TBA.zh (Text-Based-Adventure)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

I've started a GitHub repo for TBA.zh, which is an engine for creating Text-Based-Adventure games in ZQuest. This requires the use of keyboard input, which is a 2.54+ (and 2.60) feature. The general model is based very much on the ZScript parsing code, using strings that compile down to assembly, and the assembly is stored as numerical tokens that the parsing engine uses to process as instructions.

For those who are unfamiliar, this is the old Apple II / DOS / Spectrum / Commodore style fo text-adventure, where you type commands into the parser, and the programme interprets those instructions into game actions. Specifically, I am using the Beam Inglighsyntax for this, as it seems the most reasonable to me, and as The Hobbit is the most infamous example of their TBA titles, the lexicon for TBA.zh uses its dictionary.

The model will use ZQuest features for enemy placement, screen items, map design, and so forth, to plot out a game, and the text parser itself can run multiple quests with little to no change. Character names and similar will eventually be stored in a base set of npcs, and the parser will grab these and store them as strings in the assembly to do comparisons.

If any of you wish to overview this, here is the GitHub repository. Participation is welcome, but not critical, and given both the esoteric nature of this, and the fact that it requires a version of ZQuest that is not generally available to work at all, it will remain as little more than a curiosity for a good while.

I still need to define some of the API, and the code in the repo for the Beam side of things contains several sets of models. The newest is in there, but I have yet to strip out what I am no longer using; however, for those of you who want to see how to make a programming language that works on top of ZScript, this may interest you.

It is not nearly as impressive as Grayswandir's implementation of LISP over ZScript, but we can't all be that mental. :D

P.S. If you truly want to be sadistic, you could convert this to work in 2.50.x, with an on-screen cursor-based keyboard.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 05 August 2017 - 10:30 AM.

• strike, coolgamer012345 and Matthew like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2.60

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users