Who pays for the translation?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 12 August 2021 - 03:13 AM

He's gonna say that only two of the above options are viable and compare them to Type A and Type B. I think. There's always an angle here.

#17 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 12 August 2021 - 03:19 AM

This reminds me of a quest called Mayath Island Remastered by Sans and polished up by TheRock.  If you know Sans, you might know that he doesn't speak English very well.  So all the English in there is very hard to understand and some parts are incomprehensible - you should try it sometime.  I think it was a google translate but I can't be sure.  Anyway, I and several others asked TheRock to fix the English but he said that it would never change.

Now, bad English in a quest is a clear mistake.  Its not like difficulty where you can argue that someone out there might enjoy it and that its artistic taste.  No - this one is a very big and obvious mistake. But it won't ever change.  So I thought why is that?  Its because Sans ran into the dilemma.  Too expensive to fix and no one here will pay for it.

But the thing is that Sans isn't alone.  What about scripting?  Scripting is a foreign language that most people can't speak.  Where's the translation for them and who pays for it?  The ZC devs can speak scripting perfectly but they're not going to translate it for those who can't.  They'd face the same dilemma and this has already played out when I asked for modular scripitng.

What about if I only speak type B?  I am now expected to translate my quest into type A to accommodate for the ZC audience's tastes.  Once again the same dilemma as Sans.  Its going to be very expensive to properly translate everything.  Who's going to pay for it?  So, I'll take a shortcut and use google translate and hey presto a gold ring for type A players.  Do they like the translation - nope.

Anyone see the trend here?

• Twilight Knight, Shane, Jenny and 1 other like this

#18 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 12 August 2021 - 06:38 AM

No one expects James24 will make any Type A game. But every one expects James24 will defeat super bosses of Yuurand, and shows videos of them on YouTube.

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 12 August 2021 - 08:45 PM.

• Twilight Knight, Evan20000 and coolgamer012345 like this

#19 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:26 AM

Now, bad English in a quest is a clear mistake.  Its not like difficulty where you can argue that someone out there might enjoy it and that its artistic taste.  No - this one is a very big and obvious mistake.

Play Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal and say this again.

Unironically btw, bad English is entertaining. It's fun, and in a community that's about socializing and having fun, guess what, those people are going to accept those users having bad English and just go about their day accordingly, they can live with a language barrier. To argue that poor English inherently decreases the artistic taste is silly. Their honest, raw understanding of the English language is exclusively more artistic taste in the dialogue as it is. To fix it is, in your own terms, Type A as fuck, buddy.

Edited by Einsiety, 12 August 2021 - 07:27 AM.

#20 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:37 AM

Now, bad English in a quest is a clear mistake.  Its not like difficulty where you can argue that someone out there might enjoy it and that its artistic taste.  No - this one is a very big and obvious mistake.

220px-Aybabtu.png

• Haylee and coolgamer012345 like this

#21 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 12 August 2021 - 08:11 AM

What about if I only speak type B?  I am now expected to translate my quest into type A to accommodate for the ZC audience's tastes.  Once again the same dilemma as Sans.  Its going to be very expensive to properly translate everything.  Who's going to pay for it?  So, I'll take a shortcut and use google translate and hey presto a gold ring for type A players.  Do they like the translation - nope.

unknown.png
credit: Shane

Edited by Mani Kanina, 12 August 2021 - 08:27 AM.

#22 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 12 August 2021 - 08:23 AM

Anyone see the trend here?

i think i'm seeing one

• Rambly, Twilight Knight, Mitchfork and 4 others like this

#23 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 12 August 2021 - 01:27 PM

Have companies pay for advertisements in your quest. I asked a local business if he would do this and he said "no", but some businesses might want to.
  • Twilight Knight likes this

#24 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:39 AM

Plenty of people have asked me to make a type A version of LoH and LoH:IU.  Perhaps not directly, but I can tell from the way they are talking and their criticisms.  Moosh, Shane and DarkFlameSheep are clear examples.  And they expect it for free or for $10 like a steam game.  Do people realize the kind of hours that go into making a game and how much that's worth?  Or is it that they just see commercial games catering for all difficulty preferences and selling for $10 an expect the same from someone who isn't paid?

