I don't understand. Why is this fun?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#16 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

Personally, I am anti-alcohol like some people here. I just don't see the "fun" drinking alcohol does to you. I don't want to be involved in the the dangers it causes healthwise. I asked people why drinking promotes "fun", and they all responded "it just does." I also don't believe in social drinking. I always believe teens drinking because everyone else is drinking is a result of peer pressure. That's one major characteristic of being a teen. They all want to fit in and become part of a certain group. Some think they have matured enough to start drinking.

Edited by Dawnlight, 17 October 2011 - 11:51 AM.

#17 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Oct 17 2011, 06:51 PM) View Post

I asked people why drinking promotes "fun", and they all responded "it just does."

Easy. Alcohol is one of the "downers", meaning it makes the metabolism work slower. Fear and depressive thoughts and emotions get rarely noticed anymore (also, you move slower).
And basically, more dopmamine will hit the respective receptors which will make your brain pour out the happy hormones.

Edit: Social drinking actually is in fact one of the oldest traditions of humankind.

Edited by Sheik91, 17 October 2011 - 12:27 PM.

#18 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

I only drink when it's fun to drink. For me that is at small parties of 5-20 people. I have had a bottle of vodka in the fridge for the last two months, but I haven't touched it because it just wouldn't be fun without the right circumstances. Why is it fun? It makes you act stupid. Why can't we just act stupid without alcohol? We can, but with alcohol it is on a whole other level of stupid which, at least, I can not replicate.

That being said, I don't enjoy weed. I have tried it multiple times, all it did was made me really lazy and okay with being lazy. Very unproductive.

Edited by Ornlu, 17 October 2011 - 12:24 PM.

#19 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Oct 17 2011, 12:20 PM) View Post

Edit: Social drinking actually is in fact one of the oldest traditions of humankind.

Even so, I still don't believe in it. It's personal. I felt disgusted one time when my cousin told me that I was "brainwashed" because I don't drink. For me, there are other ways to have "fun" without alcohol.

#20 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Oct 17 2011, 08:38 PM) View Post

For me, there are other ways to have "fun" without alcohol.

I agree wholeheartly. When you are at a point where you cannot enjoy life without drugs anymore, you've definately failed somewhere by my book. But at the same time, drugs are a perfectly fine way of enjoying life. And in the case of social drinking I think it's a perfectly valid way of taking social interactivity to another level, whatever that level might be percieved as.

With drugs I mean alcolhol, cigs, and the illegal stuff.

#21 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Oct 17 2011, 02:37 PM) View Post

I agree wholeheartly. When you are at a point where you cannot enjoy life without drugs anymore, you've definately failed somewhere by my book. But at the same time, drugs are a perfectly fine way of enjoying life. And in the case of social drinking I think it's a perfectly valid way of taking social interactivity to another level, whatever that level might be percieved as.

With drugs I mean alcolhol, cigs, and the illegal stuff.

While I don't drink alcohol, I do enjoy my caffeine. Caffeine is technically a drug.

#22 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Oct 17 2011, 01:38 PM) View Post

Even so, I still don't believe in it. It's personal. I felt disgusted one time when my cousin told me that I was "brainwashed" because I don't drink. For me, there are other ways to have "fun" without alcohol.

Dude, I'm the same exact way. I've never drank alcohol, never smoked, and never done drugs. I always tell people that I see other ways to have fun at a party other than messing with my health and mental well being. icon_razz.gif To me, drinking isn't fun, smoking isn't fun, doing drugs isn't fun. It's just a waste of my time and is not worth the risks.

#23 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

and that's how most drugs should be for most people, but the others that find value in some of them have the right -- as long as they are not hurting others -- to consume these things that do less damage than most of the "food" we take in. there are certain drugs that the USA government agencies (and many others) unjustly view as criminal, here, in the capital of pharmies. pills!* drinks!* foods!* ointments!* inhalers!* injections!*

*except for those on this short list....

Edited by trudatman, 17 October 2011 - 08:44 PM.

#24 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Oct 17 2011, 03:54 PM) View Post

While I don't drink alcohol, I do enjoy my caffeine. Caffeine is technically a drug.

Aw s***, I'm a drug addict. :P

[/hr]

Since I'm an antisocial freak, I rarely attend parties nowadays. I just don't like them, honestly, even before I started avoiding high interaction with people face to face. I just shuffled awkwardly in the corner drinking soda for the whole thing.

Drugs, man, iunno. I'm under-age, so I can't give an honest opinion.
For alcohol, I've actually drank some alcoholic drinks before, and thought they tasted so bad. :X

[/hr]

It all depends on the person, I guess?

