130 replies to this topic

#1 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

http://www.news.com....0-1226112232088

THE "Anonymous" internet hacking group is planning to "kill" Facebook and has announced the date it will attempt do so, in a statement gaining prominence today.

In a YouTube video, the hacking group warns, "Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed."

"If you are a willing hacktivist or a guy who just wants to protect the freedom of information then join the cause and kill Facebook for the sake of your own privacy."

The group said in its message that "Operation Facebook" would be begin on November 5. It claimed the social network, based in Palo Alto,California, provides information to "government agencies" so they can "spy on people".

While not necessarily a single entity, "Anonymous" links hackers across the word with the goal of committing acts of civil disobedience online.

Most recently, the "AntiSec" hacking group - linked to "Anonymous" - claimed last weekend that it had "defaced and destroyed" the websites of scores of US police agencies in retaliation for the arrests of cyber attack suspects.

... and this is from the Youtube video..

Attention citizens of the world,

We wish to get your attention, hoping you heed the warnings as follows:
Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed. If you are a willing hacktivist or a guy who just wants to protect the freedom of information then join the cause and kill facebook for the sake of your own privacy.

Facebook has been selling information to government agencies and giving clandestine access to information security firms so that they can spy on people from all around the world. Some of these so-called whitehat infosec firms are working for authoritarian governments, such as those of Egypt and Syria.

Everything you do on Facebook stays on Facebook regardless of your "privacy" settings, and deleting your account is impossible, even if you "delete" your account, all your personal info stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time. Changing the privacy settings to make your Facebook account more "private" is also a delusion. Facebook knows more about you than your family. http://www.physorg.c...s170614271.html http://itgrunts.com/....rom-your-iph....

You cannot hide from the reality in which you, the people of the internet, live in. Facebook is the opposite of the Antisec cause. You are not safe from them nor from any government. One day you will look back on this and realise what we have done here is right, you will thank the rulers of the internet, we are not harming you but saving you.

The riots are underway. It is not a battle over the future of privacy and publicity. It is a battle for choice and informed consent. It's unfolding because people are being raped, tickled, molested, and confused into doing things where they don't understand the consequences. Facebook keeps saying that it gives users choices, but that is completely false. It gives users the illusion of and hides the details away from them "for their own good" while they then make millions off of you. When a service is "free," it really means they're making money off of you and your information.

Think for a while and prepare for a day that will go down in history. November 5 2011, #opfacebook . Engaged.

This is our world now. We exist without nationality, without religious bias. We have the right to not be surveilled, not be stalked, and not be used for profit. We have the right to not live as slaves.

We are anonymous
We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget
Expect us

So yeah, no biggie. Anonymous just intend on taking Facebook down, even after what they've done to Sony, the US, and all those other incidents which I can't remember off the top of my head.

All the better reason to switch to Google+ icon_heh.gif

Edited by Taco Chopper, 09 August 2011 - 11:11 PM.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(Taco Chopper @ Aug 10 2011, 12:05 AM) View Post
All the better reason to switch to Google+ icon_heh.gif
Why don't they attack that, too? Google steals just as much information as Facebook.

I suppose the only thing I'd miss would be some writing I put into the Jedi vs. Sith app before it moved to its own site. And yes, there is no possible way to say that sentence without sounding nerdy. Other than that, if this actually happened, I'd probably get over it. I've got other outlets anyway. Just call me "Partially indifferent with the hope that it doesn't happen just so he can cling to trinkets of the past." icon_heh.gif

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

Killing Facebook, eh? I'll be cheering 'em on. I mean, don't me wrong, I hate Google with a burning passion and don't really want Google+ to be given the chance to succeed. But on the other hand, I hate how Facebook hands out your personal information to everybody, and I'm kind of sick of how everybody uses it and can't figure out how they'd function without it. So it doesn't affect me all too much, but I'm a bit glad it's happening.

