Photo

Screenshot of the Week 336

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (55 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:38 PM

Jared
IPB Image
All the stories this sheep could tell...

Shane
IPB Image
Link steps outside as he begins his journey.

Sheik91
IPB Image
Zelda Densetsu 3 beach scene.

IPB Image
A bridge above the canyon

Lightwulf
IPB Image
Link finds one of Captain Mido's sailors in a cave on the beach of Seafarer Island, the first Hyrulean he's seen ever since he washed ashore on a different island.

William
IPB Image
Link makes his way out of the forest and towards his home town. It is raining, but Link trudges through. The air is cool from the crisp, chilling Autumn rain.

trudatman
IPB Image
grab a stick.

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

Shane: I voted for this screen. Lovely. It makes me think of Frodo leaving the Shire.

Avataro: This screen is beautiful because of its simplicity (which is a good thing)
it's not crowded, the area has a clear theme, and it's visually appealing. Great job!
I wish more screenshots were like this, going for clarity rather than going for detail
by throwing too many different tiles into their screen.

William: I love the GBC tileset, but there seems to be a bit too much yellow in this screen IMO.

trudatman: I like it icon_thumbsup.gif .

If I didn't address you, it doesn't mean your screen was bad.
All it means is that I couldn't think of anything to add.

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:26 AM

I nulled seeing as I'm in this weeks SotW.

Jared: The layout is cool but the shallow puddle looks a bit funky though. 7/10

Sheik91: You would have gotten my vote if I weren't in. Graphics-wise it looks beautiful but design-wise it doesn't look like a playable screen but just a dead end. 7.5/10

Avataro: The idea itself is cool but the top layer of the canyon is more cramped in comparison of the lower part swap it around (as in trees are in the bottom part (while there are still some at the top) and some rocks on the top) otherwise cool DoR screen. 7/10

Lightwulf: Nice cave screen. Can't think of much to point out but nice idea on trying to make the cave look 3D-ish. 6.5/10

William: Nice GB shot I haven't seen that type of layout for awhile now. The brush is in need of some detail so does the ground. 7/10

trudatman: Layout is nice. I can't point much on what's wrong. I love idea through. 6.5/10

Nice shots this week. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Shane, 05 September 2011 - 01:29 AM.

#4 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

great week for me to choose to submit my first shot in, what, nine years? I voted for Sheik, but if Avataro's bridge moves under the weight of players and enemies, that would likely do it for me. can't be telling that stuff in a screenshot, though, so it is my honor to join the rest in losing to Sheik's sweetness. Jared and Shane and Liam have provided high quality submissions, too. a great bunch, overall.

always grading on a curve:
Sheik - A
Jared - A
Shane - B
Liam - C
mine - C
Lightwulf - D

Edited by trudatman, 05 September 2011 - 09:56 AM.

#5 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(Shane @ Sep 5 2011, 08:26 AM) View Post
Sheik91: You would have gotten my vote if I weren't in. Graphics-wise it looks beautiful but design-wise it doesn't look like a playable screen but just a dead end. 7.5/10
This is a horrible argument icon_razz.gif How is a screen not playable just because it's a 'dead end'? For all you know, there could be a hidden dungeon entrance in that water for example, which would only rise up if certain conditions are met o.o I mean, just because it's a dead-end doesn't mean it's not playable, I have no clue what gave you that idea. Seems like criticism for the sake of giving criticism to me icon_razz.gif

Aanyway, Sheik it is. Best screen by far. The other ones, with the exception of William's show, were all pretty boring and suffer from poor design in my opinion. Avataro has a cool idea going on with the canyon and how it darkens however.

#6 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

I agree with Trudatman that Avataro should make the bridge go lower near the middle, because that would make the screen tons better for me.

It was a tough call between Sheik and Trudatman for me. I love those stickman graphics though, so I voted for Trudatman. Though Sheik's screen is really great design wise as well as great in graphics, but I thought the stickman graphics were more unique.

#7 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

warning, criticism ahead!

