Help with rings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MischeviousMalfais

MischeviousMalfais

Asparagus is awesome.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:57 AM

Hello, hello, my quest is very nearly finished, however, I'm having a little trouble with this ring that I really want to put in this game.

This has probably been asked before, but how can you make it so the ring doesn't change the cset of EVERYTHING that's in cset 6 while still changing Link's color? I'd be fine if link stayed the same color actually, but I've tried setting the ring cset to 6 and it still messes everything up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Also! I'm using ZC 2.53.

• Lightwulf likes this

#2 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:39 AM

how can you make it so the ring doesn't change the cset of EVERYTHING that's in cset 6 while still changing Link's color? 

You can't... That's the way CSet 6 works, and you should not use that CSet on your screens.

• Lightwulf likes this

#3 MischeviousMalfais

MischeviousMalfais

Asparagus is awesome.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

You can't... That's the way CSet 6 works, and you should not use that CSet on your screens.

All righty ho I found out that the peril ring can basically do exactly what I want. Thanks anyway!

Edited by MischeviousMalfais, 30 May 2020 - 04:37 PM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#4 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, CSet 6 shouldn't be used for things other than Link unless you want that to happen. You can only have 256 colors on-screen at once; that is a hard limitation. So, when you change colors, it changes them all. That's just... how it works.

You can totally make it not change ANY colors though; it uses sprite palettes for what it changes, and you can set in the item editor what to use.

• Lightwulf likes this

#5 MischeviousMalfais

MischeviousMalfais

Asparagus is awesome.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:36 PM

Yeah, CSet 6 shouldn't be used for things other than Link unless you want that to happen. You can only have 256 colors on-screen at once; that is a hard limitation. So, when you change colors, it changes them all. That's just... how it works.

You can totally make it not change ANY colors though; it uses sprite palettes for what it changes, and you can set in the item editor what to use.

Cool! Very useful information to know! Thank you!

• Lightwulf likes this

#6 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:41 AM

If you just want to change Link's colour but no other colours would be to use Link tile modifiers for the ring items (similar to shields), which offsets the tiles to new ones that are drawn using different colours in the CSet (or done in 8bit mode I guess).

• Lightwulf and Matthew like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users