Photo

Screenshot of the Week 82

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 82 (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 82

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:09 AM

Mr. Z: This is a screenshot from an actual quest of mine. It's a comedy quest, because I would never ever have someone to say "Meh" in a serious quest.
The reason why this screen is so uninteresting is because I sent this in for SOTW when it was still very low on entrants icon_razz.gif

IaN: I kinda figured Inquisition would be a more evil quest, but now I've seen the title screen, it looks kinda happy though (Flower, happy colors)

Gashin: Those houses don't quite look like a river icon_razz.gif
Still, those tiles all look mighty good.

PrinceMSC: Yay, Minish Cap tiles, but I don't remember a purple palette in the game.

Shoelace: Poor Gibdo and Leever. Nice screen.

Snort: This screen looks pretty complicated, but I like it.

#17 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:22 AM

I have to vote for Gashin's tiles.. They are very nice looking. It's not just that Prince ripped the tiles from TMC. His layout is great, and the palette is superb. It's just it was a hard decision, and I went with Gashin, cause he did a great job, with is custom work. Good job, Gashin! Also, the rest of the shots were great, except for Mr.Z's joke shot, of course.. It still looks okay though. IaN's shot would have my third vote. It looks great. I like the title screen. I can't wait to see what that quest is going to turn out like. Also, HoD is looking great from you, Shoelace. Keep up the great work.. Snort, the ripped ML tiles look good, with the POV mountains.. It's just you need to take your shots in ZC. You can't see link, or enemies..:\

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE(IaN @ Mar 13 2005, 03:21 PM)
Using someone else's tiles is the same thing as using ripped tiles, just that the tiles ripped from a game were made by someone who got payed for it. Pure is composed mostly of ripped tiles, so when Pure shots were winning they winning becuase of ripped tiles.

I would say there is a difference. The difference is that Nintendo didn't release a collection of tiles, they released a fully-made game. If Snort is using Ccc's tileset, that means he is giving content, form, and function to something which has not yet been seen in any game.

Also, when Pure screenshots win, I doubt you will find many people anymore who say they voted for it because of the quality of the ripped tiles. From what I've seen, Pure is simply easy to work with, which causes people to find it easier to create good screens.

#19 Aaron

Aaron

AKA partymetroid

• Members

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:08 AM

icon_wow.gif Holy crap! SotW 82 was well worth the wait. Gashin's and PrinceMSC were amazing. But, I very impressed by PrinceMSC's 3D-like tiles and perspectives got me, so I voted for him. If I could, I would vote for both. Gashin's items and trees were awesome. Those building were... icon_thumbsup.gif great! IaN's was just as good-looking, but it's not very Zelda-ish. Mr.Z's got me a little laugh. Good job everybody.

#20 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:23 AM

There are a lot of great shots this week. Too bad for me, since using my Pure shots aren't enough to compete. Oh well. I love PrinceMSC's shot, I would have voted for that one if I didn't enter. Although, I am still in love with the AI tileset because I want to make a game with the tileset. Anyways, soon when my game is released I will be submiting shots of my new game which is a custom with classic tileset from me. As of right now, I have no votes, but with this competiton, I will be happy if I get at least one. icon_razz.gif

#21 lasersquirrel

lasersquirrel

Sparkly Glimpse of Hope

• Members

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:08 AM

I would have voted for IaN's, just because I like it when people have a fancy title screen like that... but Gashin's was just too awesome. It has a certain feel to it, like this is a really old place or something. It just seems very unique and unusual, compared to most of the ZC screenshots I've seen. icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

#22 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Mar 14 2005, 02:15 AM)
I would say there is a difference. The difference is that Nintendo didn't release a collection of tiles, they released a fully-made game. If Snort is using Ccc's tileset, that means he is giving content, form, and function to something which has not yet been seen in any game.

Yes, I see your point, but aren't the tilesets made to be used to make games anyways? Tilesets are just pre-production games, which are made to make fully-made games.

Also, when Pure screenshots win, I doubt you will find many people anymore who say they voted for it because of the quality of the ripped tiles. From what I've seen, Pure is simply easy to work with, which causes people to find it easier to create good screens.

But Pure is composed mostly of ripped tiles from the GB games, and other edits from the PZC community, just with new palettes and wicked organization. Albiet a lot of the rips are edited to fit the needs of the tileset, but so are a lot of the TMC tiles that have been ripped by numerous people in the past few months. The only difference is that this is being done by many people by themselves, and not for one big set.

I'm not saying that everyone should use ripped tiles, I just think why should I spend 2 hours to make just a mockup for wall tiles when I can spend those two hours ripping them from agame, and then editing those to make it even better. Not everything is purely ripped, a lot of tiles still have to be edited to fit into ZC, and to fit into what the person needs. Sprite-editing is a lot more effecient than sprite-making for those who don't have the time or skill to do so.

