New PC.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

I am needing to get a replacement PC soon as my laptop doesn't have much time left and I have been deciding to build one this time. I have all of the parts picked (thanks to PC Gamer Magazine and Bethesda Forums), but I don't know if they will all work together or even fit into the case I was recommended.

Can someone have a look at the list and tell me if they'll work before I order anything?

List: http://uk.pcpartpick...kipz/saved/2xZ5

Thanks!

#2 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Nothing jumps out at me as being incompatible. I think you're good to go!

I will say this though, the video card you've chosen appears to be one that is factory overclocked and such video cards can be problematic with various Nvidia display drivers as the drivers are optimized for cards operating within the specs Nvidia defined and not what hardware manufacturers think is good. I'd suggest switching to this video card if you want to minimize the risk of incurring a problem (Problems such as: Prone to overheating or general instability that can cause TDR's): http://uk.pcpartpick...card-zt7040110p

Alternatively buy the more expensive card then underclock it yourself back to Nvidia reference specs. You'll essentially be paying more for a more advanced heatsink/fan.

Edit: I also wouldn't expect much difference between the cards performance wise, either. Maybe +/- 2-4 frames in most games if that.

Edited by franpa, 19 October 2013 - 01:12 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#3 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

Ok, I've replaced the video card. I suppose not having the PC melt is much more preferable to a few more FPS :)

Thanks!

This is what it looks like now:

http://uk.pcpartpick...kipz/saved/2CEb

Anything else?

#4 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Yeah that list looks great.

Is there any particular reason you chose to use water cooling for the CPU? There are some amazing air based CPU coolers available such as the Noctua NH D14s and the Noctua NH D14. I have the Noctua NH D14 cooler and it's reasonably silent. I've always had CPU cooler fans running at full speed and never used the temperature sensor doohickey or Q-Fan (Or whatever) option in the BIOS. The video card/PSU will be what you mostly hear when gaming.

Just to note: The Noctua NH D14 cooler was a reasonably recent purchase by me, until a few months ago I've always (Ever since getting in to building my own computers about 11 years ago) used the stock CPU cooler that came with the CPU and never a 3rd party cooler. The Noctua NH D14 exceeded all my expectations and is also extremely easy to install unlike the current stock CPU coolers that Intel use (Noctua NH D14 has NO bloody push pins!).

Perhaps I've simply acclimated to the quiet hum of the CPU fan over time causing me to never notice it?

Edited by franpa, 21 October 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#5 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

I didn't notice that the cooler was a water one >_<

The build was originally from PC Gamer and was supposed to be a good PC for under £1000. As I knew nothing about PC parts (this will be my 1st ever custom built PC), I had to take their word on the parts. I did get a bit of advice from the Bethesda Game Studios on some of the parts, but the cooler must have slipped through.

I'll have a look at the two fans listed. Which one of the two would you recommend?

Thanks!

#6 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'm pretty clueless about 3rd party coolers to be honest. I checked a bunch of review websites and most report that the Noctua NH D14 is one of the best air coolers available in terms of noise and cooling capabilities. After checking out Motherboard compatibility on the Noctua website, I went and bought one. Installation was rather easy and I haven't had any issues with it since installing it either. It also includes very good instructions with pictures (you can view them on their website too, if you want).

Note: The Fan that can potentially block the RAM slots can be either completely removed (Is not required for proper operation) or shifted further away from the motherboard to allow for tall RAM sticks. I'd also consider installing any RAM prior to installing the CPU fan/heatsink.

I only mentioned the alternative Noctua NH D14s because some computer layouts might need one? I dunno lol but it was also fairly well rated in reviews that mentioned it.

Edit: It does look like your selected motherboard is compatible.

Also a piece of advice: I'd install the PSU in to the computer case first and connect it to a power point but leave the power point switched off (Unsure if the power switch on the PSU it self should be on or off though, I leave it on). This will "ground" the metal frame in the computer tower. You can now either maintain contact with the metal frame while dealing with video cards, Sound Cards, CPU, Motherboard etc. or you can use a special wrist strap with a cord dangling from it (with a clip on the end) that you attach to the computers metal frame allowing you to move both of your arms freely without needing to maintain direct contact with the metal case. You can get the wrist strap from various computer stores for around $10 or less. Either method will prevent a build up of static electricity.