So my deal to people is if they pay me for ALL the hours I spend making the type A version of LoH then I'll do it.  At least they have an option in this case - albeit a very expensive one.  I estimate that it'll take about 300 to 400 hours to properly translate LoH into a type A game.  And my pay rate isn't gong to be cheap - I don't work for free and I don't work for cheap.  You want me, you pay for me.  I'll add in another concession that you may sell and redistribute the type A version to recover your costs but with no steam that's not going to be practical.

Have companies pay advertisements in your quest.  Good idea.  But the only way you get any significant money from doing that is to have a large audience - and to have a large audience might run afoul of Nintendo and its copyright.  You see, in order to escape copyright you need to keep audience small.  If the audience is small then each of them are going to have to pay a lot more than they would if the audience is large.  And people don't like to pay big.

• Twilight Knight, Shane, coolgamer012345 and 1 other like this

#25 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:21 AM

im not sure whos asking for a type a version of liberation. if you remove the type b from liberation all you have is a shitty game. liberation only exists to be type b.

#26 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:29 AM

I surely made some suggestions for you James. But now they are already old things.

Okay, I always put the my newest suggestion on signature for you. When you want to know it, you can check it on my signature. 

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 13 August 2021 - 11:53 AM.

#27 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:34 AM

Plenty of people have asked me to make a type A version of LoH and LoH:IU.  Perhaps not directly, but I can tell from the way they are talking and their criticisms.  Moosh, Shane and DarkFlameSheep are clear examples. .

I believe this talk of things being worthless and this whole Type A/Type B thing is a defense mechanism for you James after the reception Liberation of Hyrule got almost 10 years ago. But no one is asking for a lite mode, no one is asking for you to change your perfectly fine vision here and if they are, ignore them. Make all the Type B quests you want, you have my blessing!

James you are a hilarious troll, keep it up! This character of a failing money making schemer is just B tier trolling (don't want to say A tier you might feel insulted).

• Twilight Knight and Jamian like this

#28 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 06:22 AM

Or does James24 make and enjoy the real life version of LoH on PureZC? It's very good! But very horrible monsters and bosses are there, I DarkFlameSheep, Moosh,Shane, Dimi, Mani Kanina, Einsiety, Rambly, of course the final boss is Evan20000. I believe we are much harder than LoH:IU for him, muhahaha!

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 13 August 2021 - 07:03 AM.

• Twilight Knight, Shane and coolgamer012345 like this

#29 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:56 AM

Plenty of people have asked me to make a type A version of LoH and LoH:IU.  Perhaps not directly, but I can tell from the way they are talking and their criticisms.  Moosh, Shane and DarkFlameSheep are clear examples.  And they expect it for free or for $10 like a steam game.  Do people realize the kind of hours that go into making a game and how much that's worth?  Or is it that they just see commercial games catering for all difficulty preferences and selling for $10 an expect the same from someone who isn't paid?

I'm going to step back from the shitposting (really sorry everyone, don't think less of me please) and ask a serious question here:

You made Liberation of Hyrule (and Insanity Unchained) only according to your own personal tastes per your rules for quest making.  You have explicitly said that you did not consider the personal tastes of any other players, nor their ability to play and beat your game.  You set out to make a game for the smallest possible audience and you succeeded - I can tell that you are proud of what you made and like it quite a bit.  And in fact there are a decent number of players that I know care for it and like the game overall.

When you have made something with this narrow of a focus - and to some extent is deliberately excluding a certain kind of player - why are you surprised that they will tell you that they didn't like it, or even tell you that they wished certain things about the quest are different?  All you have to do is say "yes, I agree, this should be changed" or "no, I like this the way it is" - which are both perfectly acceptable responses from you as the game designer. I think we have pretty different ideas of how to approach game development, but even I reject some of my playtesters' and players' comments.

I think broadly, believing in your vision as an artist also requires that you understand that not everyone will like your vision, and being okay with people giving their honest feedback to something that you've made.

Okay, with all that being said,
ss2021-08-13at09.13.13.png

• Rambly, Anthus, Shane and 2 others like this

#30 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 10:48 AM

I'm going to step back but even I reject some of my playtesters' and players' comments.

yeah he wont get rid of the transparencies in crucible quest and its really annoying!

Okay, with all that being said,

cum time

• Mitchfork likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users