Photo

Let's Talk about Quest Concepts we have.

Zeldaclassic Quest Concepts Zelda Classic Quest ideas

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

Behold the might of legend!

• Members

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

I kinda want to talk about a few quest concepts I have and maybe hear what quest ideas/concepts other people have to share. Anyways I'll start by sharing a few of my own ideas/pipe dreams for a few quests I eventually want to make.

Quest Idea #1: A GB Zelda styled demake of Dink Smallwood

I honestly think that a demake of Dink Smallwood using the Vintage Dreams tileset as a starting point has the potential to be good.

The original Dink Smallwood was a funny and satirical game from 1998 that had gameplay reminiscent of the classic Zelda games but with Isometric graphics and kinda had a simple exp system where every time up leveled up your health get expanded slightly and you get a single point that you can use to either expand your Attack Power (how much damage you do), Your Magic (which reduces the cooldown time on the handful of spell you find, which works like classic Zelda items) or your Defense power (How much damage you take).

There's a few noteworthy things about Dink Smallwood that would be easy to do in Zelda Classic (Bombs are one of the items Dink uses. The Alk Nuts and Elixirs are both healing items Dink can use. The crossbow can be easily done with the vanilla Bow, The Fireball spell, easily subbed in with the Wand; and the Scroll can be substituted with the Bait) and a few that might required some scripting (The Acid Rain spell, the Herb/Hyper Boots which not only allows Dink to move fast when equipped but also allows him to punch really fast as well, potentially making the Fists the strongest weapon in the game in terms of having a high DPS despite having a much lower base damage than the strongest sword in the game).

One the big motivations and reasons I have for this idea is because I think Dink Smallwood if it were remade as a quest for Zeldaclassic has potential, especially if expanded and fleshed out a bit further.

Quest Idea #2: An YS/Legend of Zelda crossover quest

This is another one I been ruminating, pondering and thinking about. This quest idea basically is an excuse for an Adol Christin/Link teamup where you control both heroes (Red and Green respectively)

and I have the basic idea of the area progression though out a bit but it's the basic gameplay I'm agonizing about because how do you incentivize players to swap between Adol and Link? Both heroes have some similar items between them (The Mask of Eyes and the Lens of Truth immediately comes to mind).

Before I vent out on the various approaches I have considered on incentivizing the players to swap between the two I wish to discuss the progression I have in mind when it comes to traveling the quest's overworld and the basic beginning of how the quest's story would start.

The story starts out in media res in another fight against Ganon. The results of the battle causes the triforce to split and fly off, opening rifts across areas in Hyrule leading to Adol's World and somehow Link teams up with Adol after meeting him in the quest's level 1 dungeon (The Shrine of Solomon on Esteria/The Eastern Palace in Hyrule) and so Link and Adol have to travel all over Adol's world to gather the rest of the Triforce pieces. Basically each rift in Hyrule is connected to a dungeon that leads to a spot in Adol's World. So here is a list of what rifts leads to what part of Adol's World. The iteration of Hyrule I am using for this quest idea is kinda a vague composite Hyrule with some ALTTP influences.

• 1st Rift: In the Eastern Palace, this rifts goes to the northern part of the island of Esteria which contains both Ramia Village from YS Book 2 and the Shrine of Solomon. The first Triforce piece can be found there.
  • 2nd Rift: In Kakariko Village, this rift goes to the island of Felghana (YS III - although I would use the Oath in Felghana version of Felghana as a reference point), which contains both Redmont Village, Tigray Quarry, Illburn Ruins and Valestine Castle. Two of the Triforce pieces can be found here.
  • 3rd Rift: In the Lost Woods, this rift goes to the Great Forest of Celceta (In this case I would most likely wing it a little and make this iteration of the Great Forest of Celceta be a composite of it's Dawn of YS and Mask of the Sun versions), which contains the nearby town of Casnan, the ruins of Lefance's ancient kingdom once more buried in the Great forest. A Triforce piece can be found here.
  • 4th Rift: In the Zora's Domain, this rift goes to the Canaan Isle, which contains Rehdan Village, Quatera Woods, Port Rimorage, The Canaan Grasslands, Grana-Vallis Mountain, The Mythos Path ruins, and The Ruined City Kishgal. Three of the Triforce pieces can be found here.
  • 5th Rift: In the Desert of Mystery, this rift goes to southern Altago. which contains the Segram Desert, Segram Village and the Flame Shrine. A Triforce piece can be found here.

Now to discuss the various notes and ideas I have regarding that core gameplay problem I have eluded to earlier.

