130 replies to this topic

#31 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ Aug 10 2011, 10:32 PM) View Post

Quoted for freaking truth, seriously.

Yes, because facebook is the one and only thing that distracts people from doing real life stuff and once facebook vanishes the internet will stop to distract people becase there's nothing else of interest on the internet (and wasn't before facebook) and once the internet doesn't distract people anymore people will be super productive because they won't simply find something else to distract them with like they've done 20 years ago. Freaking truth!

#32 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(Golden Chocobo @ Aug 10 2011, 04:23 PM) View Post

I'll just make sure to save all of my pictures somewhere else icon_razz.gif

Crap, I never thought of that! If Facebook dies then I'm going to loose a ton of pictures!

#33 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(FefeRawft @ Aug 10 2011, 03:19 PM) View Post
Crap, I never thought of that! If Facebook dies then I'm going to loose a ton of pictures!

Okay, I highly doubt the hackers...y'know, I'm not even going to refer to them as Anon anymore; they're just a bunch of lousy hackers...anyway, I highly doubt the hackers are going to succeed in doing much more than taking Facebook down for a few hours, at most. A mass ddos attack (their usual form of attack) is such a simple form of web vandalism that it's basically equivalent to jamming the airwaves with static. They call themselves a hacking group, and perhaps they CAN hack, but Facebook is a large enterprise. They wouldn't be where they are if just anybody could hack into their system. We can pretty much assume that it's been tried before on perhaps a slightly smaller scale.

And by giving them advance warning, they'll be ready for it. The hackers might succeed in getting Facebook to waste money on countermeasures, but it'll be like a drop in the bucket. The only reason anybody is paying any attention to these guys is because they've tacked a name onto themselves.

And they've watched way too much V for Vendetta...

#34 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

Heh, I don't even have a facebook. So, this doesn't affect me at all.

#35 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

This annoys me. If people spend too much time on Facebook, that's their problem. I know a lot of people in a lot of places, and Facebook is perfect for me to keep in contact with them. Our family is strapped for cash, so it's not like I even have a phone to call them up with. My sister just moved across the county. One of my best friends leaves to live in New York in a few months. Facebook helps me keep in touch with those I hold dear.

People just need to be careful where they put their information. It's the same way everywhere on the internet. If you post all of your personal info somewhere, somebody is going to have access to it. It's the internet. Hell, I'm very careful with what I do with my information on the internet, and if I Google myself, I can just about get my address. Facebook's privacy policies might be a bit of a problem, but they surely aren't the big issue here.

Even if the likelihood of success is low, this pisses me off.

#36 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

It really doesn't help your cause if you sound like the villain from a James Bond movie. At least whoever wrote this was a big ham. Maybe a James Bond fan.

Notice the use of the words "citizens", "destroy", "warnings", "all so dearly adore", and "the reality".

What they oughta do is go "kill" the RIAA if they think they're so great.

Edited by King Aquamentus, 10 August 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#37 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

First off...
QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ Aug 10 2011, 12:16 AM) View Post

Now we just need someone to kill 4chan and the internet will be a pleasant place again.

If 4chan never existed, you probably never would have discovered My Little Pony. Just sayin'.

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Aug 10 2011, 08:30 AM) View Post

I have no idea where you got this from. WoW is so much designed to be addictive, it's not even funny. It's so aiming at the rewarding systems of your brain, I can't even think of anything else but actual drugs to compare this to. Facebook seems to be addictive due it's general purpose (which is social interaction). It's more that FB just happens to be addictive than WoW. Though I wouldn't be surprised if FB was designed to get people hooked, it's still worlds apart from what WoW does.

Sound to me like you need a reference. (For the record, you really don't, but I just like posting Cracked articles. Plus, it mentions Farmville, so it's on topic!)

Now, more on topic...
QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Aug 10 2011, 01:07 PM) View Post

As for this hack scare though, the hack ain't gonna really happen, and if it did, it wouldn't be nearly as dramatic as people would make it out to be. A temporary setback at worst. The only real harm, if you can even call it that, could be from the hype it gets.

Nathaniel's right. Nothing will happen. I mean, really, when was the last time that Anonymous really did anything? Especially because Anonymous isn't really a group, but a few disconnected people who use the name to (attempt to) achieve their goals because they all really like 4chan. They're about as dangerous as infants.

#38 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

Even if Anonymous *doesn't* do anything, what it doesn't realize is that this time it has screwed itself. The power of that many people, police, private citizens, bankers, lawyers... F*** it, let's just say every single person on facebook now will be hunting them down. Every member of crime lab personnel with a facebook account will be on their asses, seeking them out. And the funny part? It's not because Anon went after a nuclear missile silo, or the New York Stock Exchange... no, cause it went after Facebook of all things.

