Why do some people hate Windows Vista?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

I've been hearing many negative comments about Windows Vista. They say that XP is better. Why do so many people hate Vista?

#2 KDillon

KDillon

Senior

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

i have vista and i like it a lot better then XP
but yes i have heard a lot of bad things about vista and alot of people say they dont like it i dont see why...

#3 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

they hate it for the same reasons they hate ME. it only works on limited hardware and crashes on anything else. the problem mostly lies in the drivers which 3rd party companies are responsible for.

#4 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

I like this article: http://dotnet.org.za...windows-xp.aspx

I've managed to avoid Vista for the most part, but I have to use it at work once in a while. Based on that, I have only three complaints about it.
1: It's ****ing slow.
2: Microsoft's idea of security seems to be to make it a pain in the ass to do anything. Multiple confirmation dialogs to delete a file? That's not secure. That's just obnoxious.
3: The arbitrary interface changes. Microsoft's attitude regarding interface design has always been "if it's not broken, fix it anyway." Stuff's been changed and moved around from XP, and there's simply no good reason for it.

#5 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

I have strong feelings of anger towards vista, because there are too many problems with it right now, they focused too much on the looks. my brother got a vista computer from walmart, but i guess its "walmart, get what you paid for" but it died every time we played certain games. until it gets most of those bugs fixed, i will not like to use it.

#6 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

The reason Why I don't like vista is because, a lot of the Game I like are incompatible with it, and from what I heard vista violates your privacy

(By monitoring and reporting any activities it considers illegal, Like downloading stuff with out paying or what not, all though those are illegal they should not be reported by the Os! )

#7 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

1. It is slow. It has the system requirements of a very high-end game. You need a dual-core processor and at least 2GB of RAM to be able to do anything but browse and check e-mail with it.
2. If you want any security at all, you have to leave the annoying messages about blocking or allowing things on.
3. It steals lots of things from other companies (such as widgets, Instant Search, Flip 3D, etc.)
4. There are FOUR (consumer) VERSIONS of it. All of them are slow and have either too few features or many that you'll never use.
5. Almost everything has been moved around from XP.
6. It doesn't support EFI (yet.)
7. It doesn't support FireWire 800. Nor does its FireWire 400 support work anywhere near full speed.
8. Despite all the added security measures, it's still full of holes.
9. It will report back to MS about some illegal activities - and will report back on more things once Service Pack 1 is out.
10. The kernel and graphics and memory managers are so different that they render a lot of software incompatible. Said software ran fine on XP.
11. It uses CPU power to check if the CPU is idle. It can sit there, not doing anything, and use 18% of an AMD64x2. When indexing for Instant Search it can use all of your CPU power whether you like it or not.
12. It dumbs down "premium" content such as DVD video, and digital audio, integrating DRM into the whole system, as an "antipiracy measure
that is not even required.
13. It has a kill switch. Despite claims to the contrary, if MS thinks your copy of Vista is illegal they can take control and shut it down.

I have many, many more reasons why I hate Vista, but I have to go eat supper.

#8 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:29 PM

Because,
  1. They're ignorant.
  2. They only know what they've read or heard and have never actually used Vista.
  3. They're not smart enough to read the required system specs.
  4. It because it isn't exactly like XP. (which is ****ing rhetorical)
I love Vista, personally, and would cut off a finger before I'd go back to slow, crappy, freeze-happy XP.
I hate Vista's graphics though. Very ugly and cheap looking.

