Photo

Screenshot of the Week 214

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 214 (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screen!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:16 AM

CastChaos: Reminds me of Lord of the Rings and Harvest Moon a bit...

dlbrooks34: Add more ground detail, and make the rain transparent... well, actually, screenshots in SotW just tend not to work well with rain. And just take Migo's advice. Tis all good.

Schwa: *Votes* Well, don't have any complaints, really, although I think with the overhanging leaves at the top, it'd look a little more natural...

#17 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:54 AM

Obvious Schwa'd.

CastChaos- awesome graphics, but the top left stuff looks a little weird. Good shot.

dlbrooks34- It looks a little empty. The repeating trees take up way too much of the screen, the mountains are straight, and the ground has no detail. Recommendation: Open up a Zelda map on VGMaps and try to copy that EXACTLY into ZQuest. That will teach you how to do design correctly. You'll be better off for the future. (...But don't enter those screens. icon_wink.gif )

Schwa- amazing, super-cool, great use of graphics. The entire thing flows great, the design is amazing, and the entire thing just says, out loud, VOTE FOR ME ALREADY.

Edited by LostInHyru1e, 09 June 2008 - 11:56 AM.

#18 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

CastChaos - Everything looks kind of... distorted. I, mean it looks wierd in general. icon_razz.gif

dlbrooks34 - Too plain. Not much more to say about it.

Schwa - This is by fasr the best out of the three. Great use of graphics with variety that all seems to flow together. Great Work!

#19 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

I voted for Schwa because his shot is pretty good.
dlbrooks34, why did you even submit that?

#20 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:06 AM

I voted for CastChaos, but I'm not very excited about these entries. icon_unsettled.gif Most of the non-handdrawn graphics come from pretty dated-looking tilesets.

#21 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Jun 8 2008, 11:16 PM) View Post
*Votes* Well, don't have any complaints, really, although I think with the overhanging leaves at the top, it'd look a little more natural...

I hate those overhanging leaves. They're too hard to use well. I'm fine with putting them on a map border, but that's about it.

That's one reason the Pure Set is so awesomely wonderful... Tons of tiles, and Questmakers usually don't use them all, so even several Quests all made in the Pure set are very graphically diverse from each-other. icon_thumbsup.gif

#22 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jun 11 2008, 09:10 PM) View Post

That's one reason the Pure Set is so awesomely wonderful... Tons of tiles, and Questmakers usually don't use them all, so even several Quests all made in the Pure set are very graphically diverse from each-other. icon_thumbsup.gif

That strength can also be a weakness. It has so much tiles, it's impossible to stay organized, and makes quest making with it difficult at times.

#23 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jun 11 2008, 09:31 PM) View Post

That strength can also be a weakness. It has so much tiles, it's impossible to stay organized, and makes quest making with it difficult at times.

I'm going to strongly disagree with you here. I've never had any problem using the Pure Set to make a Quest, both organization-wise and functionality, from the moment I picked it up. In my opinion, PTUX is even more organized than DoR.

Something you should work on is to avoid making absolute statements, such as "it's impossible to stay organized". Statements like that piss me off. Maybe it's impossible for YOU to stay organized in Pure, but for me and a lot of other awesome questmakers, like Plissken (I think), it's our ultimate asset. >_<

#24 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jun 12 2008, 12:04 AM) View Post

In my opinion, PTUX is even more organized than DoR.

But PTUX has overworld ground detail split into two different areas. DoR has only one. Whenever I try PTUX, I always run into that problem, which gets pretty annoying. However, the argument will go nowhere, so let's just stop arguing about it.

#25 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

It's starting to feel like that you think your opinion is all that matters. You think that people are ****ing retards for liking PTUX or something. Well, people like it. I like it. Mr. Z made one of my favorite quests with it. Just because you have trouble using it doesn't mean others do. I've worked with it before, and I'm fine with it.

Schwa: Ahh, really? I find them a pain to use, too. But hey, at least you don't need them to make a forest... there's plenty of other options, thankfully.

#26 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Jun 12 2008, 11:50 AM) View Post

It's starting to feel like that you think your opinion is all that matters. You think that people are ****ing retards for liking PTUX or something.

This is why I wanted to stop this argument. I can garentee this will generate a flame war now, and I'l probably end up banned opr something. icon_frown.gif

And just for the record, I don't think people are retards for liking PTUX. I just think it's un-organized, and I don't like it.

#27 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

I'm going to strongly disagree with you here. I've never had any problem using the Pure Set to make a Quest, both organization-wise and functionality, from the moment I picked it up. In my opinion, PTUX is even more organized than DoR.

PTUX is very well organized- organized enough for any QuestMaker to ask for. However, DoR's lettering and labeling for stuff is great and makes it good even for new users.

Most of the non-handdrawn graphics come from pretty dated-looking tilesets.

If Pure is "Dated", then every tileset but DoR is "dated." icon_smile.gif

It's starting to feel like that you think your opinion is all that matters. You think that people are ****ing retards for liking PTUX or something. Well, people like it

Hold up, Moony. You know he didn't mean that. If you have a problem with it, there are better ways to say it.

#28 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jun 12 2008, 12:04 AM) View Post

It's not just your opinion...as the maker of DoR, I say PTUX is more organized, too. icon_wink.gif

You don't have to prefer PTUX...some people like DoR's organization. But if I could, I'd have DoR be as organized as PTUX (albeit without changing most of DoR's tiles).

However, if you saw my organizational skills in real life, you'd understand why there's a limit to how organized I can in ZC, even though I put so much effort into organization...

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Jun 12 2008, 11:50 AM) View Post
It's starting to feel like that you think your opinion is all that matters. You think that people are ****ing retards for liking PTUX or something.

Hey hey, wait a minute. I don't think Russ was insulting anybody, so please, don't put words in his mouth.

I think this conversation is, and can still be, a fairly civil discussion. Let's give it a chance, please. icon_smile.gif

#29 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, I don't think Russ meant any harm, and I certainly didn't take offense to anything he said... I just disagreed with his views is all. icon_razz.gif Also, Raiden, I didn't mean to diss your tileset... Even unintentionally... @_@ It just occurred to me that I might have done that. icon_redface.gif

Anyway, all it boils down to really is preference. DoR isn't so bad; I just prefer the Pure set, probably because I've used it for so long, but I also like the way it's drawn as well. DoR is too realistic looking. Pure's enhanced GB-style of art works better with me. What can I say, I'm retro.

One tileset that I would NEVER use though is Newfirst. I hate it. It's awful. I can't believe some people still make Quests in it. X_X

#30 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:55 PM

Schwa Your screen is pretty good looking. I like the fact that house is keeping an eye on link. And the pallete is dark and gloomy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users