Photo

Screenshot of the Week 217

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 217 (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screen!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

billy ronald
IPB Image
How can Billy defend himself agiest all these moblins. PS I still need to change the Link sprite

blaman
IPB Image
Hrm...Funny coloured trees? Yep, this must be the place.

Bowser Blanchette
IPB Image
Come back here Leever! I'm not done with you!

Ebola Zaire
IPB Image
Nothing quite as touching as a boy and his bridge...

XxGamasterxX
IPB Image
Someday Link will buy a real house instead of one in a tree...

Schwa
IPB Image
Super strong opponents, a relentless blizzard and little air pressure way up here... Good thing Link's always prepared. We hope.

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:33 PM

I don't like any shot this week, except for Ebola's... It's a GREAT shot... the others are really bad, in my opinion... so Ebola is allready the winner.. icon_biggrin.gif
The others are just WAY to empty, and some even uses the wrong csets... Billy's shot uses the mountains wrong... though, it's wron in MY opinion... that is, I don't LIKE the way they're used... saying they're used wrong, isn't right... Cause they kinda are... I just don't like that way. They're also too straight... again :3
Gamaster's shot is the worst of the bunch, with no blocked of corners, which I don't like... it's just a screen full of grass (which isn't used right) along with some random tiles stuffed over it... Use mountains, or atleast some fences, to block of some ways out, will ye?
Bowser's shot is too empty on the ground detail.
Blaman's shot... I just don't like it, I'm sorry... I think they gray is a little too bright.
Schwa's shotis good though.

Edited by Migokalle, 29 June 2008 - 02:38 PM.

#3 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

Well at least it made it into a SotW

That shot is one of the teaser shots to the LoB Mini Quest and was ment to be in SotW 216 but I frogot to send it to /m/ but I don't relly care if it is in this week as I woun't be here

(just so you know It will be hatless Link)
(and now that I look at it is a bit empty)

ALso Eloba: where did you get that dirt from

#4 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

Ebola has my vote, but Schwa's and Blaman's caught my eye well too.

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

billy ronald:
You haven't shown such empty screen in a long time. At least some stones and something on the left mountain side would be nice...

blaman:
Nice colours. You used one of my favourite walls as castle, nice.

Bowser Blanchette:
Biting empty feeling... small perspective issue at the stairs... maximal size of perspective issue at the waterfall... (the top and bottom of the waterfall is on the same level?!) No good.

Ebola Zaire:
Touching? The only touching thing is that this screen makes me remember my childhood when my grandparents brought me near Hungary's highest point and there was a walley and a small river and... oh, memories... The very nice bridge, layout and water are just extras... Voted.

XxGamasterxX:
Link should buy screen details, too. There's plenty of place for that. This looks like a field, but has only grass base (without its detail) and a few not randomly placed flowers and leaves... too few.

Schwa:
Extreme nice winter palette and ultimate cloud background. It will be a wonder to play.

#6 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(billy ronald @ Jun 29 2008, 01:40 PM) View Post

Well at least it made it into a SotW

That shot is one of the teaser shots to the LoB Mini Quest and was ment to be in SotW 216 but I frogot to send it to /m/ but I don't relly care if it is in this week as I woun't be here

(just so you know It will be hatless Link)
(and now that I look at it is a bit empty)

I believe Revfan ripped it once... then Linkus edited it...
I'm using it too... a very nice dirt, in the RIGHT palettes... it sucks in the normal DoR palettes :/

#7 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

Voted for Ebola Zaire.
6st - Bowser Blanchette: See CastChaos' comment.
5th - XxGamasterxX: Empty, random..., empty.
4th - Billy Ronald: Empty, random..., empty. It least this one contains some effort.
3rth - Schwa: It's very good, compared to the previous 3. No real complaints.
2nd - Blaman: Everything looks good, only the castle is somewhat empty.
1st - Ebola Zaire: One of the best DoR screens I ever seen, perfect.

@Migokalle: *Looks at own quest* Nope, the dirt looks fine in the standard DoR palette.

