I need help with this...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

How to make an action from one screen get triggered from an action from another screen?

Do you need a script? If you know a script that will do that then can you show me it?

Edited by Kivitoe, 29 July 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#2 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

Go to screen-> screen data->S.Data 1. There you will choose the map and screen you want the secret to be triggered.

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

The term for this--something to remember--is a 'carry over secret'. You'll need to tick the boxes next to the event that you want to carry from one screen, to another screen. You'll see those, on the right side of the S.Data pane.

You can also do this with scripts, which is important, if you want more control. A Secrets carry-over will trigger Screen->Secrets() on another screen. I do not recall if it will care about the trigger types, or the Secret number, or secret type. I believe that it will trigger all secrets, on the destination screen.

With scripts, you can read from the array Screen->D[] for any screen, and any map in a game, and use those registers to trigger an event elsewhere; or you could have a script set a global variable (or the index of a global array), and test for that condition with an if statement.

#4 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

Wait, if i get you right I have to tick the boxes for events to carry over? Always thouht the boxes are for disabeling certain carry-overs (what would explain why carry over didnt work for me so far)

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

Wait, if i get you right I have to tick the boxes for events to carry over? Always thouht the boxes are for disabeling certain carry-overs (what would explain why carry over didnt work for me so far)

I explained that improperly:

Once you set a screen, and DMap, in the Carryover options on S.Data 1, all of them will carry over. You need to tick the boxes to control what carries over, by deselecting events that you do not wish to carry over. The other box, 'No Reset' are events that will not reset on the present screen, if the player touches a Reset Room Combo.

You use Reset Room combos to re-set puzzles, and anything that you set as 'No Reset' will be untouched by a reset. That can, in theory, make solving multi-tiered puzzles less burdensome, except that neither of these things allows you to manually select secrets by type.

Here's an Example Quest for you. The lock block is set, not to carry over, while the tree (a sword trigger secret), does carry over to the screen to the right. I placed a Reset Combo on both screens. One is set to excludethe Lock Block, while the other (on screen 01) has no exclusions.

What you may be doing, that is keeping it from working, is using DMap refs, and not absolute Map refs. Carryovers use Map Numbers, not DMap numbers. That's why the default is 'Map 0', as that is not a user-space. (There is no 'Map 0' that you can modify.)

--
I think that the UI is counter-intuitive at times, and could be improved in a future 2.5x build. I would prefer selecting the events to carry over, with an on/off toggle, and separate the reset options from the panel, so that it's more clear what you are doing.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 14 August 2015 - 10:06 AM.

• Naru likes this

#6 ChrisHunter64

ChrisHunter64

average everyday normal guy

• Members

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:50 AM

Does this carryover for enemies>secret aswell? Like can i kill an enemy in one room to activate secret tiles in another room?

#7 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:40 AM

Does this carryover for enemies>secret aswell? Like can i kill an enemy in one room to activate secret tiles in another room?

It does, yes

• ChrisHunter64 likes this

#8 ChrisHunter64

ChrisHunter64

• Members

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:42 AM

Thats awesome. Really a gamechanger. Before this i felt kinda limited however now i can basicly make anything trigger anything. Gotta figure out how to use this creatively now. Possibly changing things in towns and what not.

#9 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

Sure beats the old boss room hack, huh? :lol:

#10 ChrisHunter64

ChrisHunter64

• Members

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:58 AM

Does this also work in a nes dungeon dmap? I attempted to use this trick in a dungeon but i cant seem to get it to work

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:05 AM

Does this also work in a nes dungeon dmap? I attempted to use this trick in a dungeon but i cant seem to get it to work

Pretty sure NES dungeons have hard-coded temporary secrets so that might be causing issues? Is it working with other dmap types?

#12 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:08 AM

Pretty sure NES dungeons have hard-coded temporary secrets so that might be causing issues? Is it working with other dmap types?

Yeah, NES dungeon secrets are ALWAYS temporary. Try 'Screen Data -> Treat Screen as Interior'. Unsure if needed on the source or dest screen, or maybe both.

#13 ChrisHunter64

ChrisHunter64

• Members

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:06 PM

Oh sweet i keep forgetting that that option is a thing. Thanks for the workaround. Ill try both figure it wont hurt anything considering theres no nes door on either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users