I think Avataro's bridge should have wavy ripples of reaction to weight -- dips, then raises, then dips, then settles again. his screen suffers from awkward walking areas, as does Shane's. avoid blocking the path in with unwalkable combos in the second row/column. it's hard to like a screen that has that problem. I like a lot of what Liam's screen features and its overall utility, but that set sucks so hard that it ruins otherwise great stuff, for me. Lightwulf: a cave? a boring and kind of blocky cave? I can't imagine it will get (m)any votes. Sheik should consider a gentler shoreline slope, at least for the deep water dropoff point. it would push the realism to new heights to have any more natural-looking underwater shorelines in an already immersing set.

thanks for the vote(s) and the critique(s) and the comment(s).

Edited by trudatman, 05 September 2011 - 09:54 AM.

#8 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

Lightwulf's screen blew my mind. Hence it gets my vote.

#9 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

Lightwulf and I had our submissions mistakenly transferred over from Screenshot Of The Wack.

#10 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

The idea is that the cliff Link is standing on is really high. And that you look at the water from a distance.
Thanks for comments, critique and votes, everybody.

#11 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

This is my opinions on this weeks show.

Jared: Very nice. Great tile rips and an all around good designed screen. The random sheep is the only problem I have. Not that it's bad, just doesn't seem like a place a sheep would just be sitting in. 8/10

Shane: I like the tiles you ripped and the Forest brush looks much better with the detail you have on it. But, there is barely any detail on this screen at all. I think there is tons of room for flowers and bushes and maybe some dirt. It's basically just green on this screen. Could use some more colors, you know? 7/10

Sheik: *eyegasms* 10/10.

Avataro: The palette is kinda boring, and not a big fan of using GB trees in DoR. But I think the design is great and has an awesome feel to it. That is why my vote goes to you, my friend. 8/10

Lightwolf: Just a simple classic cave screen. Nothing really special about it. The tiles are used cleverly, but there is just no wow factor.
7/10

William: Great GB shot as usual. I would prefer if there were some grass, but that's just me. 7.5/10

Trudatman: I'm sorry, but I just do not like this screen at all. I do not like the graphics and think it's just a bad idea to make a game using stick graphics. (It's just me) Although, it does remind me of Moonside from Earth bound so you get a 3/10 and not a 1/10 icon_razz.gif

#12 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

I voted for Sheik. Not a huge fan of any of the shots this week, but his was the most appealing.

#13 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

I voted for Sheik91. I've seen several SD3 shots, but never on a beach (mostly forest).

#14 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Sep 5 2011, 03:54 PM) View Post
his screen suffers from awkward walking areas, as does Shane's. avoid blocking the path in with unwalkable combos in the second row/column. it's hard to like a screen that has that problem.

I don't understand that criticue. Explain? icon_smile.gif

Jared, I love these tiles and the palette. The ground detail is good too. The MC trees fit the screen perfect.
Shane, that looks fresh and beautiful! The layout is good but I don't like that the forest brush ends diagonally at the right side of the screen.
Shiek, this is just perfect. Your set could look better than DoR when it's finished, but I guess it's too hard to use. I couldn't use the set if I had to make shadows behind every mountain. They make it look wonderful!
Lightfulf, your cave looks better than every other classic cave I've seen. I like the two different lights in the wall and on the floor, but otherwise it's kinda.. boring?
William, this looks great as always! I like the atmospere and the transparent water. Can snakes live underwater?
trudatman, I really dont know what to say. Are the big objects trees or houses? There is a chimney in one of the trees icon_confused.gif

I don't get many votes, but that is just because Sheik submitted his fantastic screen. Good job, I would have voted for you, too, if I weren't in.

#15 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

bees' nest. issue is you step onto the screen and there is something in your face right away. if you could see a few step ahead of you, you wouldn't enter where you can barely move, but because it is just at the edge of the screen, it can't be seen before hand but impedes your progress immediately upon entering. when enemies enter from the sides, they can get stuck on these things. kind of the only non-obvious screen design rule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users