Enemy Damage Rule of Thumb

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

Is there a rule of thumb for how much enemy damage you think is fair?

Let's say Link doesn't have any defensive upgrades or potions in a quest.

What is the max damage an average enemy should deal at 3 hearts?

What is the max damage an average enemy should deal at 4 hearts?

What is the max damage an average enemy should deal at 5 hearts?

What is the max damage an average enemy should deal at 6 hearts?

What is the max damage an average enemy should deal at 7 hearts?

What is the max damage an average enemy should deal at 8 hearts?

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

I'd say, in order,

Basically, for me, I don't think anything should ever do more than half your health, unless it's a special situation, which should be far and few between imo.

Also, this is the maximum, not what I think enemies should always deal. :P

#3 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

I think it also depends on how many enemies you are placing. They could deal more damage if you are very low on enemy count. Granted, I still do something like this.

At 3 hearts, they deal like .25-.5 hearts.

At 4, it's like .25-.75

At 5, I'll do .5-1.0

6, 1-1.5

7, 1.25-2

8, 1.5-2.5

I don't like high damage enemies. Unless it's something like Dark Souls where you have more of a challenge with being precise.

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:49 PM

Yeah it's more about avoiding super-quick deaths until your stats are stronger, once you get a lot of hearts it's not much of an issue.

#5 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:26 PM

For reference, Z1 enemies did a max of 4 hearts of damage (Wizzrobes and Ganon's touch damage), so I'd say the most damage one enemy should EVER do is probably 5 or 6 hearts (if you're at 24 max). Death Knights, at 20 freaking hearts, are right out.

Edited by Binx, 10 July 2018 - 09:26 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#6 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:55 AM

As a rule of thumb enemy damage scaling relative to Link`s HP in pacticular level is heavily dependent on dungeon/level design, enemy movement & attack patterns and Link`s current inventory, not only Sword & Tunic levels. Sometimes hordes of Death Knights can be killed with exploiting one single quirk in dungeon design. And a single Keese/bat can one-hit-kill Gold-ringed Link with 50 hearts just by kicking him into a pit with All-Ignoring Super Insta-Death Spikes Of GoreSploding Horror or similar trap. And oftentimes a fast, unpredictable enemy that can only be killed by bombs, despite dealing 1/2 hearts in damage (out of 16) per hit is far more dangerous than a slow moving, frontal-shielded DarkNut that deals 8 hearts in damage per hit with current defense level, like Blue ring. You need to always accout many things in quest design to properly balance enemy damage/Link HP scaling. Enemy special abilities also affect that scaling in a very powerful way. Say, Like Like that permanently destroys items, resources and such, Bubbles that jinx actions for short time or even permanently, enemies that can sabotage puzzles, forcing Link to exit & reenter room, or just warping to last visited checkpoint (hello, Wallmasters). It`s all incorporated into quest design.

P.S. it`s outright possible to render Link a one-hit-point wonder and still have the quest being fun.

Edited by Alucard648, 10 April 2019 - 06:13 AM.

#7 Twilight Hero

Twilight Hero

Heir to the Hero

• Members

Posted 03 February 2021 - 01:03 AM

Yeah, about Death Knights, I think the most I have in a room is three as the boss of a bonus dungeon. What are they're purpose anyway? Is it better just to nerf them a bit? (I did that)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users