Photo

Screenshot of the Week 268

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (43 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

Beta Link
IPB Image
To the east!

T. Platinum
IPB Image
I love being able to use overworld tiles in a dungeon icon_deformed.gif

Angeal
IPB Image
A familiar area to those who've played one of the older quests in our Database, but with an updated look. icon_biggrin.gif

Nuvo
IPB Image
Sprites are up next, I swear!

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

Sweet, first vote and post!

Well I voted for Nuvo this week, because well the other shots look kinda blank...maybe more detail would have fixed them. Not saying they aren't good screens, but could use a little more...nature in them (excluding the dungeon shot of course; well maybe some more foliage).

#3 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

I voted Angeal because of the nostalgia trip I just had. icon_clap.gif
(You're remaking Hidden Duality aren't you?) icon_snide.gif

Beta Link - Stop making me want your remake of LA even more, sir. Solid shot.

T. Platinum - A very awesome "forest temple" shot. I can't really tell but is that water running under the iron grate Link is standing on?

Angeal - Excellent shot! Kind of bland though. Nostalgia saved you on this one, good sir. That Triforce should be completely black though. icon_wink.gif

Nuvo - I wanted sprites though! Great shot. Your tileset is coming along very well.

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

Beta Link (7/10): A fine shot, nothing really sticks out about it, but it's a solid shot. Keep it up.

T. Platinum (5/10): Now the layout is fine and everything, but it really doesn't transition well. The way the dungeon floor tiles just directly go to the grass tiles is bothersome, and the colors of the grass vs. the color of the trees/bushes is very conflicting.

Angeal (6.5/10): Really, I see great potential in this shot. The mountains are used great, and the layout overall is quite nice. Two things bother me- the lack of grass detail (I highly recommend against the use of the default grass tile seeing as it only uses 2 colors and the others use more) and the lack of tree variety.

Nuvo: I'm not sure how to rate, based on the fact that my eyes are a little tired from being open underwater, and it is a 2 color shot which is making me looking at a little funny at the moment. But it's a downright good shot. You seem to have captured a pretty good feel for the proportion of objects to the 16x16 player. Oh, and that cliff that's pillar-ish on the right side of the screen is genius. A true piece of work here. This gets my vote.

#5 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(MrMister @ Aug 11 2009, 03:02 AM) View Post

Beta Link - Stop making me want your remake of LA even more, sir. Solid shot.

T. Platinum - A very awesome "forest temple" shot. I can't really tell but is that water running under the iron grate Link is standing on?

Angeal - Excellent shot! Kind of bland though. Nostalgia saved you on this one, good sir. That Triforce should be completely black though. icon_wink.gif

Nuvo - I wanted sprites though! Great shot. Your tileset is coming along very well.

I always found that huge black triforce to feel out of place... I feel Angeal did a better job here...

Angeal, the only thing that's keeping me from voting on your shot, is that you didn't use the grass tiles I advised you on icon_frown.gif Really, it would have looked a lot better. Trust me.

Anyways, I'm caught between Nuvo and T. Platinum... yeah... Nuvo of course icon_smile.gif
(Beta Links water looks like jello... fix it >:0 )

#6 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

I just had to go with Beta Link. I just LOVE that transparent water.

#7 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Aug 10 2009, 11:13 PM) View Post

(Beta Links water looks like jello... fix it >:0 )
I've tried. For some reason it always looks different in ZQuest than it does in the player. See? icon_frown.gif Plus, I'm not very good at palette-making...

Anyway, yeah, I null'd. I'm quite fond of Nuvo's shot though. Some gorgeous 2-color work. icon_clap.gif

Edited by Beta Link, 10 August 2009 - 10:35 PM.

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:40 PM

Lots of great shots. I voted for Angeal. It uses straight lines, lots of the same kind of tree, not much detail, and it still looks great! That makes it really stand out. Beta Link was a close second.

#9 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Aug 11 2009, 03:34 AM) View Post
I've tried. For some reason it always looks different in ZQuest than it does in the player. See? icon_frown.gif Plus, I'm not very good at palette-making...

Anyway, yeah, I null'd. I'm quite fond of Nuvo's shot though. Some gorgeous 2-color work. icon_clap.gif
You'd be better of with a new palette then... this is for the La remake, right? I'll see if I can make one for you... no promises though.

#10 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

Am I really the only one here that recognizes what quest Angeal's remade screenshot is from? Now to see the reaction from the author, assuming said person even posts. Actually, it tempts me to send in a remake of a screenshot from any given quest... since apparently I have trouble doing anything else ZQuest related.