QUOTE(Saffith @ Feb 10 2008, 07:26 PM) View Post
2: Microsoft's idea of security seems to be to make it a pain in the ass to do anything. Multiple confirmation dialogs to delete a file? That's not secure. That's just obnoxious.
3: The arbitrary interface changes. Microsoft's attitude regarding interface design has always been "if it's not broken, fix it anyway." Stuff's been changed and moved around from XP, and there's simply no good reason for it.
  1. 2. Dialogue boxes don't pop up to delete a file, and if they did you wouldn't get multiple ones. They pop up when installing something or messing with system files. OS X and Linux have the same annoying security-feature. If you don't like it, turn it off. Not too difficult.
  2. 3. Why should they keep the UI exactly the same? Only an idiot would switch to another OS if they wanted the exact same thing as before. Also, if Vista is too hard for you to adjust to from XP...well, LOL SIR.
1. It is slow. It has the system requirements of a very high-end game. You need a dual-core processor and at least 2GB of RAM to be able to do anything but browse and check e-mail with it.
2. If you want any security at all, you have to leave the annoying messages about blocking or allowing things on.
3. It steals lots of things from other companies (such as widgets, Instant Search, Flip 3D, etc.)
4. There are FOUR VERSIONS of it. All of them are slow and have either too few features or many that you'll never use.
5. Almost everything has been moved around from XP.
6. It doesn't support EFI (yet.)
7. It doesn't support FireWire 800. Nor does its FireWire 400 support work anywhere near full speed.
8. Despite all the added security measures, it's still full of holes.
9. It will report back to MS about some illegal activities - and will report back on more things once Service Pack 1 is out.
10. The kernel and graphics and memory managers are so different that they render a lot of software incompatible. Said software ran fine on XP.
11. It uses CPU power to check if the CPU is idle. It can sit there, not doing anything, and use 18% of an AMD64x2. When indexing for Instant Search it can use all of your CPU power whether you like it or not.
12. It dumbs down "premium" content such as DVD video, and digital audio, integrating DRM into the whole system, as an "antipiracy measure
that is not even required.
13. It has a kill switch. Despite claims to the contrary, if MS thinks your copy of Vista is illegal they can take control and shut it down.
  1. I'm fairly certain it will run just fine on computers without 2+ GB of RAM. Mine has 1.8 and Vista runs perfectly on it.
  2. Bull. That's for alternative security. I use AVG and other freeware for my security, and keep Defender turned off.
  3. You mean like how Apple stole from Konfabulator, Microsoft, Mozilla, etc?
  4. Are you aware of Home Premium?
  5. LOL. The UI is almost exactly like XP's. If an improved Start Menu and Explorer makes you unable to adapt something's wrong.
  6. Not sure about that.
  7. Or that.
  8. All OS's are.
  9. It does? Last time I checked it only sends back info if Vista itself is an illegal copy, which is completely understandable.
  10. Said software runs fine on Vista too. Like I told QuestWizard, give me some software that "won't run" on Vista and I'll show you differently.
  11. No comment. P:
  12. No, Microsoft does that, not Vista. Last time I checked MS wasn't an OS.
  13. Apple will do the same thing if you're running OS X on a non-Apple computer. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Mr. Pimpy, 11 February 2008 - 02:29 PM.

#9 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

# Said software runs fine on Vista too. Like I told QuestWizard, give me some software that "won't run" on Vista and I'll show you differently.
Gothic two. This is the computer I have>>>>Hp pavilion Elite m9080n It had Vista Ultimate on it and would not let me install it!

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:56 PM

I have Vista, and I have to say I love it. The 3D effects, the widgits, everything about it is just awesome.

#11 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:50 PM

Windows Vista isn't meant for laptop computers. 'Nuff said.

#12 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(ennonfenom @ Feb 11 2008, 04:49 PM) View Post
Gothic two. This is the computer I have>>>>Hp pavilion Elite m9080n It had Vista Ultimate on it and would not let me install it!

I didn't say anything about running Vista on incompatible computers, I said show me some XP-based software that won't run in Vista. icon_wink.gif

My computer is a laptop and Vista runs fine. 'Nuff said.

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(Master_of_Power @ Feb 11 2008, 12:50 PM) View Post

That's strange, as the laptop I am posting from has Windows Vista on it. It seems to work fine.

#14 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

What I want to do with my laptop would have been hindered even further by the crippling memory hogging capabilities of Windows Vista. Even as a Linux person, I'd of used Win XP for a laptop.

#15 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

I think Noir's post described all of the good reasons plus a ton I hadn't thought of.

Oh, and it won't run 2.10. icon_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users