• I have considered Adol exclusive and Link exclusive paths in dungeons.
  • I have also considered combination moves that the two of them can do, but that is kinda beyond my skill in terms of zscript coding.
  • Item exclusivity? This is one I'm ruminating on.
  • Give Adol his Classic ability (YS Book 1 and 2) to damage enemies by ramming into them off center in addition to sword stabs but making sword slashes exclusive to Link? This is one I consider to have some merit and heck even a a few of the vanilla enemies play right into this idea nicely (Have a Darknut problem? Let Adol ram into the Darknut).
  • There's also the iffy idea I'm considering of bringing in the classic EXP system from YS Book 1 and 2 but how would you balance that in addition to Hearts and Magic Containers? I see this as having the potential to be nightmarishly broken. Although I could impose a Level cap, Like maybe Level 50 or so.
  • And how about the item menu design, let alone allowing equipable armors for both of them? This is getting into some seriously complex territory here.
  • I have also thought about the cool idea of further strengthening the Master sword with ores from each region, each infusion of exotic ore making the Master Sword strong than before. In Adol's world there's
    • Cleria Ore (Esteria)
    • Raval Ore (Felghana)
    • Black and White Emalas (Canaan Isles)
    • Titano Bones (Altago)
  • I have also consider Ganon pulling a bit of necromancy and reviving a few of Adol's past enemies to serve him
  • I swear the more I talk this idea the more madly ambitious it gets

and this is just a few of the quest ideas I have been ruminating on. Feel free to share yours

Edited by FireSeraphim, 09 February 2019 - 10:09 AM.

• Shane and SkyLizardGirl like this

#2 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

I don't think I'll ever make another quest (I've been working on the current one for more than eight years now :P), but I've always wanted to make one focusing on what happened in Kasuto. The whole town's in ruins, completely abandoned except for one old man who refuses to leave for some reason, and who happens to know the most powerful destructive magic in the game? There's definitely a story there.

Also, The Ghosts of Misery Mire. Not quite sure what it's about, but I like the name, and I like the idea of elevating a glitch to a story.
  • Rambly, Nathaniel, FireSeraphim and 5 others like this

#3 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:44 PM

I don't think I'll ever make another quest (I've been working on the current one for more than eight years now :P), but I've always wanted to make one focusing on what happened in Kasuto. The whole town's in ruins, completely abandoned except for one old man who refuses to leave for some reason, and who happens to know the most powerful destructive magic in the game? There's definitely a story there.

Also, The Ghosts of Misery Mire. Not quite sure what it's about, but I like the name, and I like the idea of elevating a glitch to a story.

also...how did people get away? That area is full of monsters and you have to cross the river, the cave, the forest... Maybe the wizard of new Kasuto led the exodus? Or a great hero protect them?

• Rambly likes this

#4 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:37 PM

Here are a couple of concepts I've considered before, and have since then abandoned (feel free to steal these ideas if you feel like it, since I'm not going to use them): 

- A quest based on the horror manga "Uzumaki" by Junji Ito, which I consider to be a masterpiece of the genre. The story revolves around a town plagued by a curse involving the spiral shape. The father of one of the main characters becomes obsessed with spirals, to the point where he becomes insane and eventually breaks his own bones so he can die by twisting his body in a spiral shape. His body is cremated and the smoke coming out of the chimney takes the form of... yes, a spiral. That's just the beginning. From then on, there are spirals, spirals, spirals everywhere. I thought this could be the basis for a pretty trippy quest, and I had gameplay ideas involving spirals, but none of them seemed really feasible in ZC, so I gave up. I've made the (much less ambitious) horror-themed "Red Rabbit" quest instead.

- An action-based quest that would bring Mario elements to Zelda. The overworld would be a map where you have limited movement and get to select the level you want to play next (like in Mario 3 and Mario World). Levels would be short and mainly focused on action, and each of them would have its own theme/gimmick. There would also be hidden secret exits at times, that would allow you to unlock secret areas of the map, like in Mario World. I actually started working on this for a bit, but the stuff I came up with just wasn't all that good, and in the end I lost interest. I still think a quest like this could work, if done right.

• Shane and Soma C. like this

#5 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

Here are a couple of concepts I've considered before, and have since then abandoned (feel free to steal these ideas if you feel like it, since I'm not going to use them): 

- A quest based on the horror manga "Uzumaki" by Junji Ito, which I consider to be a masterpiece of the genre. The story revolves around a town plagued by a curse involving the spiral shape. The father of one of the main characters becomes obsessed with spirals, to the point where he becomes insane and eventually breaks his own bones so he can die by twisting his body in a spiral shape. His body is cremated and the smoke coming out of the chimney takes the form of... yes, a spiral. That's just the beginning. From then on, there are spirals, spirals, spirals everywhere. I thought this could be the basis for a pretty trippy quest, and I had gameplay ideas involving spirals, but none of them seemed really feasible in ZC, so I gave up. I've made the (much less ambitious) horror-themed "Red Rabbit" quest instead.