#39 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(King Aquamentus @ Aug 10 2011, 10:16 PM) View Post

Even if Anonymous *doesn't* do anything, what it doesn't realize is that this time it has screwed itself. The power of that many people, police, private citizens, bankers, lawyers... F*** it, let's just say every single person on facebook now will be hunting them down. Every member of crime lab personnel with a facebook account will be on their asses, seeking them out. And the funny part? It's not because Anon went after a nuclear missile silo, or the New York Stock Exchange... no, cause it went after Facebook of all things.

Do you honestly believe that? I bet the average person either hears about this in passing and forgets about this in about 10 minutes or doesn't hear about it again until Facebook is down for an hour on November 5. What is there to even seek out?

#40 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Aug 11 2011, 12:58 PM) View Post

Do you honestly believe that? I bet the average person either hears about this in passing and forgets about this in about 10 minutes or doesn't hear about it again until Facebook is down for an hour on November 5. What is there to even seek out?

Actually, Facebook just died an hour or so ago, but it's sort of back now. Everywhere from here (Tanunda, South Australia) to Peru to Chicago crashed for a bit. Whether that was Anonymous or just a server malfunction is anyone's guess...

I guess it's time to learn to adapt to life without Facebook?

#41 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(Taco Chopper @ Aug 10 2011, 10:40 PM) View Post
Life without facebook? What the hell is that? It sounds scary...</sarcasm>

#42 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(Taco Chopper @ Aug 10 2011, 08:40 PM) View Post
Actually, Facebook just died an hour or so ago, but it's sort of back now. Everywhere from here (Tanunda, South Australia) to Peru to Chicago crashed for a bit. Whether that was Anonymous or just a server malfunction is anyone's guess...

Any particular reason to believe it was them? There wasn't anything pointing to this date.

QUOTE(Taco Chopper @ Aug 10 2011, 08:40 PM) View Post

I've been working on that for a few weeks. It's called Google+! icon_razz.gif

#43 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

I'm not singling anyone out here, but I find that the entire mentality that Facebook is stupid because of its popularity is extremely... juvenile. I get the feeling that such dislike of Facebook arises mainly from people who carry this belief being ones who view anything done in the mainstream as being utter crap--which isn't always true. Sure, there's some damn annoying things that it seems like everyone's doing (for instance, when text messaging became prominent, it quickly became a staple of the teenage stereotype), but saying that Facebook being mainstream automatically justifies Anonymous's actions here is like saying that blowing up the Coca-Cola and Pepsi headquarters is the right thing to do because everyone drinks their sodas.

Moreover to my own personal opinion, I agree with Radien here--Facebook needs a serious overhaul in terms of their privacy options, but it doesn't justify Anonymous's desire to bring down the website.

On the note that Facebook forwards information to the government, it's not like they really have a choice. Imagine this hypothetical situation: An innocent looking Facebook group* is organized with the internal intent of helping to plan a terrorist attack on, say, a subway. The attack goes awry, and several members of the attacking group are arrested; however, one of the group members manages to delete all of the content on Facebook relevant to the attack. When the government brings the terrorism case to court, and subpoenas (cites as evidence) the records Facebook has of such a group, if Facebook were to have actually deleted such content, rather than simply obscured it from view while keeping it archived forever, imagine just how much legal trouble they would be in. They simply can't take chances like that.

Now, using it to spy on other people without some kind of warrant sort of pushes on the Bill of Rights--it would be nice to have illegal search and seizure laws apply to the Internet as well, but we're years away from such a solution.

* By innocent looking, I mean it's disguised to look like something else, such as a party invitation or some obscure club, etc.

#44 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Aug 11 2011, 01:37 PM) View Post

Any particular reason to believe it was them? There wasn't anything pointing to this date.

I haven't got any idea either, but I'm wondering if someone decided to call the shots and just do it. I wound up getting a 503 server error on my cell phone when it died. Weird.

QUOTE(Radien @ Aug 11 2011, 01:37 PM) View Post

I've been working on that for a few weeks. It's called Google+! icon_razz.gif

Me too, I joined up last week~

Facebook definitely has some privacy concerns and Anonymous has made this clear. Whether threatening them with the "slaughter" of Facebook is a good idea or not is another story and probably not exactly the best way to attack this issue...

#45 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:53 PM

This thread actually has me completely tempted to join Google+.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users