#25 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Oct 16 2011, 10:24 PM) View Post
To me, I'm worried about what kind of person it'll make me if I'm completely wasted, and I hate the idea that I wouldn't be in complete control of myself. What if I do something beyond stupid, get killed- or worse, get someone else killed?
You've been fed too much propaganda. Getting drunk doesn't change who you are, and you're not likely to get in any serious danger unless you're a complete idiot. Even when you're so drunk you can barely walk it's not like you're so messed up you don't think "s*** I'm drunk, I should stay well clear of the road".

If you're worried about safety then drink in a safe environment. Rather than drinking out in town where you might get run over or bashed or something, drink at home with some friends. It's not like getting drunk will make you think blending knives is a good idea - if you know that's a bad idea when you're sober you'll still know it when you're drunk. Just have some drinks, play some games, laugh your ass off, annoy the neighbours, then pass out on the couch... and regret it in the morning icon_razz.gif All part of the fun though.

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Oct 17 2011, 10:51 AM) View Post
I just don't see the "fun" drinking alcohol does to you.
I explained it earlier, and Sheik gave a more technical reason. You might not have the urge to experience it for yourself, but that doesn't mean others feel the same way. It would be pretty arrogant/ignorant to suggest that because you don't see the fun, no fun exists (I'm not accusing you of making that argument, I'm just saying).

QUOTE(Sepulcher @ Oct 17 2011, 03:02 PM) View Post
Dude, I'm the same exact way. I've never drank alcohol, never smoked, and never done drugs. I always tell people that I see other ways to have fun at a party other than messing with my health and mental well being. icon_razz.gif To me, drinking isn't fun, smoking isn't fun, doing drugs isn't fun. It's just a waste of my time and is not worth the risks.
Umm... how could you possibly know whether or not those things are fun if you've never done them? icon_shrug.gif It's fair enough to say you're not interested in those things, but you can't say whether or not you like it if you've never tried.

Edited by NoeL, 17 October 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#26 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

NoeL, you're basically saying that its a necessity to drink whether or not to judge whether alcohol is okay. I don't need to drink to experience it. After witnessing several alcohol-related incidents and the fact that I despise people who act crazy and do stupid things under the influence of alcohol, it's clear that this is something I should stay away or not be a victim of. I don't care how long social drinking dates back from. I do not f up my body because of this.

#27 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(Sepulcher @ Oct 17 2011, 03:02 PM) View Post

You really should try this stuff before you make any judgments. Like, yeah, there can be bad things done to your health if you over-do the stuffs, but you're body can tolerate a lot of abuse. It can definitely survive a test run for experiments sake.

The big thing is just don't go into it being stupid. I know it makes you more stupid, and perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones, but I've never had a problem with making relatively good decisions while intoxicated. Drink lots of water while drinking booze, don't shotgun five beers in two minutes, do things that you find fun when your not drunk, always drink in a friendly, warm environment, and never because you're depressed, or with depressed people.

I will say though, pot heads are really boring in my experience. Like, I can get spending a afternoon getting high and relaxing, but I haven't the foggiest idea why people do it at parties or larger get together. They always run off to some secluded room like a really bad secret club and spend the rest of the night up there while everyone else shrugs and keeps dancing/laughing/parading the mood. Sorry pot heads icon_frown.gif

#28 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:47 PM

Drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, don't knock 'em till you try 'em! Honestly, they're not as bad as a lot of people make them out to be.

Edited by William, 17 October 2011 - 10:48 PM.

#29 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

I'm with many others here on that that stuff just isn't for me. I actually tried alcohol, and it stinks. Never again. And I can't stand the smell of smoke, that stinks on the literal sense, and has OVER 4000 chemicals in the damn smoke alone! If you want to smoke, fine, but don't do it right in front of the door where people enter/exit. That pisses me off! It's like you're forcing us to breathe in your suicide attempt. And I can't stand drunk people. Acting like idiots for the sake of doing so, while drugged out doesn't sound like a fun plan. That sounds like a one-way ticket into trouble, most likely having a life-long penalty. And people do it all for the sake of the buzz or fun? Tsk, tsk, tsk, there's way more fun things out there to do with your time, that doesn't involve any of the above icon_razz.gif.

#30 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:57 AM

You know, I don't get how people don't like the idea of "acting like idiots for the sake of it" and whatever wordings there were. It's not like it's hurting anyone, it's just fun without much of a reason (though still with some kind of cause). I like fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users