#8 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Jun 29 2008, 01:55 PM) View Post

Voted for Ebola Zaire.
6st - Bowser Blanchette: See CastChaos' comment.
5th - XxGamasterxX: Empty, random..., empty.
4th - Billy Ronald: Empty, random..., empty. It least this one contains some effort.
3rth - Schwa: It's very good, compared to the previous 3. No real complaints.
2nd - Blaman: Everything looks good, only the castle is somewhat empty.
1st - Ebola Zaire: One of the best DoR screens I ever seen, perfect.

@Migokalle: *Looks at own quest* Nope, the dirt looks fine in the standard DoR palette.

Well... I realyl don't care if you think so... I was mearly stating my opinion icon_biggrin.gif

#9 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

Oh MAN... Ebola crushed me like a panther on a fruit fly... icon_blind.gif

Well, I nulled since I was in this contest, but I would've definitely voted for Ebola if I wasn't. That's one of the all-time best screenshots I've ever seen, EVER. It barely even looks like DoR it's so detailed. Nice use of Linkus's bridge too, by the way. icon_smile.gif

The other ones I didn't like at all. Too bland. Mine's not so bland, but after looking at Ebola's for about half a minute then looking back at mine, mine looks like crap. icon_frown.gif

#10 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

Remember, I'm trying to be constructive.

billy: I still don't like your use of mountains. Also, trade those big trees for smaller ones because the treetops are taking too much room on the screen. Finally, the ground style is too awkward to me.
Grade: D+

blaman: You should have stick to Pure Trees because the DOR Trees don't look right to me on Pure especially when they are used in many different colors. Also the castle is kinda style clashy.
Grade: C+

B. Blanchette Lack of Detail, Boxy Mountain Strucure, and Awkward use of the Waterfall.
Grade: D-

Ebola Zaire: Everything on this screen is great except that bridge. The color of the bridge doesn't really blend in with all the other tiles. And I wished that water was transparent. icon_naughty.gif . Well Done!
Grade: A- :vote:

XxGamasterxX Too Empty. It's like placing a few objects on an empty sheet of paper.
Grade: F

Schwa: Molka Elite is looking great! It was an honor to review the demo! Nothing to complain here. icon_wink.gif
Grade: A-

#11 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

Ebola Zaire's shot is amazing, I love the setup, and the details. icon_drool.gif
So yes, it's obvious where my vote is going. icon_biggrin.gif

#12 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

I nulled since I'm already in this one.

billy ronald
Great work on this. I would add a little more ground detail, and curve the mountains a bit more, but overall, it has some great potential.

blaman
Hey! That looks absolutely identical to a shot in my quest, down to the statues! Are you stealing my stuff?! icon_razz.gif

Bowser Blanchette
It seems very empty. I would add some ground detail to spice things up, and add some more elevation on the mountains, or at least curve it up some more, since it's a little too straight.

Ebola Zaire
This shot is absolutely beautiful! The detail and design is just amazing! I'm really impressed with this shot. I'm not so sure about the water, but I geuss I'd have to see it in motion to know how it really works. I would have voted for it, if I weren't already in this week.

XxGamasterxX
This shot requires much detail, and needs to take more advantage of the SD3 grass, seeing as it's not really being used properly, IMO. Some trees and detail would do this shot some good.

Schwa
The shot itself is really good and enjoyable, but the snow is too big, obstructing too much of the scren, making it difficult to see it, IMO. Still, nice shot overall.

