Larger 1st Quest?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

Hey, has anybody actually made progress on this?

#17 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:01 PM

I completed the design for Hyrule Field, then started go back over it and correct some screen edge issues, but I've had to take a break from ZC lately

#18 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

I find this topic, and this idea, interesting.

Here is something that applies, that may interest you in return:

XTEAgwz.jpg

#19 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

How much are you planning on updating the game? I've been playing this game called Darkstone on ps1, the main quest is similar to Z1--you tavel to dungeons to collect 8 plot coupons that combine into a MacGuffin. It has more RPG elements (thats a different topic) than Zelda, but each dungeon is its own miniature story / quest.

Dungeons have objectives to meet before you can actually get your crystal.

Its almost like sages have triforce pieces, some outside of the dungeon and you might have to trade an item from the dungeon for it. Sometimes a sage has been captured or killed, in which case, you need to grab your Triforce piece from the sage's murderer, etc.

The story is still pretty minimal, just like Z1, but the NPCs are important.

How are you approacing the raft v flippers debate? Level 4 is on an island, but the raft seriously impedes exploration. And with such a large overworld, there's going to be a lot of water that you can't explore.

#20 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

I find this topic, and this idea, interesting.

Here is something that applies, that may interest you in return:

XTEAgwz.jpg

I like the idea of saying this river, mountain or forest is the analogue to the area(s) from this other game, so that you can add details from later games to update older maps, but trying to overlay one map on top of another is a preposterous effort. "It's important that this river and this graveyard are in the same spot, but never mind that this forest and this lake are on the other side of the world". The games geography always has a lake, a forest, a mountain etc. but we shouldn't compare their layout directly to each other. It's fine for the story history to pretend they don't spontaneously relocate, but they clearly do.

• Reflectionist and Anthus like this

#21 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:19 AM

If You guys noticed in each Zelda Overworld, They 'Diagonally tilt' the Hyrule map each game, they did this from Snes to Ocarina of time to Twilight princess.  The first Nes game was all up in the air and probably not really the hyrule from the other games just an entirely different lower area as is Zelda II a higher mapped area.  In Twilight they added even more extra areas in-between.

If you guys are just going to expand the overworld, do rpg map overworld style or even Expand the world of the Original Nes Zelda and make it larger with even more places and dungeons.

Maybe some sub Areas in the original Nes you can walk into to enter other maps. This would solve the problems and complications of trying to expand the land all around you easily and simpler.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 18 September 2017 - 02:21 AM.

#22 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

The first Nes game was all up in the air and probably not really the hyrule from the other games just an entirely different lower area as is Zelda II a higher mapped area.  In Twilight they added even more extra areas in-between.

Yes and no. Zelda II's overworld is an expanded Hyrule with the main one appearing in the far southwest. This small section of the map is the same Hyrule seen in other games.

I've had a different idea in mind for the original Zelda that isn't quite as bold (though I do like yours, cukeman), and officially killed work on Zero Quest DX for me (yeah it's dead now officially. I'm not gonna work on it) as it would require some extensive reconstruction of the map...

reimagine the original game on a square grid, like Alttp or Link's Awakening. ;) this allows certain familiar areas to gain *new* screens, and maybe even add in some new areas to the map, like a proper Lake Hylia (maybe seperating the central lake into two?), or including the gerudo desert.

Edited by King Aquamentus, 18 September 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#23 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:52 PM

...reimagine the original game on a square grid, like Alttp or Link's Awakening. ;) this allows certain familiar areas to gain *new* screens, and maybe even add in some new areas to the map, like a proper Lake Hylia (maybe seperating the central lake into two?), or including the gerudo desert.

Not sure I follow, would you be cutting the map in half and using the GB screen dimensions, or?

#24 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

No, more like stretching out what is already there while at the same time using some of the space to add new areas not explored in the original game.

I actually drew this out once but I dont know what happened to it...
  • Cukeman likes this

#25 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

One reason in particular that I like the idea that Z1 is only that tiny slice of Hyrule, is that it also explains why the palace in ZII is 'North Palace', meaning that the castle in Zelda 3 is the 'South Palace'. Obviously, this doesn't fit the geography of later games perfectly.

My opinion, is that after each epic battle, when the Triforce is assembled, the wishes of the user also rearrange the land to fit the bearer's heart.
  • Cukeman likes this

#26 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

No, more like stretching out what is already there while at the same time using some of the space to add new areas not explored in the original game.

I actually drew this out once but I dont know what happened to it...

Ah, so vertically enlarged to be a square?

Edited by Cukeman, 19 September 2017 - 09:28 PM.

#27 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Yes, vertically enlarged. However exact dimensions of different areas can be played around with as needed
  • Cukeman likes this

#28 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Are you guys suggesting to set this in a more traditional-esque Hyrule, or saying that this is like having an entire game on the Great Plateau?

#29 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

In my opinion this is an idea for a cosmetic upgrade, I'm working on an image file in Photoshop, not working in ZQuest. If the image file(s) turn out well then a quest might be worth looking into- if a tileset were available. However, it is fun to discuss all the theoretical possibilities.

• Reflectionist likes this

#30 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

I can't wait to see how it ends up. I've been wanting to do a quest like this to help me learn ZQuest better and game design in general (but I'd also be using scripts from my original quest to get better with those, too. That adds a lot...potions, bottles, npcs, cliffs, pits, m.cap warping, peg boots, and hot/cold + ice floors. Moosh spoiled me. Thank you, Moosh!)

The thing about interpreting Z1's overworld is that there are trees and rocks. Red and green. Not much in the way for different environments. I'm curious how you'd approach this at a larger scale. (With one overworld, its understandable, with four, isn't it an issue?)

But I'm just spitballing. I love exploring large maps I'm somewhat, but not overly familiar with.

Either way, can't wait to see your photoshop img, Cukeman!

Edit--I know this isn't the same thing, but there IS the BS Zelda map if you'd rather enlarge that. But it doesn't quite have the nostalgia that the ol rectangle does...

Edited by Reflectionist, 24 September 2017 - 08:57 PM.

• Cukeman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users