Photo

Screenshot of the Week 155

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 155 (72 member(s) have cast votes)

5 entries to show off this time around!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:06 PM

Daiv - Those are interesting looking custom sprites. I can't tell whether or not they fit with the rest of the screen graphics. Not bad, but not impressive either.

Radien - My choice without a doubt. This goes well above any beyond what is typically done for ZC, as it looks like a dining hall in every way. Excellent graphics and excellent design.

Solarrain4 - Looks pretty standard to me. Not bad, but not enough for winning a SotW competition.

Limzo - Good choice of graphics, but the design still makes the shot look kind of artificial (straight cliffs that turn only at 90 degree angles and trees that line up perfectly). When it comes to natural things, some chaos can add to the beauty. After all, nature can be quite the mad scientist.

Sharon Daniel - My second favorite choice. Good graphics, but the design certainly goes beyond those graphics. It is work like this that give tilesets a good name. So no, your screen does not suck at least in my eyes.

#17 Solarrain4

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between

• Members

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

I know I'm not going to win anyway. Just felt like giving it a "shot" XD

There's no shame in losing to Radien... That shot is, without a doubt, the best there. That shot has my vote.

#18 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

Radien. Now I've got to figure out what to do with some stuff, thanks to you. Mainly more palette fixes... icon_razz.gif

#19 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(/M/)
Would have been my first vote if you would have taken the time and setup a good screen. Looks like you just randomly put things in no given order.

Well, it did start a bit randomly, I wasn't sure what to do, it's the first screen I've done on this map, so it's kind of semi-random

QUOTE(Revfan)
Limzo: Hmm... a good work of Minish Cap graphics there, nicely ripped from the ROM image, and I like the more subtle palette edit so there aren't so many distracting colors. The issue here is Screen balance. The trees at the top distracts the viewer from the rest of the shot, and all they see are those trees.

Hmm. The pallete is actually the same as the Minish Woods from in Minish Cap. I'm "extending" Relic's Minish Cap tile collection. And I may spend quite some time on perfecting this shot before I make another screen, so I know how to make overworld screens. Then I'll spend a long time on the next screen I make (no, I'm not submiting the whole map to Sotw.) until that one is perfect. And so on and so on...

QUOTE(Sharon)
Limzo's screen has trees and mountains placed one combo away from the edge of the screen... That ain't good.

Well, you can walk underneath the leaves, so that's a bit better, I'll see about this though. Perhaps less trees. And I'll move the tree stump one tile further up, and then the bottom of the mountains, to follow.

QUOTE(Freedom)
Radien's shot is really good, but Limzo really captured the Minish feel in his shot, so I let the vote go to him this round.

Aww, thanks. I was trying to imitate the Minish cap style (forget the graphics for a seccond, just look at the screen) in this shot, and I obviously succeeded.

QUOTE(.TakaM)

Limzo
Problems:
  • just too many flowers really, I never really liked the MC flowers, they look like badly resized pixels
Solutions:
  • just cut down on the flowers a bit or mix them up with some alternative flower tiles
Overall:
It's nice to see a regular sized link sprite, pretty well laid out screen with no errors, just a little bland.. but that kinda comes with MC's tiles

Hehe. I'll attempt to tame my jungle of flowers, but I'm not gonna put 'em with different flower tiles. That'd be ewwww. Yar, when extracting the pallete information (no, I didn't grab it before anybody asumes) I got it a bit wrong, so while this pallete is nice, it's a little bland. I'll correct the pallete, but I'm going to keep this one, 'cos I like it icon_razz.gif.

QUOTE(Blue Link)
I voted for Lizmo because those Four Swords/Minish Cap Tiles look good! Hope you win this one.
icon_razz.gif Thanks, but with Radien to compete with down their I highly doubt I'll win. And gosh, I'm not gonna put ALTTP tiles in here, it's hard enough with the Minish Cap tiles.

QUOTE(Nathaniel)
Limzo - Good choice of graphics, but the design still makes the shot look kind of artificial (straight cliffs that turn only at 90 degree angles and trees that line up perfectly). When it comes to natural things, some chaos can add to the beauty. After all, nature can be quite the mad scientist.

Yeah, I'm gonna fix the trees like I said earlier, and when I've ripped in the diagonal mountain tiles (yes, Minish Cap does have some) I'll use them. The alternate way of making diagonal is too large to fit on this screen. And I agree, nature is more insane than Dr Frankenstein.

Wow. I had quite a pleasant first entry to Sotw. Maybe I'm not so bad at screen designing after all.

#20 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:25 PM

No offense Limzo but I think it was probably the graphics that got you the votes rather than the screen design.

#21 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:30 PM

That may be true, NoeL, but it's not exactly unusual for SotW. I mean, look at Radien's screen... It's a rectangular room with a table in the middle. Not too exciting, but the graphics are new and shiny. icon_shrug.gif

#22 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

Yeah. That's the curse of SotW I'm afraid. You can't even rip something from some beautiful game where only one copy was made and it was released only in Sudan where it was buried in a landfill, and people will say "lol rip u fail"

Yet if you do have an exciting shot, the claim will be "pure shot u fail"

Meh.