Edited by franpa, 22 October 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#7 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Ok. I have replaced the cooler on the list with the one you recommended. I had a look on the compatibility website and it says the motherboard is compatible.

Anything else?

Also, where do you get that strap from? There are no PC stores near where I live, so I'll have to get it online.

Thanks for the help!

#8 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

Anything else?

Naw, you should be fine and I wish you good luck with your new PC!

Also, where do you get that strap from? There are no PC stores near where I live, so I'll have to get it online.

I'm not exactly sure, the ones we have are rather old (multiple years) and I think came from my dads work place. The straps are simply anti-static wrist straps, so you could google that? I'm only familiar with Australian shops, I assumed the straps would be rather common as static electricity is indeed something to be aware of when handling computer hardware. Try small/niche computer stores.

Thanks for the help!

No problem!

Edited by franpa, 23 October 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#9 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

I am going to be ordering the parts soon, but I have just remembered one thing that I want to ask.

Would I need to get anything extra in order to connect wirelessly to my wireless router?

Thanks again.

#10 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

I believe you will need a WiFi add-in card or possibly a USB dongle.

Although I'm not terribly familiar with the hardware required to make WiFi work as all our computers are wired except for laptops which already include the necessary components for WiFi, I do know that you will need something to make WiFi work.

Edited by franpa, 28 October 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#11 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Ok. I have ordered all of the parts apart from one: the Power Supply. The one I was intending to use can't be shipped over to UK anymore. Does anyone have any alternative power supplies that could be used?

Power Supply I was going to use:

http://uk.pcpartpick...pply-eta650awtm

There is one on the website I am using that could work, but I don't know enough to be able to tell:

http://uk.pcpartpick...er-supply-ax760

EDIT:

I found something that would be cheaper and performs roughly the same. Would it be ok for the PC build though?

http://uk.pcpartpick...ply-120pg0750gr

Edited by Mudkipz, 01 November 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#12 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

Both PSU's should be fine, the latter is slightly a bit overkill. Choose whichever one you find to be functionally more appropriate to you. For example: Do the power supplies feature all the power connectors you expect to use now and in the future?

I'm not 100% certain on this but I believe power supplies with multiple rails (Like the EVGA one) would be most appropriate if you intend to run multiple video cards. In terms of power output both PSU's will be fine for a single high end video card. the EVGA offers slightly more power (80Amps combined vs 60Amps on the +12v rails) and I believe will be fine for 2 video cards.

Last time I checked, video cards consume around 30 to 50 Amps depending on the video card tier (Is it a high end card?) and whether or not it is overclocked.

Edited by franpa, 02 November 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#13 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

According to the parts list, the whole thing will need around 363W, which both replacements will have more than enough power for. Both power supplies' info looks very similar, so I might go for the EVGA supply as it is cheaper and it looks roughly the same as the other supply.

I haven't got a second video card for the build so hopefully that wont cause an issue for now. Would the railing shown in the picture get in the way though?

Also had to swap the case for a bigger one as I was not sure if the extra parts would fit in to the previous one.

#14 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

The metal carry handle? No, it shouldn't. The rails I was talking about are more to do with the electrical circuitry within the Power Supply. Amperage's are important when it comes to power supplies and video cards, specifically the amperage on the +12v rails. In this case they both provide similar amperage on the +12v rails and they're both made by major/popular companies so there isn't much to say really, just choose whichever you like.

Edited by franpa, 02 November 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#15 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

All of the parts have arrived (apart from the band to lessen static. Will have to go without as the best time to complete this PC is tomorrow (only time until a few weeks later that both me and my Dad (who will be assisting me) are able to work on it) and the band could take between tuesday and early december to get here, and my laptop is really starting to collect problems (definately slowing down over the last few days and now the headphone port doesn't work)), so I'll likely be working on building it tommorow. Hopefully, this will be sucessful.

EDIT: Before I try to build it, should I wait a few weeks and hope the band arrives or is it safe to build it as long as I keep contact with the case metal?

Edited by Mudkipz, 09 November 2013 - 09:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users