- An action-based quest that would bring Mario elements to Zelda. The overworld would be a map where you have limited movement and get to select the level you want to play next (like in Mario 3 and Mario World). Levels would be short and mainly focused on action, and each of them would have its own theme/gimmick. There would also be hidden secret exits at times, that would allow you to unlock secret areas of the map, like in Mario World. I actually started working on this for a bit, but the stuff I came up with just wasn't all that good, and in the end I lost interest. I still think a quest like this could work, if done right.

I've thought about the second idea, but I'd wanna come up with a full plan for the map and such. I also would have to figure out scripting to where I could make the map work with only being access certain levels at a time.

I already figured I could use Moosh's Dialogue Branch script for warping to levels.

I have a plethora of ideas. If I have time, I'll write them out later.
  • Shane likes this

#6 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:57 PM

I've also had ideas for new and challenging quests.  A central one is the true hardcore mode where if you die, you die permanently and your save character gets deleted from the main Zelda menu.  You'd have to restart from scratch all over again.  I don't know if its possible for a script to do something like that though.  Obviously the quest would need to be balanced around that huge player disadvantage plus there'd have to be a way for the player to retreat from losing boss battles.

Lose the battle - lose the game.  I like it.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#7 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

Idea i had long ago - A Kid Icarus Game in Zelda maker. 

Instead of Side-view as being the levels constantly.

There are Over-worlds in top down view - but there is still some side-view element when you enter caves or dungeons in some areas yet some the dungeons and caves have top down view also.

I'd also like all the Kid Icarus bosses made and programed in Zelda classic to work just like from the side-view games.

I really want to see this happen. But only if there is somebody interested in taking it up.

Maybe even just a demo.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 09 February 2019 - 10:19 PM.

#8 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:42 AM

I've also had ideas for new and challenging quests.  A central one is the true hardcore mode where if you die, you die permanently and your save character gets deleted from the main Zelda menu.  You'd have to restart from scratch all over again.  I don't know if its possible for a script to do something like that though.  Obviously the quest would need to be balanced around that huge player disadvantage plus there'd have to be a way for the player to retreat from losing boss battles.

Lose the battle - lose the game.  I like it.

I don't think ZScript allows you to actually delete the save slot, but it is totally possible to write a script that, upon death, removes all your equipment and upgrades, then automatically saves your game, so you'll always start back from the beginning.

#9 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

Okay, so I am gonna go through a list of ideas I have. Probably not in as much detail, but I have a lot of ideas.

Idea #1: Harry Potter and the Seven Horcruxes

Alright, so this is an idea I've had for some time. Essentially, it is made the resemble a Zelda game. The overworld would be based on Harry Potter, and have it's certain landmarks that connect to the various "dungeons". What would the dungeons be? Well, the dungeons would be based on the locations where each horcrux was found.

I.E.

Riddle's Diary would be in the Chamber of Secrets dungeon

Hufflepuff's Cup would be in a Gringotts dungeon

So on, and so forth.

Then there would be spells of course. Like Alohomora would be a master key spell.

After acquiring the seven horcruxes, you'd take on a certain dungeon, then be able to challenge Voldemort in a final dungeon.

Idea #2: Zeldavania

This is a much more simple idea. Make a Zelda game in the style of a metroidvania. Where this would go further is the existence of multiple playable characters. The playable characters would be released in packs based on what game they are from.

The base pack would include essential characters such as Link, Zelda, Impa and Ganondorf. A second would include characters who appeared in several games, such as Tingle and Skull Kid. From there, packs would be released based on different games. Like, an Ocarina of Time pack could have Ruto, Darunia or Saria.

The goal would be to explore a metroidvania-esque world which would be at least somewhat tailored to the chosen character.

Each character would also have its own style.

This is something I may start working on on the release of 2.55.

Idea #3: Tales of Licharius

This is an idea based on books that I've written. Though, I have not decided how it would be yet, I have a few ideas in mind. One would be to play through the stories of my books plain and simple. Another would be to choose a new character and create your own journey through the world. Whereas another would have you playing multiple characters and going through various stories.

Idea #4: Power Surge

This idea would be based on a manga-esque story I started writing at one point. You would go through the story I was writing. Control a group of characters who learn they have supernatural abilities, and then get sucked into a virtual world where you have to collect power surge chips.

Chips would be placed in wristbands.

The wristbands have a certain maximum capacity where each chip takes up a certain amount of that capacity. Think of Kingdom Hearts' AP system. Then there would also be special Power Surge chips that can only be placed in their own slots and run on a different capacity.

Idea #5: Resistance Quest

This is an idea I have basically fully laid out. You take control of the five members of The Resistance from Twilight Princess and explore their stories, their backgrounds, etc...  They each have their own specialties and abilities. Ashei is adept at sword fighting, Telma has a sly way of speaking to get different dialogue options with NPCs or discounts with merchants.

