Photo

Screenshot of the Week 429

NewJourneysFire NoeL coolgamer012345 Chris Miller

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 429 (62 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Really nice SotW entries this week! Here are my thoughts:

NewJourneysFire
  • This screen is truly a masterpiece of uniqueness. I've never seen anyone make mountains have depth like that. It's design is also amazing and it just feels great overall. The waterfall's layers are really interesting as well. One thing that could improve the screenshot itself is if the darkness of the NPCs and Link change depending on the darkness of the shadow. Overall, however, it is a very great screenshot.
NoeL
  • This screenshot's graphics create a really nice atmosphere for the entirety of the screenshot. However, I have seen something like this before. But the perspective on the wall looks simply great!
coolgamer012345
  • The tileset looks really nice, I've got to say. Great work on the custom set! However, the screen itself does lack some necessary details; try filling up the empty spaces around the screens.
Chris Miller
  • Nice sideview screen here. Looks nice, and so does the graphics.
In the end, I decided to vote for NewJourneysFire. Congrats! :D

Edit: Yes! I was the tie breaker! :superevil:

Edited by DaviAwesome, 21 October 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#17 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Voted for NJF, unique use of such a simple and "classic" tileset :lol: Do I need to say more? :D

• David likes this

#18 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

I applaud NoeL's use of an eyepopping tileset with consistent perspective. The palette is moody and the subscreen is sexy. I love it. NewJourneysFire's shot is a close second. It's amazing how good classic can be made to look with a few shadow details.

(I notice now how often members voted NJF a "close second." Sorry to be yet another. :()

#19 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Oh man, two spectacular shots this week. NJF's use of the classic set is mind-boggling. The way you use those mountains... I can't lie, I'm a bit jealous. I can't imagine making something like that. And then we have NoeL, with gorgeous custom tiles. I love the perspective on the walls; it actually makes sense and follows the exterior perspective that most Zelda games use, which makes more sense then the suddenly overhead interior perspective.

Really hard to choose, but it the end, I went with NJF. But congrats to both of you. Both the shots are easily SotM worthy.

#20 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thanks to everybody who's been supporting this style with the classic tile set. When I decided to build using Classic tileset, I started to explore my options. I just happened to discover this style of building by fluke pretty much, but I soon went with it and am now exploring this form of shade and depth throughout this quest.

Unfortunately all npcs or Link will not take advantage of such shade as of yet (or not at all for this quest if I can't execute it). While all the rocks appear to be shaded, they are all using additional palette colours I designed myself, which is why only the backgrounds are shaded. What I could do is create additional transparent layers which will add even more depth (so that link and the npcs become darker as well, but that opens up a whole new list of problems).

What I can say is that this is the beginning of a new discovery and a new way anybody could build using the classic tileset. So I'm inviting many suggestions for improvement for all who may have some ideas.

#21 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Fantastic shots! Very, very nice- every one. I voted for NJF. Noel was a very close second. I didn't really like the mood the graphics of the Auquementus created though. Looks more like something out of Beowulf than the Legend of Zelda. Still great job!

-Strike

#22 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I voted for NJF. Amazing shot... And it is made with the classic tileset.

#23 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Is Noel's work completely custom made from the ground up?

#24 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

It was a tough choice for me, but in the end I voted for NoeL's shot.  The new perspective is great and the new "Aquamentus"-style enemy is awesome!

#25 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Graphically NoeL's is superior, but design wise, NewJourneysFire wins hands down. An interesting concept and not like anything really seen or attempted before. While NoeL's is pretty, it's also fairly boring (But don't get me wrong, I love the graphics). Vote went to NewJourney'sFire.

Edited by Bourkification, 21 October 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#26 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

This was bugging me and I don't want to be intrusive but who voted for me? I am kinda happy because of it but I am really curious who did it.

#27 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

Is Noel's work completely custom made from the ground up?

Yep, except for the text.

#28 alek

alek

posting on internet

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

NJF wins for making classic look awesome

#29 aracari

aracari

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

NewJourneyFire gets my vote. Noel's work is par-excellence as far as pixel art goes, but the actual screen just didn't catch my attention the way NewJourneysFire's did.

#30 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:00 AM

NewJourneysFire wins my vote by major margin due to the way he used layers to build this composition using classic tiles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NewJourneysFire, NoeL, coolgamer012345, Chris Miller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users