Photo

Screenshot of the Week 700

Shane ywkls Twilight Knight NewJourneysFire Joelmacool nicklegends klop422 Orithan Anthus Matthew

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 700 (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:22 PM

Hello everyone, Shoshon has asked me to cover for him tonight, so here I am. What a turnout we got for SotW 700! What a bunch of fantastic screenshots!

Shane
Shane.png
I heard there are cool things in this region. I guess lava wasn't one of them.

ywkls
ywkls.png
Wait a minute... I was down there, now I'm up here..
I'm so confused...

Twilight Knight
Twilight%20Knight.png
It appears that we're not welcome here

NewJourneysFire
NewJourneysFire.png
City of Moosh! A spoiler? Or a joke?

Joelmacool
Joelmacool.png
With the Castle gate open, Link is finally able to continue his journey!

nicklegends
nicklegends.png
Grr... Why did moblins have to invade such a nice meadow?

klop422
klop422.png
Just a little Goron congregation

HeroOfFire
HeroOfFire.png
Using a fire attack in a volcanic region? Sure, why not.

Orithan
Orithan.png

Lüt
Lut.png
Kid playing at edge of cliff? If rest of town doesn't care, why should Link?

Anthus
Anthus.png
Let's get that turn out bb :D

Matthew
Matthew.png
In celebration of the 700th!

• Nathaniel, Anthus, nicklegends and 7 others like this

#2 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:59 PM

I just want to say that I'm so proud of this community for getting to the 700th edition of a weekly contest. It's been a lot of fun watching this competition evolve with our forum over the years. Thanks to all the hosts and everyone who has entered for your support of the event. :)
  • Anthus, Sheik, Jared and 4 others like this

#3 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:01 AM

Classic styled Gorons are as cute as ever!

• Hergiswi likes this

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:25 AM

Didn't vote since I'm in this one! Excellent turn out, I must say.

Shane: Very nice GB styled shot! Quest when?  :bounce:

Twilight Knight- A shot from a non-Zelda-themed project? More, I say!

NewJourneysFire- Definitely a spoiler!  :clap:

Joelmacool- I'm wondering, what tileset is this? I like the foliage.

nicklegends- Very bright and shiny, I guess?

klop422- Nothing ominous going on there, nope; nosiree!

HeroOfFire- Boss time is always special.

Orithan- These shiny caves make me want them in my quest... also, favorite shot!

Lüt- A desert town. We need more of these...

Anthus- Definitely not made in five minutes...  :whistle:

Matthew- It's got that authentic GB feel.

Good work everyone! Now for the 1,000th!

• Anthus, nicklegends, Twilight Knight and 2 others like this

#5 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:04 AM

NewJourneysFire- Definitely a spoiler!  :clap:

A bit of both. There is no City of Moosh in my quest. There is a city though, but all the NPCs in the city were replaced by a bunch of Mooshes specifically for SotW 700.

#6 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:13 AM

I can't believe there are this many shots and I like literally every one of them. Amazing work. I'm gonna have to vote for klop422 though for the impressive classic Gorons.

• Twilight Knight, Matthew and ywkls like this

#7 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:54 AM

Very nice turnout this week! All the screens are amazing, if I hadn't entered, I would've voted for Matthew... I really like the fact that there isn't too much detail, making the monochrome aspect compliment the simplicity of the shot! Also...

Joelmacool- I'm wondering, what tileset is this? I like the foliage.

I'm pretty sure it's the same one you used lol (DoR Hybrid)

#8 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:32 AM

kloop422: those Gorons are really great and seems to work very well in the screen also.

#9 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

Shoutout to nicklegends for his shadows. ;p

• Hergiswi, nicklegends and Sheik like this

#10 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

I'm just surprised how popular my Goron sprites seem to be since all I did was remove the outlines from the GB goron sprites :shrug:. I suppose Gorons are just cute.

In any case, all the other shots here are fantastic, and probably would all be contenders to win - too bad we threw them all into no. 700, I guess? I didn't vote, of course, but I might have a comment for each one later on, but I got studying to do.

• nicklegends, Twilight Knight and TheLegend_njf like this

#11 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

I love everything here, but Nicklegends shadows are on a whole other level. Also congrats to us for making it to 700 of these things!

