"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:56 AM

klop422 has an account there too, as mentioned a few posts back

EDIT:

Gleeok: 41

Cukeman: 5

Draws: 0 (+1 that doesn't count)

But Gleeok really had to fight for some of these wins!

Edited by Cukeman, 16 December 2017 - 09:11 PM.

• Gleeok likes this

#32 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:18 AM

Cukeman, you play chess like it should be played: Opposite side castling, throwing pieces around the center, and attacking anything that moves! The chances of us drawing are about the same as both of us moving the pieces backwards at the same time! :P

I think the cobwebs will fall off off eventually, but nah, I'm not keeping score; though if we get enough people(is 8 the min? idk) we could have a monthly tourney or something.
  • Anthus and Cukeman like this

#33 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:10 AM

Cukeman, you play chess like it should be played: Opposite side castling, throwing pieces around the center, and attacking anything that moves! The chances of us drawing are about the same as both of us moving the pieces backwards at the same time! :P

I think the cobwebs will fall off off eventually, but nah, I'm not keeping score; though if we get enough people(is 8 the min? idk) we could have a monthly tourney or something.

klop422 has an account there too, as mentioned a few posts back

EDIT:

Gleeok: 16

Cukeman: 2

But Gleeok really had to fight for some of these wins!

I logged in for the first time in ages, and I approved your friend request Cukeman, your your request (new account) Gleeok.

IDK when I'll have time to do this. I'll see if Chess.com works on my Android device. Also, me playing drunk will give both of you an advantage.

FWIW, I think that it would be fun if we all started playing Shogi. Grayswandir is the most advanced Shogi player amongst us, so it would be a contest of learning capacity, as well as strategy,

I've played Shogi in the past, and I played a game against Gray. t's an interesting diversion.

One of these years, I will finish up the patents on my own chess-style game, and make a 'net version of it. That will indeed be interesting. It's played on a triangular board, but it is either two, or three players.

#34 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

Just gonna join here, because Gleeok sent me a message. I'll send the two others of you a request each.

Also, ZoriaRPG as you mention Shogi ('Japanese Chess'), I'll bring up Xiangqi ('Chinese Chess'). I quite enjoy that one. I'd love to play that with more people - I've played that with two or three people in my life, having known how to play for years.

Talking of chess variants, http://www.chessvariants.com/ has hundreds, and Game Courier is a program they use for playing some. Some games enforce rules (the well-known ones), and some don't.

I would say, for chess, chess.com is the easiest way to play it, and it gives you a rating, but if others are willing to try game courier, I'll see if I can work out how to set it up. Would be quite fun to try some other games. If I remember correctly, Ultima was pretty good.

EDIT: I think that's the requests all sent.

Edited by klop422, 17 December 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#35 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

Cukeman, you play chess like it should be played

Gleeok: 47

The stats beg to differ.

Edited by Cukeman, 20 December 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#36 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:08 PM

Sorry, I stopped playing blitz for a while because all the time people would rage-quit when they are about to lose by disconnecting or losing on time, and then you just have to wait for the game to end. Really shameful there are so many poor sports out there. So then I starting doing tournaments instead, but then you get people that lose the first game and then just "stop playing" so you are in the same 'shithole' as before except that now the game ends on move one, which is even worse -- I don't care about useless online rating points, I just want to play a game dammit!

"If you're not big enough to lose, you're not big enough to win." ~Walter Reuther

Gleeok: 47
The stats beg to differ.

Nah. That just means I'm (currently) the stronger chess player, not that you play unprincipled or bad, or anything. In fact, you don't have many of the bad habits a lot of novice players have. Although the "knight is always better than the bishop" thing is bad, it seems like you are figuring out that bishops are generally very good in open positions and give you more attacking options.

Anyway, I would lose every game to Hikaru Nakamura. Doesn't mean I would play every game like a patzer though. He's just really, really, really... super amazingly, really fantastically good and stuff. :P

Playing better players is also a good way to get better yourself.

#37 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

Sorry, I stopped playing blitz for a while because all the time people would rage-quit when they are about to lose by disconnecting or losing on time, and then you just have to wait for the game to end. Really shameful there are so many poor sports out there. So then I starting doing tournaments instead, but then you get people that lose the first game and then just "stop playing" so you are in the same 'shithole' as before except that now the game ends on move one, which is even worse -- I don't care about useless online rating points, I just want to play a game dammit!

"If you're not big enough to lose, you're not big enough to win." ~Walter Reuther

Nah. That just means I'm (currently) the stronger chess player, not that you play unprincipled or bad, or anything. In fact, you don't have many of the bad habits a lot of novice players have. Although the "knight is always better than the bishop" thing is bad, it seems like you are figuring out that bishops are generally very good in open positions and give you more attacking options.

