Photo

Screenshot of the Week 155

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 155 (72 member(s) have cast votes)

5 entries to show off this time around!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 andrewmcd1

andrewmcd1

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:02 AM

My placings:

1.Limzo - Good use of the Minish Cap tileset. Only problem is that I feel you put too many flower tiles at the top of the screen.

=2.Sharon - a good example of a standard dungeon, but there isn't anything special in it.

=2.Radien - again, a good example of a dungeon, yet I think that the table is too imposing to have on the screen.

=2.Solarrin4 - You've made a good overworld screen, but it seems too bland.

5.Daiv - Ack. I think your smiley (icon_deformed.gif) sums this shot up. The sprites look out of place and hard to distinguish. Also, when has Grass ever been blue (apart from in bluegrass)?

#32 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(andrewmcd1 @ Feb 22 2007, 08:02 AM) View Post

=2.Sharon - a good example of a standard dungeon, but there isn't anything special in it.

I think a dungeon floating in the sky is pretty special, but you're entitled to your opinion.

#33 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

Sharon, was that really neccesary? I know it needs serious work and really the reason I put it up was that I needed some advice. I knew stuff looked really out of place. The reason I make the stuff I do is that I don't want to plague the database with overrated pure set cliches.

Also, when has Grass ever been blue?

ALTERNATE DIMENSION!
I have a hosted forum spot, which means someone thinks I'm worth something.

Could anyone ever give constructive criticism rather than ripping others apart? It's really pissing me off.
Unique screen here. The sprites need to be fixed, they don't use any outline while the rest of the set does. The BS mountain is missing a few tiles or was misused. The palette could use some editing too.
/M/ gets a cookie for being nice or at least not as mean as everyone else.

Edited by Daiv, 23 February 2007 - 11:21 PM.

#34 Nyeshet

Nyeshet

• Members

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

Daiv:
- Besides flourescent blue, the tops of the trees blend in too well with the uncut grass 'above' them.

Radien:
- Very well done. Very realistic style, nice new(?) tiles. It will be tough to choose between yours and Sharon Daniels this time.

Solarrain4:
- This scene is too common, I hope you don't mind my saying. I have seen so many like it before, that it requires something truly new for me to vote for a scene such as this (new tilesets, interesting / new arrangements of known tiles, etc). It is a well done scene, but it is too common a scene to receive the vote.

Lizmo:
- While I like the fir trees, the pastel colors get to me a bit.

Sharon Daniel:
- Very well done. The fact that clouds and forest can be seen in the (far) distance beneath the floor is quite interesting. It will be tough to vote between yours and Radiens.

#35 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE(Nyeshet @ Feb 25 2007, 02:39 AM) View Post

Radien:
- It will be tough to choose between yours and Sharon Daniel's this time.

Sharon Daniel:
- It will be tough to vote between yours and Radien's.

Who exactly did you vote for?

#36 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE(.TakaM @ Feb 19 2007, 01:05 AM) View Post
Radien
Problems:
  • the tiles on the table are pretty repetitive and busy
  • near pillow shading on the floor tiles
Solutions:[list]
[*]I'd recommend losing the highlight shade (and maybe the darkest shade) on the tiles, then flipping them 90 degrees, having most of the details go verticle makes the perspective a bit awkward

I've tried reducing the colors on the texture in several ways, and it always looks like crap. It's really not the type of graphic that it can work on, because all the colors are extremely close to each other, unlike my Minish Cap walls (which are color-reduced, even though nobody seems to notice). I suppose I could try to reduce the contrast of the table, but that requires palette editing, which has its limitations because it interferes with other tiles. Thankfully I have at least two CSets to play with, though.

I have indeed taken your advice and rotated the wood to horizontal rather than vertical... well, for this screen at least. I didn't throw out the old tiles, as they'll be useful for tables that stretch longest from N to S. Anyway, thanks for the advice and the vote.

I'm continuing to mess around with the floor tiles; thanks for your suggestion. I could cop out and say that they were that way when I ripped them from the game's chipset, but that doesn't prevent me from editing them, so I might as well try to do so. icon_razz.gif Actually, Linkus has made a nice tile offer to me -- a replacement floor tile which I've been editing... I bet you'll all say it's too repetitive again, but despite that I think it's turning out nicely. Also has reduced pillow shading.

QUOTE(NoeL @ Feb 20 2007, 04:03 PM) View Post
I have to disagree with you there. Radien's shot is a dining room. Dining rooms are generally rectangular with a table in the middle.

Thanks for saying this so I didn't have to. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(andrewmcd1 @ Feb 22 2007, 06:02 AM) View Post
=2.Radien - again, a good example of a dungeon, yet I think that the table is too imposing to have on the screen.

Well, it IS the central object of the room. icon_shrug.gif Furniture in monasteries and mansions is often imposing, and that's no accident. The table here also contains the entirety of the riddle/puzzle intended for this screen. The reason it lacks enemies isn't because I forgot to add them.