#4 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:16 AM

A bit of retribution against Zuckerberg, after all the hacking he did in college.

I honestly think Facebook is potentially the WORST thing that has ever happened to time management; it's become an excellent way to blow countless hours while achieving absolutely nothing. If Facebook falls people might actually have lives again.

Now we just need someone to kill 4chan and the internet will be a pleasant place again.

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ Aug 10 2011, 01:16 AM) View Post

It's become an excellent way to blow countless hours while achieving absolutely nothing.

Not to mention making friends turn against each other and making people break up...
....Yes, I did do that today. I helped someone break up with this girl. And she hates me AND him. Go figure.

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:37 AM

As much as I'd love for this to work, deep down inside I know it will fail because Anonymous is just a bunch of arrogant script kiddies who can barely throw together a proper DDoS. Best case, they bring Facebook offline for a grand total of two minutes. I remember that one time they tried to take down paypal and failed miserably. And the time they tried to stop Scientology only to slowly lose interest in their cause. If this gets done, it's not Anonymous that does it. They're not anyone's personal army, and that's why they never succeed.

#7 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:20 AM

If they manage it, it won't hurt my feelings one bit. We need to take up the lost art of calling somebody up and talking to them -- or better yet, go over to their house.

#8 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:06 AM

We are anonymous
We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget
Expect us

We are a little too dramatic about ourselves, aren't we? I can't help myself but find this rather pathetic if not ridiculous. icon_shrug.gif

#9 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:01 AM

Edit-Edited for being a jerk.

Edited by ElLibertador, 23 May 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#10 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

While I'm not rooting for Facebook here, I think their reason for doing this is utter BS. Perhaps information is a little too regulated in certain cases, but there are certain things that really should NOT be public. Facebook's biggest crime is that it releases information to advertisers and the public, often without proper user authorization. By citing that they fight for "the free flow of information," the 4chan hackers are just clinging to some stupid internet equivalent of anarchism. In fact, it's not even real anarchism. True anarchists tout voluntary cooperation to overcome our problems. Anon's brand of anarchism is more like a totally unfocused form of terrorism.

In any case, for this kind of subversive behavior, WikiLeaks is closer to getting it right than Anon. For my part, I hope Facebook IS hurt, but I also hope that plenty of the hackers DO get caught afterward. That'd be a win-win for me.

Oh, and while we're at it, for those hackers who brag about taking down websites, this comic about sums it up:

http://xkcd.com/932/

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(Rafael @ Aug 10 2011, 06:01 AM) View Post

This is stupid. People who waste their time on the internet b****ing about "wasting time" on Facebook are idiots. Facebook is awesome and the people on it DO have lives. Facebook is no different than you wasting your time on PZC. There are good and bad ways to use Facebook but only because there are idiots in this world. Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with distantly people and new friends. It's awesome.

PureZC is a hobby. Facebook was designed to become an obsession. Just because you can use it in moderation doesn't mean the majority can. If something is hurting the majority, that makes it bad, no matter how "stupid" that majority is.

QUOTE(Radien @ Aug 10 2011, 06:43 AM) View Post

While I'm not rooting for Facebook here, I think their reason for doing this is utter BS. Perhaps information is a little too regulated in certain cases, but there are certain things that really should NOT be public. Facebook's biggest crime is that it releases information to advertisers and the public, often without proper user authorization. By citing that they fight for "the free flow of information," the 4chan hackers are just clinging to some stupid internet equivalent of anarchism. In fact, it's not even real anarchism. True anarchists tout voluntary cooperation to overcome our problems. Anon's brand of anarchism is more like a totally unfocused form of terrorism.

In any case, for this kind of subversive behavior, WikiLeaks is closer to getting it right than Anon. For my part, I hope Facebook IS hurt, but I also hope that plenty of the hackers DO get caught afterward. That'd be a win-win for me.

The bad guys doing something right for once, amirite?

Just discovered quote +. Quoting multiple people has never been easier.

