• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:30 AM

TBH my issue with Rainbow Rocket is the likelyhoodof one leader backstabbing the other.

Giovanni, Archie, and Maxie I could see getting along and working together just fine, but Ghetsis just seems like a ticking time bomb of "AHA! IT WAS PART OF MY EVIL PLAN ALL ALONG!"

And Lysandre is just an active liability. At least Ghetsis is a good public speaker, Lysandre adds nothing to the table.

#62 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:56 AM

Finished the main story. I'll keep this fairly spoiler-free. Overall, the game is charming yet fairly inoffensive. Gameplay wise it sorta just hands you a huge amount of tools to shatter the difficulty with if you want to, and even encourages it in some ways. However, there is one particular boss towards the endish of the game that will likely catch you off guard. It's nothing ridiculous, but it's notably harder than anything else in the game and there's a pokemon you're given as a prize right after without any opportunity to save between claiming it and the boss (meaning you have to fight the boss each soft reset attempt), but this is only really an issue if you want that particular mon for competitive play. Most of the clunkiness of SuMo is gone, but you're still railroaded pretty heavily, although not to the degree of Gen 6. The alternate story is quite nice, and while I think they could have expanded on a couple of the things they teased before release, the changes in character development are a lot more interesting than I initially anticipated. They didn't completely save my opinion of some of the characters, but I appreciate they made the effort to try. If you absolutely hated Sun / Moon, you probably won't like this. If you were neutral on it or enjoyed it, you'll probably like this a lot.

I'll write another post when I finish the postgame, but it looks incredibly promising.

If you're a competitive player, the changes in this game are looking very promising for both Smogon and Nintendo Official formats, so I'm really looking forward to teambuilding and playing online.

#63 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:20 PM

That sounds about right about what i expected from this game. This generation as whole was really, really disappointing. It's already near the bottom of my list for my favorite generations, along with Gen 1 and Gen 5.

Edited by Norzan, 23 November 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#64 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

I played all gens but 6.

1, 3 and 7 are my faves.

#65 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

Postgame is great. That is all.

(Also holy fuck a Timid 31/x/30/31/31/31 Tapu Koko w/ Hidden Power Ice first try!)

• Binx likes this

#66 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:44 AM

So since I seem to have lost my copy of Moon should I buy another copy or get Ultra Moon?

Edited by Cukeman, 24 July 2018 - 05:44 AM.

#67 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

Get UM. It's improved over Moon in every way. Well, Lusamine got the short end of the stick, actually. But the rest of the game is a huge step up.

Edited by Binx, 24 July 2018 - 11:22 AM.

• Cukeman likes this

#68 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:40 AM

I honestly prefer Moon. While Ultra added some cool features, it did so at expense of the story, which now is lacking in the depth and character development it had before. Lusamine gets shafted, Lillie's characterization gets cut, and the entire subplot about Looker, Nanu, and Annabelle got removed entirely.
  • Adem and Cukeman like this

#69 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

Yeah, but Mantine Surfing and Ultra Wormholes. I do agree about Lusamine getting screwed over (seriously, why did they take one of the best villains in the entire series and make her not a bad person?), but I don't think Lillie's development suffered, at all, and I personally didn't much care for the Looker postgame stuff. It felt more grindy, and the additions to the story felt completely superfluous. Why was Anabel even there? It felt like a totally shoehorned-in story to highlight a random character from Emerald. At least their cameo in US/UM is limited to them being on vacation, which makes *way* more sense than them being sent on a mission and arriving in Alola so soon after the UBs appeared. I think Rainbow Rocket was a great subplot, if for no other reason than that it is an incredible tribute for Pokémon's 20th anniversary. From a story perspective, TRR isn't that special, but its role in the game, from a meta point of view, is indispensable. And Nanu gets *way* more development in US/UM.

• Cukeman and Evan20000 like this

#70 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

I'm with Russ. UltraMoon had some cool new features, but it felt like something was missing. Save yourself the extra $10 or whatever the price difference is now.

#71 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

If you have even a passing interest in PVP play, get Ultra. So many QoL features, it's not even funny.
  • Binx likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users