"It's popular, but not with me"

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

I had considered posting this under Message Board Games, but then I figured that it wasn't really "interactive"
in that way. Also, this thread has the potential for intelligent discussion.

Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to discuss things that are "oh-so-popular", but they never really
managed to attract your attention, or you just flat-out disliked them. Tell us what it is, and why you disliked it.
Try to be brief when you can, and avoid making negative comments about people who like things that you don't.

If you are interested in someone's post you may comment, but don't start an argument. This isn't a thread
to persuade or badger people into liking or disliking things. Simply agree to disagree.

Forum rules may not force you to always be polite or supportive, but please be respectful of other people's
opinions in this thread, or post in another topic. Remember, no one's forcing you to post in this thread.

Keep your temper. If you don't want to hear that someone dislikes your favorite things, then just leave now.
There will be no hard feelings icon_smile.gif .

Let's make this thread mature and interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start:

Mayonnaise: Sure I'll eat in a tuna sandwich or a potato salad. In those dishes the mayo absorbs
the flavors of the things I like and simply makes it moist or creamy. However, I really dislike the taste
of mayo itself, and if I am making a simple sandwich I won't use it. However, I really enjoy two of the
mayonnaise substitutes that I have tried: herbal vegenaise, and mayo made from the safflower plant.

Popular Music: You can name pretty much any band/singer that goes platinum and I don't
like them. Beatles? Nope. Britney Spears? Nope. Nirvana? Nope. Maria Carey? Nope. The list goes
on and on. What I do like however is independent music. I know of some small labels and local
bands that have a really great sound. And once in a long while I will enjoy something like
'Paint it Black' or 'Highway to Hell'. But Bjork is just annoying, and I hate, hate, HATE Sting.
His singing makes me nauseous, really.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The first film was actually enjoyable more or less, even though
I found it a bit simplistic and couldn't get "into it". The second movie however, had a plot I could
care less about, and the pace seemed to bog down and drag out. The third movie was the worst
in my opinion (I haven't seen the fourth, and likely won't), nothing interesting happened, and
if I thought the second one was slow, this one seemed to drag on for nine hours!

Beyond the pacing of the film, the story felt VERY wooden. None of the dialogue or
character decisions felt spontaneous, it never even felt like they had a choice. It seemed
like everyone was fated to their outcome, and absolutely nothing could change it, and the
script could not be adjusted one single iota from the final draft of the screenplay.

Another thing I just don't get is why Cap't Jack Sparrow is such a popular character.
Sure his indifferent attitude towards authority and crew is amusing since he is actually quite
clever underneath all his fumbling, but those bright moments are far and few between. Most
of the time, he just stumbles around like a drunk, which isn't appealing and doesn't take any
acting talent whatsoever.

But hey, just 'cause I don't like it doesn't mean you can't. Whatever floats your boat, y'know?

#2 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

I know given my current interests, I'm really in no position to talk about obsessing over fads, but honestly, I severely dislike the craze for Justin Bieber. I think he's got an interesting personality, and I can appreciate that he's willing to make fun of himself a bit, but honestly his voice isn't that great, and I don't get why people like his songs.

#3 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

Well, Twilight and Call of Duty immediately come to mind. Fairly self-explanatory there, I think. I've also never been interested in current music. I do hear a decent song here and there, but nothing I've really wanted to listen to more than once.

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

Anime. Never got it. Never will.

Japanese RPG's. Much because they're often very anime-inspired, but also because I simply do not like the type of game you find in em. I'm more of a 'this button fires gun' or 'X makes character punch' and so on icon_razz.gif Pokemon is really the only turn-based RPG I've ever gotten into.

Watching cartoons when you're no longer a little kid. No, seriously. A lot of people do it, I just don't get anything out of it, unless it's somehow really good, like... I don't know, I don't think there is any icon_shrug.gif

Being a fanboy. Yes, I think it's a fad. It's a stupid fad, and only liking one system, one publisher or whatever is just stupid, because you're missing out on a lot of other perfectly awesome games.

The iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone is an awesome piece of tech... I just can not for the life of me imagine having it as a phone. I love my iPod Touch however.

I'll probably have more in the future; but right now that future only holds bed. Goodnight.

#5 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(Robin @ Sep 1 2011, 08:00 PM) View Post
Watching cartoons when you're no longer a little kid. No, seriously. A lot of people do it, I just don't get anything out of it, unless it's somehow really good, like... I don't know, I don't think there is any icon_shrug.gif
Cartoons aren't just for kids. :/ Just sayin'. You're never too old to appreciate good animation. I know you're entitled to your opinion, but I feel I should just say now that the well-made cartoons are the ones that also have subtle humor that appeals to adults (a good example being the really early episodes of Spongebob).

