Photo

Team Fortress 2

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#16 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

I used to play TF2 a lot, but left when hats started.

#17 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Mar 22 2012, 01:22 AM) View Post

That's a really dumb reason to quit, almost as bad as someone saying "I left soon as it went free to play"...

QUOTE(Alison @ Mar 19 2012, 08:19 PM) View Post

Teen Fortress is a pretty fun Video Game. Here are some tips! icon_biggrin.gif
  • if your on fire, junp into the water
  • dont shoot yourself with rockets!
  • stand in front of the payload cart and it pushes you xd
Anyway my favorite class is Spy, though I'm probably best as Pyro. I like playing Demoman and Medic a lot too, though I play as everyone once in a while. As for loadouts:
  • Pyro: Degreaser, Reserve Shooter, Strange Axtinguisher
  • Spy: Strange Knife, Ambassador, normal Watch
  • Demoman: Loch N' Load, HHHH, Splendid Screen
  • Sniper: Huntsman, Jarate, Bushwacka
  • Soldier: Strange Black Box (named Squarepusher)<3, Gunboats, Equalizer
  • Engineer: Frontier Justice, Jag, Pistol
  • Heavy: Minigun, Sandvich, GRU
  • Medic: Quick Fix (superior in every way deal with it), Blutsuager, Ubersaw
  • Scout: dunno don't care
the people i play with already mentioned they play with me or whatever and shared All The Good Times © and stuff so yeah~

anyway my steam name is [SDExaEels&!G] Yargzz if ya wanna add me or whatever

wow!

I honestly lol'd at this entire post.

Edited by Zemious, 22 March 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#18 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Mar 21 2012, 10:22 PM) View Post

Hats are the most important part of TF2

#19 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Clearly Giggidy is just poor and irish

Also, updating my loadout s*** in my previous post.

#20 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Mar 22 2012, 03:22 PM) View Post
Good man, you left before the morons started spending money on cosmetics, COSMETICS!

Why do people pay for cosmetic DLC? D: (I can understand paying for a HD graphic pack for a game but paying for costumes/hats that have no impact on gameplay? really??!?)

Edited by franpa, 22 March 2012 - 11:12 PM.

#21 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

Well, I didn't leave immediately when the hats started, and hats aren't even the core reason why I left. When I started playing there was a strong, consistent gaming experience, very carefully put together with no extraneous elements over 9 years. Now, stuff like the Crit-a-Cola (and probably a whole crapload of newer stuff I don't know about) get thrown into the game with literally less than a day's consideration or testing. The robust game that I liked so much was getting diluted into a total mess. Hats and paint and shoes or whatever else they've tossed into the blender is just a surface symptom of a deeper underlying problem.

#22 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm okay with it, though, because to me, it's nice to have something to work for. Yes, I had to buy something in the store to stop being F2P, but hey, you had to buy the actual game itself, so I think at that point, it's fair. While yes, I think that some items they add are completely overpowered (I'm looking at you, Phlogadgkl;ajdlkgajitaor (needs an easier name) and Cozy Camper), it's nice to have some variety rather than have to use the same items all the time. And let's be honest- who actually uses the Fire Axe or the Shovel? There were definite flaws with the vanilla loadouts too, and that was called having weapons that are entirely useless. At least with new weapons coming out, it keeps the game fresh and fixes mistakes they've made. This golden age of TF2 you talk about wasn't perfect either.

Still though, not everything I've gotten is through the store- I use random drops to craft most of my metal, and that metal is used to get a few weapons and hats that I'm happy with. My situation is that I probably couldn't see myself playing the same game for 9 years because there's only so much you can do in TF2, and having the cosmetics is a nice way to keep me playing- hell, sometimes they do make me do better because I've worked at something to get it and it makes me feel awesome and more confident in my abilities.

Also yes having the Special Delivery Set totally means I only care about cosmetics rather than the Scout having 150 health icon_rolleyes.gif

#23 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Mar 23 2012, 08:58 AM) View Post
(I'm looking at you, Phlogadgkl;ajdlkgajitaor (needs an easier name) and Cozy Camper),

>Phlogistinator
>Overpowered
Pick one. That weapon is straight up terrible, no amount of crits in the world could make me want to play Pyro without an airblast option.

#24 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

The fact of the matter is that it's rewarding idiots who don't know how to airblast in the first place. I can't tell you how many times I've died because of a n00b pyro who doesn't extinguish me while he's doing NOTHING. And seriously? The invincibility taunt it gets heals the pyro and makes everything do about 1 damage to him while he's healing. It doesn't take long to fill the mmmph bar either. You don't have to think it's OP, but I certainly think it is. And a smart pyro (not that there's many of those) know that they're a class designed to ambush people, so they fight in close, narrow quarters rather than running around in open places all the time.