#12 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Aug 10 2011, 05:53 AM) View Post
The bad guys doing something right for once, amirite?

If so, I assure you, it was PURELY BY ACCIDENT.

Of course, I can't truly rejoice just because an opponent was damaged by a bunch of self-righteous jerks who erroneously think they stand for the people. But I want Facebook to fall to Google+ at this point. I'm tired of the Zuckerberg model.

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Aug 10 2011, 05:53 AM) View Post
Just discovered quote +. Quoting multiple people has never been easier.

Sounds like you're ready to do a public service announcement. icon_wink.gif Or maybe an infomercial...?

Yes, I finally figured out how to PROPERLY use Quote + awhile ago, and it is quite handy for the style of posts I prefer to make.

Edit:

I had been wondering, "if they're so upset, why did they set the date of attack way out in November? That's three months away." Then I realized. they're waiting a whole three months just so can make it a reference to V for Vendetta. icon_blah.gif ...Sheesh... I saw that movie too, and it was decent, but using it for an ideological model is just stupid. The movie had a very heavy-handed moral, but it wasn't a manifesto. It was a science fiction action movie based on a comic, for crying out loud. Not exactly the most impressive basis for one's world views.

#13 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

How DO you use quote +? I wanna know too...I always have to have another tab open to copy and paste the quote blocks from =/.

As for this, I'm not a Facebook user anyway, so this wouldn't even phase me. However, maybe this would make those people who are on it all day everyday realize it's time to do something else. I mean seriously? Why spam your neighbor on Facebook when you could just go across the street and hang out with them? People these days...

#14 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Aug 10 2011, 07:53 AM) View Post
PureZC is a hobby. Facebook was designed to become an obsession. Just because you can use it in moderation doesn't mean the majority can. If something is hurting the majority, that makes it bad, no matter how "stupid" that majority is.

That's the same logic that says we have to close McDonald's because people can't figure out that you don't have to eat there every meal of every day. As an individual you are responsible for your own actions; you can't blame Facebook because of your own addictive habits, and the fact that you can't control yourself doesn't mean that you're justified in taking away my ability to use something. (I use "you" generally, I'm not talking about you personally).

Even if I accepted that argument), that's not the reason that Anonymous is doing this.

#15 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Aug 10 2011, 06:58 AM) View Post

I had been wondering, "if they're so upset, why did they set the date of attack way out in November? That's three months away." Then I realized. they're waiting a whole three months just so can make it a reference to V for Vendetta. icon_blah.gif ...Sheesh... I saw that movie too, and it was decent, but using it for an ideological model is just stupid. The movie had a very heavy-handed moral, but it wasn't a manifesto. It was a science fiction action movie based on a comic, for crying out loud. Not exactly the most impressive basis for one's world views.

Pretty sure it's also to give them plenty of time to get things together. If Anonymous tries something in a timely manner, everyone trolls each other.
QUOTE(Koh @ Aug 10 2011, 07:08 AM) View Post

How DO you use quote +? I wanna know too...I always have to have another tab open to copy and paste the quote blocks from =/.

You press the quote + button on all posts you want to quote then hit reply.
QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Aug 10 2011, 07:10 AM) View Post

That's the same logic that says we have to close McDonald's because people can't figure out that you don't have to eat there every meal of every day. As an individual you are responsible for your own actions; you can't blame Facebook because of your own addictive habits, and the fact that you can't control yourself doesn't mean that you're justified in taking away my ability to use something. (I use "you" generally, I'm not talking about you personally).

Even if I accepted that argument), that's not the reason that Anonymous is doing this.

The thing is, if McDonalds was actually putting something in their food to get people addicted, I'd feel the same way. Facebook was designed to keep you addicted while other things like WoW just kinda happened because it was fun. Both are hurting a lot of people's lives, but I feel Facebook is worse because it addicts people intentionally.

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 10 August 2011 - 08:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users