Edited by PowerGauntlets, 01 September 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Anime: With very few exceptions (one being incredibly obvious), I haven't really like any anime I've seen. Aside from the animation, it just doesn't click with me. Death Note was interesting if not boring from time to time, and I could stand it, and enjoyed parts of it. Gurren Lagann, do I even have to begin explaining?

First Person Shooters like CoD: They're all the same. Like literally, they're all almost exactly the same. And they all lose my attention after about five minutes.

RPGs: EarthBound I like. Pokemon I like. All the rest just bore me.

My Little Pony: *takes shelter inside an impenetrable room* Yeah, I know I'm gonna get some hate for this, but I honestly don't see what the big deal with the ponies is. Saw a few episodes, and it seems like any other little girl's show, which is to say I'd only watch it if I were babysitting a little girl who was watching it or something.

Edit: And I agree with PB, there are some really good cartoons out there. Animation ain't just for kids. Some of the time at least.

Edited by Russ, 01 September 2011 - 08:12 PM.

#7 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

Oooh, here's a good one.

Hate: I don't get it. There's no reason to hate except for either moral reasons or lack of understanding. Kim Jong Il is a reasonable thing to hate; he's an evil dictator. Fanboyism is not a reasonable thing to hate; they're not hurting you.

QUOTE(Russ @ Sep 1 2011, 08:11 PM) View Post
Edit: And I agree with PB, there are some really good cartoons out there. Animation ain't just for kids. Some of the time at least.
This almost saved your post, but I feel I must nitpick at the detail about MLP being for girls. Lauren Faust has a serious beef with the animation industry because of the status quo that for some reason says boys aren't allowed to like shows for girls. She says that this mentality is the reason there haven't been really any good shows for girls EVER.

Edited by PowerGauntlets, 01 September 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#8 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ Sep 2 2011, 03:07 AM) View Post
Cartoons aren't just for kids. :/ Just sayin'. You're never too old to appreciate good animation. I know you're entitled to your opinion, but I feel I should just say now that the well-made cartoons are the ones that also have subtle humor that appeals to adults (a good example being the really early episodes of Spongebob).
I disagree. Can't we just leave it at that? icon_shrug.gif

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Nyan: Never liked it. Never will. It's obsession is really uncalled for in my opinion.
Fanboys: Liking one company is fine. But playing just one company is practically stupid.
Shooting Games: I find shedding blood and guts really hard to understand why it's entertainment.
Hate: Haters are gonna hate but why do hate?

#10 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE(Robin @ Sep 1 2011, 08:24 PM) View Post
I disagree. Can't we just leave it at that? icon_shrug.gif
But your original statement wasn't about the cartoons themselves but about the fact that adults watching them. Your thoughts on the matter were difficult to interpret because you seemed to be kind of conglomerating the arguments of "adults shouldn't enjoy kids cartoons" and "I don't enjoy kids cartoons", and in the end it didn't really come out to any proper statement.

#11 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(Robin @ Sep 1 2011, 08:00 PM) View Post

Anime. Never got it. Never will.

QFT. Anime has never interested me in the slightest.

Gimmicky-ness: I've never really got why people go for things like 3D, or remakes of old games.... I think a lot of people mistakenly buy games just because they're loaded with fancy graphic, rather than because of enjoyability or game design.

Fanboyism: Fanboyism disgusts me more than anything else; people who buy games simply because they liked past games or the company itself who made it, or people who defend a company even when they haven't played the games themselves. Also, anybody who takes personal insult when somebody insults a gaming company.

#12 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

Trash talk: I don't understand this at all. Any time you score a point in some game or sport, and feel the need to boast about it, often of the "in your face" way, I just don't understand how anyone can rub it in like that. You've got your personal validation, now go home with it. You're just setting yourself up for hatred now and later.

Seeking the (actual) truth: I do understand that "the truth is relative" as a concept, but sooner or later, you can't put a spin on something so concrete as 1+1. There's the way you saw it, and what actually happened. I'm interested in what actually happened, no matter how you say it happened. It's like, people will just stop thinking about it at some point and just believe whatever there is, no matter what it is. I understand if things are highly complex, but if you refuse to open your mind for even a moment to entertain a new possibility, you're closing yourself off from something that might be life-changing. For the good or for the bad, you'll have to take that chance. I hope you're smart enough to know the difference ahead of time.