Nulled. A good set of shots, each with their own attributes (I'm too tired to criticize, so I took the lazy route, but I really do mean the null).

#11 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:01 AM

Beta Link - The water's cool, but there's not a lot happening on land.
T - The contrast between grass and tree is too high. You also need floor borders.
Angeal - LOL HD! The stream is too strait and the grass is plain.
Nuvo - I've seen this shot so many times but I still dont know what that square is.

Nulled.

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE(WindStrike @ Aug 11 2009, 04:38 AM) View Post
Am I really the only one here that recognizes what quest Angeal's remade screenshot is from? Now to see the reaction from the author, assuming said person even posts. Actually, it tempts me to send in a remake of a screenshot from any given quest... since apparently I have trouble doing anything else ZQuest related.

Nulled. A good set of shots, each with their own attributes (I'm too tired to criticize, so I took the lazy route, but I really do mean the null).

(You're remaking Hidden Duality aren't you?)

And to quote myself:
I always found that huge black triforce to feel out of place... I feel Angeal did a better job here...

Did you even read the posts? XD I just wanted to point that out...

#13 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE(MrMister @ Aug 10 2009, 10:02 PM) View Post

You got me. icon_razz.gif (See comment left for Migo down below in this post)

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Aug 10 2009, 10:12 PM) View Post
Angeal (6.5/10): Really, I see great potential in this shot. The mountains are used great, and the layout overall is quite nice. Two things bother me- the lack of grass detail (I highly recommend against the use of the default grass tile seeing as it only uses 2 colors and the others use more) and the lack of tree variety.
Yeah, I am using the same trees throughout the screen, but this is only the beginning stages of the remake, later on I will add more detail to it.

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Aug 10 2009, 10:13 PM) View Post

Angeal, the only thing that's keeping me from voting on your shot, is that you didn't use the grass tiles I advised you on icon_frown.gif Really, it would have looked a lot better. Trust me.
Yeah, I thought about how to do this without the huge black triforce sitting in the middle of the screen, and I came up with that little idea. I thought of making it a goldish orange/yellow, but didn't, maybe I'll have to do that sometime, just see what it looks like. Plus, maybe you can take a shot in ZQ of the grass you are speaking of, I can't really seem to find it right off hand. icon_frown.gif

QUOTE(Russ @ Aug 10 2009, 10:40 PM) View Post
Lots of great shots. I voted for Angeal. It uses straight lines, lots of the same kind of tree, not much detail, and it still looks great! That makes it really stand out. Beta Link was a close second.
Well thank you, very kind of you to say that. I do plan on adding a least a little more detail to the screens after they are remade.

QUOTE(Theryan @ Aug 11 2009, 02:01 AM) View Post
Angeal - LOL HD! The stream is too strait and the grass is plain.
Yeah, I need to do a bit of work on the stream sometime. Quite hard with the water/mountain tiles that are available in the set currently. Kind of amzing that's so limited in DoR. icon_blink.gif

Thanks guys, this is actually a project that I am highly interested in completing, since the original is still among my favorite of all time. It'll be fun, and your comments help me out a ton. So, thanks a ton. icon_biggrin.gif

#14 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE(Angeal @ Aug 11 2009, 07:51 AM) View Post
You got me. icon_razz.gif (See comment left for Migo down below in this post)

Yeah, I am using the same trees throughout the screen, but this is only the beginning stages of the remake, later on I will add more detail to it.

Yeah, I thought about how to do this without the huge black triforce sitting in the middle of the screen, and I came up with that little idea. I thought of making it a goldish orange/yellow, but didn't, maybe I'll have to do that sometime, just see what it looks like. Plus, maybe you can take a shot in ZQ of the grass you are speaking of, I can't really seem to find it right off hand. icon_frown.gif

Well thank you, very kind of you to say that. I do plan on adding a least a little more detail to the screens after they are remade.

Yeah, I need to do a bit of work on the stream sometime. Quite hard with the water/mountain tiles that are available in the set currently. Kind of amzing that's so limited in DoR. icon_blink.gif

Thanks guys, this is actually a project that I am highly interested in completing, since the original is still among my favorite of all time. It'll be fun, and your comments help me out a ton. So, thanks a ton. icon_biggrin.gif

IPB Image There. The upper grass tile is the "basic" one... you're free to use it, but I personally don't. Ever. XD

The ones in the yellow ring is the "real" grass tiles. They add a lot more depth and detail to your screens icon_wink.gif

#15 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:14 AM

I voted for Beta Link. It looks great, keep up the good work with that LA remake! icon_thumbsup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users