QUOTE(NoeL @ Feb 19 2007, 05:16 AM) View Post
I'm getting sick of hearing this week after week. Maybe a handicap system should be introduced. The more wins/votes you receive the more votes you need to win.

Actually, I'm thinking that the best thing for this crowd might be to simply have a blind poll. Show the results only after the poll is over. Not sure whether that is supported on this version of Invision Board, though.

#37 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

Actually, I'm thinking that the best thing for this crowd might be to simply have a blind poll. Show the results only after the poll is over. Not sure whether that is supported on this version of Invision Board, though.

That is a very good idea. This way everyone will stop complaining how much they are losing by, and how much one person is winning by.

Anyways, congrats on winning SoTW 155, Radien.

#38 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

They all look good, atleast thats what we're suppost to say to the submitters.
To be honest, the only two shots that got caught my eye were Radiens and Sharon Daniels.

Sharon Daniels shot got my vote because their is just so much uniqueness to it, my votes are also not bias.
If the screenshot looks good, I'll choose it.
Radiens shot was very good but I've been seeing alot of SotW shots that had simular graphics, this is not the reason I did not choose it though.
The reason I didn't choose it was because it just looked to boxy, I do like the sprites.

I don't know what you mean by standard, if you think a dungeon floating in the sky is standard, I don't know what kind of dungeon is not standard to you.
What ever, its your opinion. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Zemious, 26 February 2007 - 10:22 AM.

#39 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Radien)

I am not sure if this is possible, but I could look into it. It is certainly a fantasic idea, but it is just a question of whether or not Invision Power Board has such an option.

EDIT: Removed a second suggestion of mine, as I decided I didn't like it after all and it didn't pertain to the matter anyway.
Also, I didn't find any option about not showing the results until a certain point. I doubt the option exists, but I will have to look harder.

#40 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

I voted for Radien, because of the great detail and the seup is very well done.
Sharon Daniel came close, though. the screen had a nice style to it.

#41 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:13 PM

well, considering there is something like a floating dungeon in the sky in Lost Isle, and now in Sharon's shot and others I've seen in previews of new quests coming out. I do believe that a 'sky' dungeon is now becoming a 'standard' of Zelda quests. Its still new in its infancy, but I bet you it'll be a staple 'type' of Zelda dungeon set.

#42 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

Remember back in the summer when everyone was doing things in Greyscale? How many greyscale things do you see now?

#43 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

Remember that Minish Cap had a sky dungeon, and so did Twilight Princess. So, it's a new trend in official Zelda games, too. It hasn't been done quite so often in ZC, but the idea certainly isn't a stretch. And as DFW said, apparently it's been done before, though not excessively.

I think Sharon's shot is all right, but the perspective bothers me. Not that I think there's a better way to do specifically what she did -- I think the tileset isn't quite made for a pool of water that works exactly that way. I'd also suggest changing the palette for the distant ground; being that far up would probably make it even harder than that to make out the details of the ground.

While I'm at it, here are my comments on the other shots:

Daiv:

If this is another dimension, it would've been a good idea to say so in the screenshot notes so people wouldn't give it funny looks. As was mentioned before, you need to use diagonal tiles to replace some of the existing BS mountain tiles. As for the NPCs, I'm not sure why they're just standing around.

Radien:

YOU SUCK.

Solarrain4:

Nothing terribly wrong with this picture, but sometimes making a good choice of screen to capture and display is key. Not much special is going on here, even though it may be a perfectly valid and correctly-made screenshot. That's about all I have to say.

Limzo:

Good job rendering the MC palettes and tiles so accurately... As for MC mountains being blocky, well, that's mostly because of the MC cliff tiles. They mostly avoided using diagonals, so they do look that way. However, that doesn't mean their cliffs are all square.

What's already been said holds true, but also, I never saw flowers growing so densely in TMC. And as said before, the walkability of this screen looks just plain awkward. You've already done a lot and have great potential, though. Keep at it. icon_smile.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

#44 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Mar 4 2007, 09:43 PM) View Post

Limzo:

Good job rendering the MC palettes and tiles so accurately... As for MC mountains being blocky, well, that's mostly because of the MC cliff tiles. They mostly avoided using diagonals, so they do look that way. However, that doesn't mean their cliffs are all square.

What's already been said holds true, but also, I never saw flowers growing so densely in TMC. And as said before, the walkability of this screen looks just plain awkward. You've already done a lot and have great potential, though. Keep at it. icon_smile.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

Heheh...

The screen has been completely reworked, so much so that it looks completely different now...

And it was quite easy getting those palletes. I just started with what Relic placed there originally, and expanded from it using VisualBoy advance's Pallete viewer, and with the help of 256 colour tiles and the editing of a couple of Csets, I've managed to make the overworld palletes pretty much completely recreated in ZC. The only problem is that I can't rip certain things now as my manual recolouring sucks...

#45 Bonegolem

Bonegolem

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

Looks like a landslide to me. Impressive shot, Radien! I like the monastery idea, and I can't even begin to fathom the riddle within ^.^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users