#25 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

The taunting thing doesn't even bother me, because you can get away from him in that time. Since he doesn't have airblast, he's basically destroyed by soldiers and demos (he's coming straight at you, lining up pipes is easy-peasy), Heavy can just back up and shoot him once he comes out of taunt, everything else is just as fast as him and can get away while putting damage on. The Pyro has so much damage output (Axtinguisher, Flare Gun, etc.) that it's pretty repetitive for him to get guaranteed crits, especially at the cost of the only thing allowing him to keep up with soldiers/demos, pretty common classes.

I mean, it's not a useless weapon I suppose, but it's pretty easy to counter. Even non-Phlogistinator Pyros can just airblast you away, wasting your crit time.

#26 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Mar 23 2012, 08:39 PM) View Post
And a smart pyro (not that there's many of those) know that they're a class designed to ambush people, so they fight in close, narrow quarters rather than running around in open places all the time.

Except literally every other class in the entire game does higher DPS in close quarters with their primary weapon than the Pyro. Even a ninjaneer'd mini-sentry does more effective damage than the Pyro. How can you be an ambush class that, literally, cannot ambush?

#27 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Mar 23 2012, 09:29 PM) View Post

>Phlogistinator
>Overpowered
Pick one. That weapon is straight up terrible, no amount of crits in the world could make me want to play Pyro without an airblast option.

The Pyro shouldn't need to really use his airblast to extinguish you anymore now that the Manmelter exists. It actually begs to be used for extinguishing a player to get crits.
It's such a great side weapon for the pyro that it can be broken. If you have another pyro with a Detonator shoot the ground, it'll momentarily set him afire allowing you to not only gain the critical hits from it per shot, but also one point to your score.

#28 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE(Zemious @ Mar 25 2012, 11:17 PM) View Post

The Pyro shouldn't need to really use his airblast to extinguish you anymore now that the Manmelter exists. It actually begs to be used for extinguishing a player to get crits.
It's such a great side weapon for the pyro that it can be broken. If you have another pyro with a Detonator shoot the ground, it'll momentarily set him afire allowing you to not only gain the critical hits from it per shot, but also one point to your score.

The Manmelter is fine, but extinguishing is really the last reason I like the airblast.

#29 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

I think the problem with a lot of the new items is that they take out the concept of teamwork. Either that, or they're just broken.

The biggest problem is that Valve tried to balance the game with unlocks. That was a miserable failure. Now unlocks are the rule instead of the exception.

These are items that should be nerfed:
- Jarate (alternately, buff the SMG)
- Degreaser (quick weapon switch is a bad idea- scrap design entirely)
- Axtinguisher
- Spycicle
- Enforcer
- Gunslinger (Mini-sentry starts with 0 HP and has 40 HP)
- Pomson
- Equalizer
- Tomislav
- Ubersaw (change to +20% uber on kill)
- Huntsman taunt
- Vanilla Demoman

Things to buff:
- Vanilla Engineer
- Vanilla Pyro
- Vanilla Heavy
- Vanilla Spy
- Vanilla Sniper

Even as an ex-F2P, I'm starting to get annoyed at all the unlocks. I've been doing a lot more vanilla Pyro lately (with minimal airblasting) and while it is less effective, it's much more fun.

These days, I only really go for new items for funsies or using an alternative playstyle. If I actually want to be effective, I play vanilla (especially for Scout).

@Prospekt: with the exception of the knife, melee weapons weren't supposed to be good. They're there for humiliation kills.

@Giggidy: The game wasn't nearly as balanced as you thought it was. There's a reason why most non-highlander teams consist of 1 Medic, 1 Demoman, 2 Scouts, and 2 Soldiers. The other 5 classes are mostly situational and just aren't up to par with the rest. Sure, it's better than TFC, where Medics were the main offensive class, but it isn't quite there.

My friend actually has a plan for a balanced version of vanilla TF2.
General:
• Random critical hits removed.
• Damage spread removed.
• No loadout. Default weapons only.
• Control points no longer rollback capture on their own. Instead, the defending team must secure it. For each defender standing on a point, the enemy capture will rollback at a generous rate.
• The standard game for which TFP is balanced is 7v7 where each team has one medic and up to two of other classes.