Anyway, I would lose every game to Hikaru Nakamura. Doesn't mean I would play every game like a patzer though. He's just really, really, really... super amazingly, really fantastically good and stuff. :P

Playing better players is also a good way to get better yourself.

Yeah, every time I find someone who realizes they've lost, then abandons the game without resigning (in the hopes I'll concede rather than wait it out) gets blocked.

In my experience I still find knights to be more versatile than bishops  :eng101:

(Daniel King and I agree on that one)

I do find myself in a lot of situations where bishops are no longer relevant.

I was thinking about my chess development:

-learning how the pieces move

-learning how they work in tandem

-learning to develop pieces before it's too late

-learning how to control key territory on the board

And recently:

-trades are not "even" if the opponent gains ground

-learning how to keep your king's entourage supported

-learning how to make every move count

Edited by Cukeman, 19 January 2018 - 10:55 PM.

#38 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:16 AM

Most games with rating systems will have these types of players who care about rating scores and not the actual experience. Sometimes, losing close games can teach you a lot, and even in a massacre, you can still learn where you went wrong and maybe how to put up resistance in a bad position.

Knight vs bishop can be tricky. The position will dictate which one is better.

#39 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

Bishops just feel cheap to me. I feel like they're pretty weak and easy to take out, so you only have yourself to blame for not paying attention to them because they're so easily dealt with. That and in late game when they're bound to a single color they can find themselves with zero influence, that's less likely with a knight, as they can change colors.

#40 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:21 AM

It's true that a 'bad' bishop in the endgame may be useless or relegated to purely defensive duties. However, a 'good' bishop in the endgame can be a monster piece that just seemingly attacks everything on the board at once. Also, the bishop pair in the endgame can be decisive. Contrarily, a 'bad' knight in an endgame can be just as bad as a bad bishop, depending on the pawn structure.

Because chess is a very dynamic game, there's no easy answer here. Saying one is always better than another is definitely incorrect though, just as saying a rook is always better than a bishop or knight would be wrong as well. At the end of the day it is a game of strategy, tactics, and geometry; weakening important squares along diagonals by trading away a 'good' bishop for a knight without regard for the position, or immediate tactical justification, simply cannot be the best way to play.

#41 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:43 AM

To be fair I'd rather do that trade than retreat my bishop. I don't try to trade unless there's a reason.

#42 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

With practice, you start learning how to make the position fit your pieces. Flexibility is important, otherwise, a good opponent can manipulate a position against you quickly. Knowing when to trade vs keep a piece takes practice. Many times, the results aren’t immediately obvious until later on.

#43 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:38 AM

I was going to say this earlier but I somehow forgot: A really good way to improve general chess ability is to solve chess puzzles and tactics. Even if you only do a few a day, it will pay off. There's a trick though: Never guess or give up on a problem. Always fully work out (in your head) the complete variation until the end, even if it takes you 20 minutes or more. If you can't see anything, then simply try and find the best idea to play as if you are playing a real game.

With practice, you start learning how to make the position fit your pieces. Flexibility is important, otherwise, a good opponent can manipulate a position against you quickly. Knowing when to trade vs keep a piece takes practice. Many times, the results aren’t immediately obvious until later on.

You play? Feel free to send a friend request if you have an account. There's only four of us right now, but I find it hard to believe that that's everyone considering we're basically a gaming/game-making community.

#44 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

Bishops are especially good if you still have both of them. Sure, moving both at once takes longer, but together they're quite powerful.

Chess.com actually has a 'lessons' feature where it gives you an example from an actual game and takes you through various moves made, with explanations on why they're good moves. The 'tactics' feature is also good for getting used to noticing good moves. I'm not amazing at either, but it's there.

Of course, unless you pay money to upgrade your account, you can only do one lesson per day and five tactics per day. And the first few lessons are 'how to move pieces'. You want to go into the lesson list and pick out the ones that look interesting. Takes ages if you're only going one per day, though.

#45 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

I was going to say this earlier but I somehow forgot: A really good way to improve general chess ability is to solve chess puzzles and tactics. Even if you only do a few a day, it will pay off. There's a trick though: Never guess or give up on a problem. Always fully work out (in your head) the complete variation until the end, even if it takes you 20 minutes or more. If you can't see anything, then simply try and find the best idea to play as if you are playing a real game.

You play? Feel free to send a friend request if you have an account. There's only four of us right now, but I find it hard to believe that that's everyone considering we're basically a gaming/game-making community.

Haven't played for quite some time.  Pretty rusty at this time.  Though could consider it if I have a little extra time.  My user name on chess.com is the same as here.

Edited by pixcalibur, 21 January 2018 - 10:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users