Photo

Screenshot of the Week 450

DragonDePlatino Demonlink Astromeow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 450 (54 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

I had wondered about that myself. I assume those pits/caves won't be just perfect black squares in the final version or aren't anymore?

#17 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

I had wondered about that myself. I assume those pits/caves won't be just perfect black squares in the final version or aren't anymore?

Hmm...I've completed at least a dozen more tile pages for Koten, so I assume at this point you could get creative with overlaying pit tiles to make gradients! But we'll have to see. I have an idea or two for a good dungeon mockup, so that might be a good example. :D

#18 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

Wow, all of the screenshots are really great this week! Ultimately, however, I choose Demonlink's shot because it looks great and has a nice mood.

#19 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

Wait, you mean people couldn't tell that was a waterfall going down a pit?  It honestly looked fine to me!

Voted for Dragon.

#20 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

To me it looks like the small river should be more to the left and connect to the waterfall... but I guess I didn't understand that there was actually supposed to be some kind of pit in between...

#21 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

@Demonlink: Sweet lookin' screen, man! :)  I love it!  The only reason I didn't vote for it is a lack of action: no Link or enemies or anything.

@Astromeow: Pretty cool! :)  Looks great!

... There's just something about the palette that strikes me as odd.

Also, I think the music block-thing would look more natural if the grass hung over it more.  I had to squint and look up close to notice that the grass hung over it at all.  A couple pixels of hangover aren't very noticeable against a 1-pixel dark border and gray background.  I think it should be more like how the grass hangs over the pathways.  Maybe you could also add a pattern (of grays, of course) to the face of the block.

@DDP: My vote went here. :)  Awesome new tileset!  There are a couple things that don't look right to me, though.

The palettes for the enemies and Link could use a darker tone for their darkest color; in a screenshot, they really blend in to the surrounding color rather than standing out as individuals.  Partly because the background objects (Armos, big tree) have black but Link and the enemies don't have a color that dark (though Link's blue is close).  The aforementioned background objects stand out a lot more.  Not sure if this is fixable, considering your all-custom palettes.

The other thing is the waterfall.  At first, I didn't see that the second (from the top) waterfall combo was darker.  It might help to use a darker third waterfall combo underneath that; either that, or just use a plain black pit combo under the second one.  Reason is that there needs to be some separation between the waterfall and the southern shore; with how it currently is, it looks like the waterfall is on a cliff face that meets the combo below it (but just in that column on the screen).  I hope this makes sense.

• DragonDePlatino likes this

#22 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

@DDP: My vote went here. :)  Awesome new tileset!

Thanks for your feedback! And yeah, that waterfall has been giving me nothing but trouble. After seeing people's feedback and finishing my sideview tiles, I went ahead and just stuck a sunset horizon between the two cliffs. It looks waaay cleaner. As for the sprite palettes, I'm only able to use 3 colors + transparency for each sprite in keeping with SNES limitations. I could change the outline colors to black but then they'd look a lot more lifeless and would would blend with black tiles. But to make everyone happy, I'll try my best to include Csets with black outlines.

#23 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:21 PM

I can't believe that you didn't vote for me.  I'm hurt, truly.

#24 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Geoffrey
Geoffrey.png
It's amazing what a little spring cleaning and some shrubberies can do for your lawn!

May I suggest:

dC6IQBf.png

• Haylee, Jared, Lightwulf and 2 others like this

#25 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Honestly I don't like any of the screenshots this week. The palettes are ugly. Demonlink's is too dark, astromeow's looks wet with clashing elements (some things are clearly outlined, some things are softly outlined), Dragon's is good except the water seems too dark compared to everything else. Voted for Dragon based on design.
  • Jared likes this

#26 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

May I suggest:

Yeah, that's definitely an improvement. If it weren't for the monochromatic green in Geoffrey's shot, it really would've gotten my vote. Remember your hue-shifting, people!

#27 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Yeah, that's definitely an improvement. If it weren't for the monochromatic green in Geoffrey's shot, it really would've gotten my vote. Remember your hue-shifting, people!

Tbh, I think the collection of tiles in that tileset is kind of a mess. I'm not a fan and I don't undestand what's different about this tileset as opposed to the DoR tileset.

#28 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

May I suggest:

Astromeow, I think that we have a new palette.  Thanks, Sheik!

#29 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

May I suggest:

1 Problem: Dat Moblin of Moblinness

#30 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

With 47.92% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 450 is DragonDePlatino!

DragonDePlatino.png

Congratulations!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DragonDePlatino, Demonlink, Astromeow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users