Not giving it your all when it's just really not that hard, or can improve yourself by it: You have two hands. You have two shift keys. You really can capitalize that i you know. It won't kill you. If you pulled that crap on an essay some college professors would string you up and hang you from the flag pole.

Whining for attention, then keeping it to yourself: Posting on Facebook with "Today was HORRIBLE." Then getting a reply, "Oh? Sorry to hear. What happened?" Then responding with "I don't want to talk about it. Mind your damn business." People do this all the time. They set themselves up for attention from their friends and people who care about them, and then shoo them away as if their concern means nothing.

#13 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Sep 1 2011, 08:40 PM) View Post

Whining for attention, then keeping it to yourself: Posting on Facebook with "Today was HORRIBLE." Then getting a reply, "Oh? Sorry to hear. What happened?" Then responding with "I don't want to talk about it. Mind your damn business." People do this all the time. They set themselves up for attention from their friends and people who care about them, and then shoo them away as if their concern means nothing.

Oh, God yes. I despise that. It happens all the time, too. 9th grade girls, FTL?

#14 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

When Someone likes something a lot. other People Treat them differently cuz of it
I watch MLP:FIM and I have People treat my differently Cuz of it
----------------------------------------------
american idol
OMG i cant stand all of this crap
--------------------------------------------
dancing with the stars
Why do we care about some random Star dancing :-\
-----------------------------------------
country music
Just Cuz i live in Tennessee Doesn't mean i have to like It..God stereotypes
---------------------------------------

#15 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

Just about every movie that people see as a classic: I've never been into watching movies honestly. I have a very small library of movies, mostly animated. I own 2 live action movies, those being V for Vendetta and Scott Pilgrim vs The World. It does not help when one of my close friends is a movie buff and expects me to know a lot of movies, then is disappointed when I haven't. icon_xd.gif

TV: Aside from playing games, I almost never use any television in the house. Oh, I also watch the news or sometimes what my dad's watching when I go bother him. icon_razz.gif

Music with lyrics I understand: This can partly mean French music. This is mostly because when I'm listening to music, I'm generally concentrating on something. If I understand the lyrics, I tend to focus too much time on it.

Classic Superheroe: These are your things like Superman, Hulk and all that. Never grew up with them and never really saw the appeal. Except for Batman, but he isn't so much super powered as much as well-equipped with gadgets. :3

Most FPS's: Before I begin, yes, I have played them. Please don't call me out for hating on them for being 'popular'. Sacks of potatoes will be involved. icon_deformed.gif
<Ahem>
These include things like CoD. They do not appeal to me because the premises are generally the same. (to me.) I do enjoy watching things like Metro 2033 (post-apocalyptic Russia with some real interesting crap going one with these 'Dark Ones') and The Darkness (Dude with dark powers fighting the mafia with some freaky stuff going on) because they're not just the battle field, there's more story that I find gripping. For playing, Left4Dead and Team Fortress 2 are my choices.

WRPGs: Where my brother likes WRPGs and doesn't like JRPGs as much, I'm the opposite. It's mostly because the story doesn't seem all that interesting, and I've seen a fair chunk of what's on the market so don't tell me I'm being ignorant. icon_razz.gif Like I said, I have a brother who's likes these a lot more, so naturally I've seen a fair chunk of what they are and what they offer. Just isn't my thing.

Naturo/Bleach/Inu-Yasha: Why did I lump these together? They're bloody long. While some enjoy being able to stick with a cast for a long time, I don't. This really counts for almost any anime that reaches the 100 mark in episode count. Yes, I've watched them. I was into each of them for awhile, but I lost interest when I couldn't see any sort of ending emerging. I also don't have time to watch a 100+ anime series. (The longest I've got going is Card Captor Sakura which breaks 70 I believe, and I'm only watching it for two reasons: nostalgia and seeing how the bloody thing ended. I never got to see the end as a kid. ):< )

DeceasedCrab's LPs: I watched some of his videos and just didn't get it. I have nothing against the guy behind the controller, but I don't enjoy his videos as much. Which is weird, because my all time favourite LPer (NakaTeleeli) took inspiration from him, and I take inspiration from Naka for my own videos...So in a way, DC's influenced my own LPs despite my not enjoying hid videos. icon_deformed.gif

Of course, just to be clear, I don't really care if anyone likes this stuff. To each their own, right? They're just not my cup of tea. I do have some others, but I'd be murdered over the internet for them. icon_deformed.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users