Remake

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#16 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:45 AM

I think this looks awesome, and hope it opens the door for other Gameboy Zelda remakes. Visually, I think it looks fine. It's looks a bit plasticy in some places, but I think they are going for a toy-ish, or stop-motion doll look.

And for the music they used.. I wasn't a huge fan. I am not musically inclined, but it sounded off.

It's very amateurish, slightly out of tune yet authentically Japanese. It's obvious that this was intentional too. 

And this is probably why. :P I hope we get something a bit different tbh.

I'm excited to see how they handle item management, as that was my single biggest gripe with the original (and the oracles games too). All in all, this is great. And probably means the 3DS is dead. :P

• Shane and SkyLizardGirl like this

#17 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:13 AM

After giving the trailer a rewatch, I love the artstyle. It takes like half a second to stick, but then it immediately did for me.

Spoiler

• Anthus, Shane and SkyLizardGirl like this

#18 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:34 AM

I think they'll solve the inventory fiasco by just giving each item its own specific spot in the inventory UI, so the items aren't constantly shuffling around as you switch between items.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 14 February 2019 - 02:34 AM.

#19 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:44 AM

I, for one, welcome our new Smol Link.

It's rather funny, though...on my way to the grocery store earlier in the day I was thinking about the Direct and I thought "Hm...it'd be fun if they gave the 3DS a Link's Awakening remake as a nice swan song for the system." I then saw that the entire Direct was about the Switch, so I thought my guess was botched.

...and then I saw Link on his raft and my jaw dropped. I was half right at least!

#20 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:43 AM

I was reading through the comments on the trailer, and...I seriously don't understand why some people expect a game's design to change so drastically in a remake.  A 3rd person view remake of LA, so it plays like all the 3D Zeldas?  Do they not realize that's an entirely new game?  The only notable remake I'm aware of, that's completely changing the identity of a game like that, is the ongoing Final Fantasy VII remake, and even that was divisive amongst its fanbase when it was revealed.  If a company does something like that, that's a guaranteed way to split your fanbase and damage sales of your remake, since it would certainly not appeal to the players who were expecting it to play similar to what they've grown to love.

Going from 2D graphics to 3D graphics is fine though (though I prefer it didn't, and just went with higher resolution 2D graphics), because you can still retain the core gameplay style with the graphics shift.  See Final Fantasy III's remake.  I hate that art style, but it DOES play like the original game did, with some new mechanics here and there ala Pokemon FireRed and HeartGold.

Edited by Koh, 14 February 2019 - 07:02 AM.

• Shane likes this

#21 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:13 AM

The important thing is we can (most likely) use more than two items at a time now. We see Link jumping while he has the shield / sword.

Easily one of my biggest problems with the original.

#22 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

I'm really hyped for this. The graphics and artstyle kinda looked weird to me at first, but I grew to love it fast after a re-watch and I'm a big fan of it now tbh. Having more than 2 slots is gonna be nice to have if they go with it. Tiny Link is also pretty cute :P

I'll definitely pick it up when it's out, for sure. Also makes me wonder if they'll go for the Oracles at some point.

#23 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

I think a darker art style would be more fitting for a game like this I’m not picky. It’s my favorite Zelda game after all so just getting a remake is great.

The important thing is we can (most likely) use more than two items at a time now. We see Link jumping while he has the shield / sword.

Easily one of my biggest problems with the original.

Power bracelet should not have to be assigned of course, that’s way too outdated. Jumping shouldn’t require an item but it would take a lot of reworking if dungeons and the overworks to change that I guess.

As long as there is no annoying text popping up every single time you touch a boulder without the power bracelet equipped I’m good. That’s by far the most annoying thing about the original. It’s pretty much a given that we will have more items equipped at once considering the switch doesn’t have the limit of just A/B buttons.
  • Anthus and SkyLizardGirl like this

#24 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

The boulder message isn't as bad as the message that pops up when you walk in to one of those pointy structures you're supposed to dash through.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 14 February 2019 - 02:18 PM.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#25 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

We can't forget about the compass having a new feature :P

• Koh and SkyLizardGirl like this

#26 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:31 PM

Now that I look at the graphics, they look like they were going for an art diorama style for the game. I can see someone making an art diorama based off a moment in Link's Awakening that looks like that.

I wonder what kind of changes there will be compared to the original (Please get rid of those annoying text boxes that pop up whenever you come into contact with the rocks without the Power Bracelet, or the crystals that you must dash through).

#27 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:46 PM

0/10 not metroid

But in all seriousness, y'all complained about the wind waker too.

Just relax and enjoy the art style
  • Anthus and Shane like this

#28 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:42 PM

I didn't, I actually like WindWaker's artstyle.  It aged very gracefully, like the stylized PS1 games (Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, etc).  I just would've thought they'd have gone with a style closer to the artwork is all.  All that artwork is amazing!  Why not try and recreate it?  What's the point of making concept art if the things aren't going to look anything like it when they can?  Hey if Dragon Quest 8 can do it with Akira Toriyama's art style, on the PS2....

DQ8_3DS_Review01.jpg

#29 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:01 AM

Well, ... yeah.

I mean look at this mess."    They Never took this game seriously enough to make a Full 3D expanded world remake. 

But yeah , .. i was expecting an Outstanding Masterpiece with the 3D  technologies they have now.

I'm worried this should have just been a 3DS release if they were going Top-Down and just cloning the top-down Gameboy game once again.

My Expectations are always very high - after seeing Breath of the wild.  This game has more of a story than Breath of the Wild in my opinion.

I mean ,, LOOK At THIS Video and tell me, you don't think darker would have been better? 

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 15 February 2019 - 02:08 AM.

• Daniel likes this

#30 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:21 AM

I'm worried this should have just been a 3DS release if they were going Top-Down and just cloning the top-down Gameboy game once again.

My Expectations are always very high - after seeing Breath of the wild.  This game has more of a story than Breath of the Wild in my opinion.

I think this direct was subtle, yet deliberate in stating that the 3DS and Wii U are not going to be supported any more with new games. They opened with Mario Maker 2, and closed with LA Remake without a 3DS game in sight. I agree it could have worked on 3DS, but I'm glad to see it coming to Switch. The switch is part handheld after all, so I don't mind these 'simpler looking games' coming out, especially if it is something like this.

Even as an avid Zelda fan, I can admit that LA is among the four main games I haven't finished entirely (Others being OoS, and the DS games). This will give me a reason to play it, and experience it with (hopefully) a ton of QoL changes. A lot of comments I see about the graphics are along the lines of "This should look better, it's a AAA Switch game", but as other's have said, these people are kind of missing the point in a way. This remake looks awesome, and I think it will be a sleeper hit. Or an instant hit, who knows.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Remake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users