Tiny Update 02

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 23 March 2021 - 10:36 PM

Been a minute since the last update - we've both been real busy. But we've both also been adding screens and scripts galore since the last one.

I wanted to show off a feature that was hinted at in the demo, but we didn't have time to refine - the overworld map system. Here's the map showing the progress of the overworld so far!

RPAx4dv.png

This map replaces the usual space bar map that ZC automatically generates. It's fully interactable and has the following features:

• View and scroll to any screen that you've visited!
  • Press A to get info about the currently selected screen.
  • On certain screens, can show an icon to relay additional information - such as the presence of campfires or shops.
  • Supports hints from certain NPC's which will persist on the map until the hint condition is met.

See the short video below to see the map in action and how it handles hints - this time from one of Impa's fortunes.

Additionally, you can see a teaser of a new area and item - the Power Bracelet, which has been scripted from the ground up for this quest.  Also, when entering new DMaps, the area name will scroll across the top of the screen as well.

Until next time, remember - always cycle your tanks before adding fish.

Edited by Mitchfork, 23 March 2021 - 10:37 PM.

• Twilight Knight, Eddy, Jared and 3 others like this

#2 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:32 AM

I've said this already on Discord, but I'll say it again; this is some neat stuff!

Just a few questions:

• For the screen info box; does the box move to the bottom of the window if you are seeking info for a screen at the top of the map?
  • How hard was this to create and implement?
  • Is the code abstracted or specifically written to work with your quest/screens?

#3 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 24 March 2021 - 11:32 AM

Thanks!  Lemme see if I can answer these mostly...

Yep, the info box does change its position if your cursor is at the top of the map, so you'll never cover up the cursor while accessing info - should have shown this off in the video. 

I never know how to answer this question - it was a bit tedious since there are so many parts but it wasn't fundamentally hard. I used Moosh's dungeon map script for the basic framework for this, which cut down a lot on time that I spent on the core functionality of the script - things like checking for the button input and freezing/unfreezing the screen are pretty much exactly as Moosh did it.  I also cut a lot of Moosh's functionality, like checking the room states to display icons, since those aren't useful on an OW map.  Probably the hardest part was getting the cursor to work correctly... basically every screen has a number 0-207 that counts just like the internal screen numbers in ZQ do.  So creating something that:
  • Tracks the cursor position (e.g. you are selecting screen 45)
  • Figures out what screen the arrow buttons scroll to from that screen (accounting for the edges of the map)
  • And calculates what X/Y position on the screen to display the cursor at based on that position number
was a little tedious and required a lot of testing to get right.  But once that's good, you just do everything else by checking the selected screen number.

Honestly it shouldn't be that bad for somebody to pick up and edit this script to work in another.  It's reasonably abstracted - e.g. you can set constants for the width/height of the map and the display will automatically adjust everything to account for that, all of the graphics are handled through constants that you can set to different things, etc. etc.  The hard parts are threefold:
  • The text info for each screen has to be manually defined in one of the script functions, meaning you need to know how the function works and how to edit it.
  • Similar function editing for the info graphics.
  • The big thing though is how it detects what screens are visited vs. not-visited.  This is pretty specific to the quest, e.g. you have to have some way of translating "DMap 16, Screen 0x43" to "Screen 56 of the scripted map array".  This may be able to be automated somewhat if I made it check some screen value that you'd just set in ZQuest without having to modify the script.

Edited by Mitchfork, 24 March 2021 - 11:33 AM.

• Matthew likes this

#4 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 24 March 2021 - 02:33 PM

This looks very awesome, great job by you both!

That overworld map is insanely good, I really like it. Though I'm thinking it might look nicer if the borders between screens were gray?

I also really like your idea to have the area name appear in-screen when entering a new dmap. Do you mind if I implement something similar? I'll be sure to credit you both for the idea.

I should play the demo already

#5 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 24 March 2021 - 06:32 PM

I also really like your idea to have the area name appear in-screen when entering a new dmap. Do you mind if I implement something similar? I'll be sure to credit you both for the idea.

Actually I intend to release that script to the database - I have it all ready, just haven't submitted it yet - should do that soon.  So no, definitely don't mind at all.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#6 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:51 AM

Then I'll wait for your script, thank you :-)

#7 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 26 March 2021 - 10:57 PM

As a tiny update to the tiny update - the campfire menu has been completely overhauled to utilize this map display.  Watch for yourself!

• Twilight Knight and Matthew like this

#8 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:04 AM

Awesome warp system, the animations and sound effects are supreme! I think it's also great that you can warp into a dungeon immediately

Also those fortress ruins look really great

Great work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users