#23 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:31 AM

Sharon DanielProblems:the clouds look really jagged over the trees in the distanceSolutions:first I'd suggest just using the tiles from lttp, the trees in your tiles have no shape to them, they look flat, painted onto the ground, just use the lttp trees, no point reinventing the wheel. As for the clouds, you just need to AA them into the trees.Overall:pretty nice dungeon screen, looks good, just need to rework those background trees

These tiles I'm using are default in this tileset. I didn't even realize that they're different than the ones in aLttP. Thanks for pointing that out.

#24 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Feb 20 2007, 01:25 AM) View Post
No offense Limzo but I think it was probably the graphics that got you the votes rather than the screen design.

Really? I knew my screen design is very bad, but I always thought Minish Cap graphics were sucky compaired to some other relatively simple stuff.

#25 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

Daiv

Too blue no green there so it's like a gient ball of blue paint fell down

Radien

Great shot like the DGN walls and the big table

Solarrain4

Something is missing from your shot i just can't put my finger on it
wait more ground detill and driffet trees

Limzo : Vote

Great use of MC GFX but mabey less flowers but everything is great even the link tiles and the way he is standing

Sharon Daniel

good use of the GFX but just looks like every day quests

#26 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Feb 20 2007, 01:21 PM) View Post

Really? I knew my screen design is very bad, but I always thought Minish Cap graphics were sucky compaired to some other relatively simple stuff.

Really? I think they're awesome. BIG step up from lttp graphics.

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Feb 19 2007, 08:30 PM) View Post

That may be true, NoeL, but it's not exactly unusual for SotW. I mean, look at Radien's screen... It's a rectangular room with a table in the middle. Not too exciting, but the graphics are new and shiny. icon_shrug.gif
I have to disagree with you there. Radien's shot is a dining room. Dining rooms are generally rectangular with a table in the middle. As far as his design goes, he's designed a pretty good looking dining room. 10 points.

Limzo on the other hand... square mountains, tree clones all in a row, neat patch of bushes, a piece of fence that doesn't seem to be there for any particular reason... nature isn't supposed to look like that. Then there's the screens blocking. Half of the bottom has unwalkable tiles 1 row from the edge. 3/4 of the top has unwalkable tiles 1 row from the edge. And then there's the focus issues. With LOZ scrolling, you want the focus to be centred in most situations to give the player visibility of his surroundings. In Limzo's shot, the centre is full of mountain, and the main action area is squished into the lower left. so for design, 1 point.

Edited by NoeL, 20 February 2007 - 07:14 PM.

#27 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

With LOZ scrolling, you want the focus to be centred in most situations to give the player visibility of his surroundings. In Limzo's shot, the centre is full of mountain, and the main action area is squished into the lower left. so for design, 1 point.

That is correct, his shot is unbalanced. Your eyes are more focused on the top of the screen because of those shiny trees. If you were to spread the trees around, make things look more like a forest.

#28 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Feb 21 2007, 12:03 AM) View Post

Really? I think they're awesome. BIG step up from lttp graphics.

Well, I like Minish Cap graphics, but they could be improved greatly (not by Revfan though *gets shot*)

I have to disagree with you there. Radien's shot is a dining room. Dining rooms are generally rectangular with a table in the middle. As far as his design goes, he's designed a pretty good looking dining room. 10 points.

I know that is directed towards Sharon, but I agree. Had I not nulled for obvious reasons, I would have voted for Radien's shot.

Limzo on the other hand... square mountains, tree clones all in a row, neat patch of bushes, a piece of fence that doesn't seem to be there for any particular reason... nature isn't supposed to look like that.

Okay, this is where I need to step in. Minish Cap, I know it didn't have the best overworld design in the world, but I'm trying to imitate it, and all of that is exactly what Minish Cap did. I know nature isn't supposed to look like that, but nature is crazy, and I'm only doing what is reflected in the Minish Cap.
Although it is a bit weird, I kinda like it icon_razz.gif

Then there's the screens blocking. Half of the bottom has unwalkable tiles 1 row from the edge. 3/4 of the top has unwalkable tiles 1 row from the edge. And then there's the focus issues. With LOZ scrolling, you want the focus to be centred in most situations to give the player visibility of his surroundings. In Limzo's shot, the centre is full of mountain, and the main action area is squished into the lower left. so for design, 1 point.

This I can agree with. I'm gonna redo the screen, to give the player LOADS more room, and follow all the advice I've been given by people here. Hopefully it will turn out better.

#29 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:04 PM

Donna- Pallete is rather annoying, and the sprites resemble poor Cave Story sprites. Not particuarlly good setup either.

Ruth- Boring screen, and at some points (tabletop vs.bottem) colors cliche a bit. However it still has that ring of "new" to it enough to get my vote. Seen much better from you though Raddillia.

Sandy- Again, dull beyond reason screen with graphic used in no particuarly intersting way.

Linda- Minish Cap graphic used in no new context, no intersting setup, and nothing eye-catching, make this screen dull.

Sharon- Different! The only reason I dident vote for it was the execution of the graphic. Either the top "dungeon" part of it hsould be darkened, or the ground below should be darkened. That and other seemingly random doodads (like the triforce in the corner of the screen) seem to do nothing to improve the screen.

Comon people. You can do it. Just like that train enguine whos now rusting away in some deserted trainyard where old men meet to play poker for scraps of food and metal.

#30 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:24 AM

Radien get my vote this week. Sharon comes in at a close second though.

Nice job guys. icon_thumbsup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users