Photo

Screenshot of the Week 317

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (51 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

Beta Link
IPB Image
ScreenthatImadeoutofboredomforanonexistantproject GOOOOO!!!

Sepulcher
IPB Image
Whoever made Heart Pieces should burn.but it's so shiny, I simply must have it! I wonder if this cliff is safe enough to jump down from, wait, what am I thinking?!? This is proof that Heart Pieces drive people insane, heed the warning. Only you can prevent completionist suicide.

Moo2wo
IPB Image
Link is ecstatic that Moo2wo has granted him the ability to move diagonally. Can't you tell?

Lynker
IPB Image
I wonder where it leads...a cave?

Sheik91
IPB Image
Zelda Densetsu 3.

#2 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

I went with Sheik91. Incredible screen you have there.

Lynker's actually intrigued me a bit, but there's a perspective problem with that log. As for Moo2wo, Beta Link, and Sepulcher, I'd like to comment on how nicely those mountain tiles flow together. LTTP style mountains are quite nice.

#3 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

BL: Very nice, but Link stands out too much. 8/10
Sep: very good. I can't complain about anything here. 10/10
Moo: Needs a few enemies, but other perfect! 9/10
Lynker: I fixed it up from when it was put up. I'm giving myself 6/10
Sheik: BEAUTIFUL. 10/10

Edited by Lynker, 10 April 2011 - 08:41 PM.

#4 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

Well, sheik won this week! Greatest shot I've ever seen! But, my second chose would be beta Link. Great use of the mountains!

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

*Prays and bows down to Sheik to release the tileset*

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

The first three amazingly have their share of similarities.

Beta Link - 7/10
Pretty simple, but pleasant for a night scene.

Sepulcher - 8/10
Ooh, look at them lovely flowers. Very nice.

Moo2wo - 7/10
Very good design as well. Not sure if I agree with the colors though.

Lynker - 5/10
Interesting to see a screen where the lower ledges are on the north side of it, so it's nice to see it attempted at least. However, I don't like the grass in those lower areas, mainly due to it being the same one ground tile. It also doesn't look right being in the same screen with the better looking grass on the south side. The shape of the cliffs don't feel quite right to me either. The rest of it is decent, though.

Sheik91 - 8/10
I've always loved these graphics. It also seems like they are complex to the point that they would be difficult to get right, but you certainly got it right here.

Vote is for Sheik. Very pleasing, and at the same time very unique.

#7 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

Null'd since I'm in it.

Sepulcher: Fantastic! My favorite of the bunch. Palette is good, mountains flow quite nicely, ground detail is good... Just a very well-put-together screen. 9/10

Moo2wo: The screen-design itself is good; the mountain-work is good, ground-detail is very nice, but there's one major thing that bugs me: The palette. Now, I dunno if this is supposed to be in some kind of Dark World, or a dream or something, but it's far too blue. Grass is supposed to be green, not aqua. D: Oh, and also those purple trees/bushes. I still can't bring myself to understand why people like such oddly-colored foliage... Still, a very nice screen. 8/10

Lynker: Not bad. But I gotta say I'm not a fan of those 1-tile-high rock-faces. The corners could also do with being closed off, I think that alone would make it about ten times better. Other than that, I do like the cartoonish look you seem to be going for here, and I think that with a little work, this could really work. 6/10

Sheik: It's odd, I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about these graphics seems rather... off. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful graphics; whoever drew those has talent. But something seems very unnatural about them. I dunno. The screen-design itself is very good though. I'll put my what-the-f***ery off to the side though, and give this a 9/10. I'm sorry I can't be of much help to critique this one. <_>

#8 vanultima

vanultima

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

Shiek....Wow it doesn't even look like ZC anymore, its like it transcended the regular ZC graphics of choice.

#9 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:57 AM

Nulled my vote, since I'm in.

Beta Link: I sense a problem with big Link and small entrances. Maybe you should've sticked with simplified LttP mountains instead? Also, I'm not too fond of those GB trees here. Other than that it is a nice DoR shot, put together nicely.

Sepulcher: While the layout is nice this is a perfect example for why I always say that DoR is so terribly style clash-y (if used in a certain fashion). Why are the tMC graphics? Why is there a Pokemon tree? :/ I still like your subscreen very much though, and I think that if you reconsidered your choice of tiles this would flow very well.

Moo2Woo: This would've been my vote had I not entered. I love how the screen is put together. And I also dig the palette big time, though I still think that you should go with the blues/purples Giggidy sorted out, they looked a little better to me, as the pruple is actually really strong.

Lynker: Hm. I don't like how you've used the space of the screen here. Why is all the action on the edge? Wouldn't it be natural to have the action in the center of the screen? And yeah, I don't like the tileset either, to be honest. Did you ever try out GB? It's a great tileset, almost everything I know about screendesign I've learned using this one. It was my first, also.

Aaaaaand: Sheik91: I spot 3 tile errors. Actually not errors, but tiles that should be there and are not. Damn!

Thanks for the support, everybody.
Credit goes to the makers of SD3, the makers of Sword of Mana, Nintendo, Radien, NoeL, Giggidy, TSR and VGMaps. Oh and to me :3
So yeah, about the tileset. It's actually not that hard or complicated, really. Given, the mountains are a little tricky and a scene such as this one uses all 6 layers, but the rest is pretty easy. It's actually a great fun how flexible the tiles are, you can make almost any formation you can imagine with these mountains without too much hassle. Oh and yeah, the water is a bit annoying as it's made of a basic tile which is overlayed with 8x8 pixel tiles, but that's about it. I still need to work the palette out a bit more, I'm still not too happy with it.
About releasing the tileset: I'll see how far I get. At a point I decide that I'm finished or that I have no more intereset in it, I will submit something, at least. But that won't happen any time soon!

Edited by Sheik91, 11 April 2011 - 02:59 AM.

#10 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:01 AM

I spy with my little eye 1 2 3 shots this week with my work in them ;p

My big complaint about Sheik's shot is the shadows. The water's transparent. Why does it leave a shadow just as thick as the ones left by the very opaque cliffs?

Do love the arrangement with the mountains though. Almost makes me jealous: I'm stuck working with MC's pathetic cliff tiles.

By the way, did you get my animated flowers ripped in yet?

#11 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:14 AM

Well, I handled the shadows like SD3 did. But I agree, they could be lighter (without much trouble either). Good point. Also, yes, I've ripped in those animated flowers. There's only one kind of flower here (3 times, though) because I wanted to keep a little consistency and I have enough different colours so it doesn't look boring either. And this might acutally be the one big problem I see with this tileset: there's so much stuff to decor your screens with, but it only looks decent if you use it sparingly enough. If I make the tileset public people will be putting tons of detail in their screens :/ I secretly fear that day.

Edited by Sheik91, 11 April 2011 - 05:32 AM.

#12 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

I nulled, it's the right thing to do in my opinion, mainly because I'm in it. But if I did vote, I would go with Sheik91's shot. You are working wonders with that ZD3 tileset! Simply fantstic and beautiful! icon_clap.gif

#13 Zeldaman23

Zeldaman23

Darkie & Dhane

• Members

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

I vote Sheik because It look awesome Link in Secret of Mana 2 version.

#14 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Apr 11 2011, 04:14 AM) View Post
I secretly fear that day.

Well I guess it's not a secret anymo-

*sudden heart attack*

Edited by Giggidy, 11 April 2011 - 05:10 PM.

#15 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

All of them are nice, but in terms of layout and palette I voted for Sepulcher. I just like the feel for that environment. Maybe those flowers have something to do with it, by complementing the palette.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users