IaN: I kinda figured Inquisition would be a more evil quest, but now I've seen the title screen, it looks kinda happy though (Flower, happy colors)

Yeah, you bring up a good point. I didn't originally plan on going with the leaves and flowers and stuff, at first I just had the tablet, and I was looking for something to put in the background. I think it looks nice, but it still has a far way to go.

Edited by IaN, 14 March 2005 - 10:43 AM.

#23 fenoxfrost

fenoxfrost

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

Wow! All of these are really good. Decisions, decisions. I'm torn between IaN, Gashin, and PrinceMSC. Hmm... icon_confused2.gif I'm going to have to go with IaN's. I really like his Title screen and his use of design and color. I also really like the mountain scene. Definately IaN. icon_lol.gif

#24 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:15 PM

Mr. Z: I get the feeling you didn't really try. icon_neutral.gif
IaN: Woah. This definitely is one of the best title screens I've seen in a long time. Excellent job. icon_thumbsup.gif
Gashin: Just wow. I'm amazed anyone could get that cool at tiles. This is excellent, though there doesn't seem to be much of a depth feeling between the buildings and the ground. icon_odd.gif
PrinceMSC: Really nice! I find nothing wrong with this shot. I don't think the purple is bad at all. You win my vote.
Shoelace: I think I'm really starting to hate Pure lava. icon_sweat.gif It's just ugly. Anyway, the setup is fairly good. Personally, I think there should be a bit more variety though. And your map is messed up. I'm guessing it's not that way in the game though. icon_odd.gif
Snort: This shot is pretty good. Really awesome setup. But, some variety in the trees would have added to this pic.

#25 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 March 2005 - 02:42 AM

And your map is messed up. I'm guessing it's not that way in the game though.

No, the map is just fine. I made the map as according to the level and open areas. And yeah, I don't like the Pure lava either.

Also I like PrinceMSC's shot. I don't care if it is ripped because I didn't make my tiles either, just edited them. The purple in his shot is the color of the ground in the graveyard.

#26 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:59 AM

Okidokeee!!! It's mine time to speak about teh images of games.

Mr. Z- Well, your caption really says it. Looks good though.

IaN- That is a very neat looking title screen, or story screen. It's very well made. Good stuff. icon_wink.gif

Gashin- Hey, this is an excellent picture Gashin. This is truly a piece of art we have here. Great stuff. *votes*

PrinceMSC- Something I really didn't expect. An entire screen of ripped tiles that was submitted by Prince. It's a nice screen, and good setup, but I really like your custom made stuff. Good screen though.

Shoelace- Cool stuff Mr. Lace. I like how the floor looks like it's pretty close to the same level as the lava. Cool screen.

Snort- Good looking screen Snort. It's neat seeing them tunnel/passageways in the side of the mountain. Looks good.

See, I told you guys that I wouldn't end up getting a shot in, even though I said I wanted to...

#27 Highsight

Highsight

Jake Wins

• Members

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:44 AM

Mr Z.: Your right that is uninteresting. icon_razz.gif
IaN: Nice title screen. icon_smile.gif
Gashin: icon_drool.gif icon_drool.gif icon_drool.gif *votes*
PrinceMSC: Wow this looks great. icon_biggrin.gif
Shoelace: This looks good but it doesn't look as good as the other screens I have seen in your quest. :\
Snort:The layout looks great but I think you should have entered somthing a bit better. :\

This is going to be a close one. icon_smile.gif

#28 phil

phil

Master

• Members

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:25 AM

DOH!!!

Prince's shot didn't show up so I voted for Ian's...but than it popped up after it refreshed when I voted...and no offense to Ian...but I would've voted for Prince...

#29 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:31 AM

Mr. Z: icon_lol.gif Lemme guess. He stands there for a while, and then he accidentally makes a passageway appear.

Ian: Interesting title screen, but it's a bit bright.

Gashin: You say those are custom tiles? I swear I've seen them before... icon_sweat.gif If you ask me, the colors are kinda dull...

PrinceMSC: Holy Minish Cap! :votes for Prince:

Shoelace: So Level 3 has the Magic Boomerang... and what else? Nice touch with the enemies buried in lava. Would be my backup vote.

Snort: Mountains, passageways... (yawn).

Mr. Z, that purple pallette is from Royal Valley.

Edited by zmaster, 16 March 2005 - 10:38 AM.

#30 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(zmaster @ Mar 16 2005, 08:31 AM)
Gashin: You say those are custom tiles?  I swear I've seen them before... icon_sweat.gif If you ask me, the colors are kinda dull...

swear all you want, it won't change the fact that they are completley, 100% custom. plus, it might get you in trouble with your parents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users