• nicklegends likes this

#12 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:46 AM

Damn, good job everyone for reaching 700 contests! That's insane to think how long this has gone on for. Here's for 800 now :P

Also I voted for Twilight Knight this week but damn it was so close between a ton of people.

• nicklegends, Twilight Knight and Matthew like this

#13 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

Such a great turnout this SotW!

Now up to the ridiculous task of reviewing them all:

Shane: what a wonderful screen, I really like it. The layout of the screen is perfect, a great palette and sweet graphics to match it. I think you could improve it a bit by giving the trees maybe some brown or redish colors as well and mix it up a bit. I do wonder how those tektites can stand on lava as well.

ywkls: I like the layout of your screen, very practical usage of the space. I also really like the palette and overall atmosphere of the screen. There are a few errors though in my opinion. The bridge and the lamp mess up the perspective a bit. I also think the yellow waterfall looks off. Still, it's a neat screen.

NewJourneysFire: now I wonder which NPCs are supposed to be in the place of the mooshes! Now this is an interesting style and rather innovative. It also looks like fun to play. The only real problem for me is that the pillars really throw off the perspective, especially the ones at the bottom. I guess that that is hard to fix though, but perhaps you could try having the statues on top of the bottom pillars face north?

Joelmacool: a very nice screen I would say. One with a lot of good things, but also some minor improvements that could have a major impact. The foliage is great, it looks really natural. The amount of trees is good, perhaps it varies a little too much, but I wouldn't change it. The ground details are lacking a bit though. I see your usage of DoR2 grass has improved, but to be honest the default grass tile doesn't look good. Maybe only when used very rarely, so I think you should cover the entire floor with bits and pieces of the grass details. It doesn't necessarily needs to be the 2x2 formation, but those do look best indeed. And maybe a few bushes on the left side? Great screen though and I'm curious to see what's inside this castle! I hope the advice helps and it's a really nice screen either way. :-)

nicklegends: a very clean and nice screen. Foremost the shadows are awesome, especially that little shadow detail on the tree tops where the front "leaf" isn't in the shadows. Now I was greedily hoping the bushes would have the same effect, but alas. Very proper detailing and a well made layout. Maybe you could tone down on the rocky ground on the mountains though? Like that it looks rather busy I think.

klop422: those are indeed cute gorons. I like the way you used the mountains and detailed the ground. Good screen!

HeroOfFire: that looks like a cool battle and I wonder what all those weapons in the subscreen could do. I feel like you tried to make the very best out of this battle screen. After all, you need the space to move around!

Orithan: is this whole cave crystallized? Very cool concept and the execution is perfect. The screen is pretty busy though, and I think you could improve it by getting rid of the color changes in the ground. Otherwise I really like this screen and the graphics used are great. Are they custom?

Lüt: a rival desert screen! Well, yours looks a lot more peaceful, a nice change of pace. Though I really like the setup of the screen, I think it could possibly have a little more details. Maybe a (dead) tree on top of that mountain? Some rocks? I'm not sure, but either way it's a decent screen already.

Anthus: wow, this has to be the coolest forest dungeon I've ever seen. Great effort on all the custom graphics, all the trees sticking around. This is just a very well constructed screen, all the layers, the depth... it's a great looking screen! Trying to think along: what do you think about some grass or vines sticking out from the tiles? That would complete the picture for me for sure.

Matthew: is this an actual screen from Link's Awakening or? If not, you got the style going pretty damn well! It's a very neat looking screen.

In the end I'm not sure who I would've voted for. Perhaps Anthus or maybe Shane or nicklegends or Joelmacool or.... Too many to choose from!

This was a remarkable lot of text to write...

• Anthus, nicklegends, judasrising and 1 other like this

#14 Skipper

Skipper

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:51 PM

Don't think I didn't see the secret 700 in your screenshot, nicklegends. :P

Anyway, I'm gonna have to go with yours. It's clean, and the added shadows enhance the overall screenshot without getting in the way of the "clean" look.

• nicklegends likes this

#15 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:38 PM

Anthus is jiggling my jugular.

• Anthus likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shane, ywkls, Twilight Knight, NewJourneysFire, Joelmacool, nicklegends, klop422, Orithan, Anthus, Matthew

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users