You participate in a war between The Resistance and the current rulers of Hyrule.

This idea is already very fleshed out.

Idea #6: Oracle of Secrets

I'm not gonna go into full detail on this. But this is a quest that would use a veiled amulet to move through space, instead of time, allowing you to jump between living world, spirit world and veiled world. It takes place assuming you finished Secrets/Ages first.

Idea #7: Lyrics of the Fallen

For those who played Lyrics of Death DX, you got a tease of this idea. Basically, after beating Ganon, rifts open, and you go on a new adventure. Play Lyrics of Death DX, and get all three endings to get the full teaser.

Idea #8: Prometheus: Ashen Rise

There is already a project page for this, though I haven't started it. This would be the final game in the Prometheus trilogy, which takes a more Spyro-esque approach. Play as multiple characters and explore the different worlds connected to Hades.

Idea #9: Shovel Knight Top Down

Easy enough, a Shovel Knight remake of sorts that focuses on creating the game from a top down, exploration based perspective.

Idea #10: Epic of Enoch

This is a metroidvania idea where you take control of the titular Enoch, and face angels and demons on your way to defeat the Four Horseman tasked with destroying you.

Idea #11: Decision Based Quest

This is a not fleshed out idea, where the main thing I know is that the quest would alter based on decisions you make throughout. I have a few thoughts on what it could be. A horror quest? A Zelda quest where dungeons and villages change depending on order? Maybe we'll see some day.

Idea #12: Murder Mystery Quest

I've always wanted to do this. You would take control of a character looking into a murder, or murders, and explore crime scenes and such. Find clues, and piece everything together.

Then there's a lot of other ideas of works that I'd like put into ZC, these include:

Yu Yu Hakusho

One Piece

Supernatural

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Dark Souls

Kingdom Hearts

A lot of my issues would come with graphics for these ideas, and the fact that I have too many ideas.

• Shane, SkyLizardGirl and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#10 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:53 PM

Jamian - now that I've thought about it more, people can still get around it by making a backup of their zc.sav file so it would never really work.

#11 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:20 PM

Spacecraft Quest: This is something that's been attempted by me multiple times over the years, in different forms. It is possible, even without scripts, to have a quest with both "spaceship" sections where you blast enemies, and "foot" sections where you control Link with very different gear. You could almost think of it a little like Blaster Master except without jumping out of the tank. Ultimately it all plays the same, but offers a *little* more mechanical variety when the ship has very different gear from Link himself. 

I've had tons of other ideas but this is one off the top of my head. 

#12 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:53 PM

Spacecraft Quest: This is something that's been attempted by me multiple times over the years, in different forms. It is possible, even without scripts, to have a quest with both "spaceship" sections where you blast enemies, and "foot" sections where you control Link with very different gear. You could almost think of it a little like Blaster Master except without jumping out of the tank. Ultimately it all plays the same, but offers a *little* more mechanical variety when the ship has very different gear from Link himself. 

I've had tons of other ideas but this is one off the top of my head. 

Lol, that sounds awesome.*    

The Legend Of Zelda  (A Link into Space)

#13 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

Jamian - now that I've thought about it more, people can still get around it by making a backup of their zc.sav file so it would never really work.

I mean, the solution is simple: don't let the player save. If the player dies, they go back to the file select and the game is as if opening up a brand new file cause you never saved.

Of course, this means going through the game in just a single sitting, or leaving the ZC window open when you aren't playing, but it's still a fascinating idea.

#14 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

I mean, the solution is simple: don't let the player save. If the player dies, they go back to the file select and the game is as if opening up a brand new file cause you never saved.

Of course, this means going through the game in just a single sitting, or leaving the ZC window open when you aren't playing, but it's still a fascinating idea.

Idk, .... do you think its possible with the New 2.55 Alpha 12,  ZC?

#15 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

I have seen this idea work for two games that I really like and they both have hardcore modes as well as normal modes.  The only difference between the two is that in the hardcore mode, death is permanent whereas in the normal mode player can respawn if they die.  For both games, the normal mode difficulty isn't very hard but there's the risk of dying every now and then.  First is free and called Wondrous Lands and its one of the top 2018 games see:

https://armorgames.c.../wondrous-lands

The second is Diablo 2 but hardcore mode costs $50.

My verdict is that change goes a very long way to making a game truly hardcore.  When the player knows that they are mortal and that any damage to them can potentially delete their save file of 10+ hours, things change.  Only way I can see something like those two games being replicated is if there's a special mode in ZC 2.55.  I know Gleeok well maybe I can convince him to do something with the potential for Liberation of Hyrule: Lite - a "normal" game that is playable to most but has a Hardcore mode for those wanting a challenge.

Edited by James24, 11 February 2019 - 09:47 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zeldaclassic, Quest Concepts, Zelda Classic, Quest ideas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users