#13 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

billy ronald- 5/10
This shot seems like it could be a lot better if a little more time were spent on it. The symmetrical and straight usage of the mountains is uninteresting, and the details (especially the gray leaves and the brown rocks) are poorly placed.
blaman- 6/10
The shot is interesting and well-designed, but the colors are a bit too overwhelming. However, since it seems intentional, I'd say your only fault this week was picking a bad shot to submit. icon_confused.gif
Bowser Blanchette- 4/10
The stairs and the waterfall makes no sense, and the majority of the shot is completely without detail. icon_unsettled.gif
Ebola Zaire- i/10
A cornucopia of love.
XxGamasterxX- 3/10
It looks like you're quite new at this. I'd suggest you start out with a less detailed set and study screenshots by people like Plissken, Evile, and Trimaster001 for ZC design principles. As general hints, I'd say always make an attempt to close off all corners (this isn't mandatory, but you'd be surprised by how much better it'll make the shot), try to put something other than the default grass tile on 90% of the screen, and place the details randomly.
Schwa- 7/10
Good, solid shot with lots of action. Not really much more I can say. icon_shrug.gif My vote would have gone here, had I not been competing.

Looking back, I really reviewed harshly this week- I don't think the turnout was quite up to par with what we normally see during SotW, with the exception of Schwa. Alright, response time!

QUOTE(billy ronald @ Jun 29 2008, 02:40 PM) View Post
Linkus put it in with a couple of house tiles in the DoR 2.0 development thread.
QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jun 29 2008, 02:43 PM) View Post
Ebola Zaire:
Touching? The only touching thing is that this screen makes me remember my childhood when my grandparents brought me near Hungary's highest point and there was a walley and a small river and... oh, memories... The very nice bridge, layout and water are just extras... Voted.
Walley? Do you mean valley? Anyway, awesome that I could bring back memories with something as simple as a ZC screen.
QUOTE(Schwa @ Jun 29 2008, 03:20 PM) View Post
Oh MAN... Ebola crushed me like a panther on a fruit fly... icon_blind.gif

Well, I nulled since I was in this contest, but I would've definitely voted for Ebola if I wasn't. That's one of the all-time best screenshots I've ever seen, EVER. It barely even looks like DoR it's so detailed. Nice use of Linkus's bridge too, by the way. icon_smile.gif

The other ones I didn't like at all. Too bland. Mine's not so bland, but after looking at Ebola's for about half a minute then looking back at mine, mine looks like crap. icon_frown.gif
Hey, don't sweat it. We design overworlds very, very differently- not necessarily a bad thing in my book.
QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Jun 29 2008, 04:04 PM) View Post
Ebola Zaire: Everything on this screen is great except that bridge. The color of the bridge doesn't really blend in with all the other tiles. And I wished that water was transparent. icon_naughty.gif . Well Done!
Grade: A- :vote:
I don't see how you can have a problem with the color of the bridge- it uses the exact same browns as all of the other objects. icon_razz.gif Also, I've tried transparent water. I don't seem to have much luck with it- all of the black just turns a really unattractive blue color.
QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Jun 29 2008, 04:04 PM) View Post
Remember, I'm trying to be constructive.
And doing a fine job of it.

#14 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

Hey, don't sweat it. We design overworlds very, very differently- not necessarily a bad thing in my book.

That, and we each use a tileset that's vastly different from the other. icon_wink.gif Sometimes I wonder if we should host special SotWs every so often, like, "all DoR", or "all PTUX", or other things like "Only dungeons", "Only overworlds", etc. Though this SotM is coincidentally all PTUX, so hey...

Thanks though. icon_smile.gif Let me tell you, it's hard to be a good sport sometimes, for me anyway, 'cause I'm so extremely competitive... Almost felt like crying when I first saw the vote turnout yesterday. icon_blink.gif I'm sure some of you can relate.

The shot itself is really good and enjoyable, but the snow is too big, obstructing too much of the screen, making it difficult to see it, IMO. Still, nice shot overall.

Ah right, the snow. I knew that'd be a risk. It's better seen in action, 'cause I've got the snow to animate really really fast (Speed 0 or 1 I think) so it's not so much a nuiscance. Except when you're trying to pinpoint details on a screen, i.e. a discolored bush, etc.

By the way, that gold firey eye thing is a Cracktorock. icon_wink.gif

#15 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

Seems I'm one of only two people to vote for Schwa, the shot really appeals to me for some reason.

Ebola's is amazing as well. Two great, great shots. Blaman's is okay, but the rest lack detail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users