CLASSES:

Scout
125 Health
400v Speed
+1 Capture Rate
Double Jump
1: Scattergun (6/32)
2: Pistol (12/36)
> Firing spread reduced by 30%.
3: Bat

Soldier
200 Health
240v Speed
1: Rocket Launcher (4/20)
> Deals critical hits on airshots.
2: Shotgun (6/32)
3: Shovel

Pyro
175 Health
320v Speed
Fire retardant
1: Flamethrower (200)
> Deals 8 damage per particle. Fires 22.5 particles per second. Particles do not suffer from fall-off or ramp-up.
> Firing spread reduced by 30%. Particle speed increased by 100%. Range increased by 30%.
> Particles have a strong knockback effect. The knockback decays over lifespan. The knockback effects the pyro, even on the ground. While firing, the pyro will be pushed back in the direction he is firing, decreasing movement speed while moving forward by about 25% and increasing movement speed while moving backward by about 25%. Should move at about the same speed while moving sideways. The knockback will not push the pyro back while standing still.
> Inflicts afterburn. Afterburn deals 4 damage per tick, and ticks twice per second. Dealing 80 fire damage to a target lit on fire already with this weapon causes the effect to do critical damage, dealing 12 damage per tick instead. While taking critical afterburn damage, the target no longer receives hit indications, has a dulled sense of sound, and the screen is more obscured by the flames. Dealing the 80 damage must happen in less than 1 second, and the current fire damage tally rolls back to reflect his.
> Destroys sticky bombs and rolling grenades.
2: SMG (25/125)
3: Fire Axe

Demoman
175 Health
280v Speed
1: Grenade Launcher (6/18)
> Deals critical hits on airshots.
> Base damage is 90. Direct hit damage does not fluctuate. Blast damage unaffected.
2: Sticky Bomb Launcher (8/24)
> Bomb arm time increased to 1 second.
> Sticky bombs are not destroyed by bullets and are not knocked back by explosives.
3: Bottle

Heavy
300 Health
260v
+1 Secure Rate
1: Minigun (200)
> Firing spread reduced by 60%.
> Spin time increased to 1 second.
> Does not need to be spun down to switch weapons.
> Movement speed while spun up is reduced to 180v.
> Noise reduced slightly.
2: Shotgun
3: Fists

Engineer
175 Health
300v Speed
Can build sentry guns, dispensers, and teleporters. Buildings can be thrown instead of placed normally. The building will build where it lands unless it lands in a no build zone. Hitting an enemy with the toolbox deals 65 damage and some knockback.
Instant Teleport (Alt Fire)
1: Shotgun
2: Pistol
3: Wrench
4: Engineering PDA
> No upgrades.
> Buildings are solid to allies.
> Buildings hit with your wrench or built while übercharged also are invulnerable.
Sentry Gun
> Builds in 6 seconds as a level 2 sentry.
> 150 health.
> Turns 3x faster.
> Knockback significantly reduced.
> No longer beeps.
Dispenser
> Builds in 4 seconds.
> Has 66% resistance to all damage.
> Starts build with full health.
> Heals 48 HPS. Healing range extended.
> Bumping into dispenser will grant fully stocked metal and ammo. No longer bothers with stockpiling ammo.
Teleporter
> Builds instantly for 25 metal.
> Has 50 health.
> Builds up to 10 teleporters.
> When you instant teleport, you teleport to teleporter 0 (2 0).
> 2 0 leads to 2 1 which leads to 2 2 and so on until 2 9 which leads back to 2 0.
> These teleporters have no recharge time. They will not teleport moving allies. There is an alterable teleporter delay set to 0.5 seconds by default.
> Particle effect removed.

Medic
150 Health
320v Speed
When Übercharge is full, Alt Fire will turn the medic and any one he is healing invincible and immune to knockback. The medic will match the scout's speed if healing a scout during Übercharge. If healing an engineer, the engineer will translate the effect to buildings he hits with the wrench.
Regenerates 6/12 HPS
1: Needlegun
2: Medigun
3: Bonesaw

Sniper
150 Health
300v Speed
1: Sniper Rifle
> Headshot delay reduced to 20 ms.
> Charge rate is 50% per second.
> Charge delay removed.
> Zoom distance can be changed. Keys can be bound to change them. By default, there is a key that will toggle the zoom from standard to none.
> Speed while scoped is 200v.
2: SMG
3: Kukri

Spy
175 Health
300v Speed
Wall Jump
Can disguise as other players. A quick disguise key can be bound to disguise as a random enemy or ally.
1: Revolver
> Firing spread reduced by 60%.
2: Sapper
> Can be dropped. It destroys sticky bombs, health kits, and ammo kits nearby it.
3: Knife
> Has a swing time.
> If fired in the raised position, a backstab is guaranteed as long as the knife hits.
4: Invisibility Watch
> Cloak volume reduced.
> Cloak lasts 30 seconds and fully recharges in 30 seconds.
> Blink time increased to 1 second.
> Cloak no longer recharges with metal pickups.

He buffed the Engineer. Hard.

#30 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

I really don't think melee weapons are solely there for humiliation- the bat is an insanely good weapon and I've gotten so many kills off of it from unsuspecting victims- it can be a lot more accurate than the scattergun sometimes, too. The medic's bonesaw (along with its insanely high crit rate) is also a really good weapon, much better than the syringe gun, that's for sure- but you can't make the medic much of a combat class either, otherwise everyone would just play it and be done with everything else.

I honestly basically disagree with... your entire post. I really have to especially disagree on the subject of Degreaser and the Equalizer- both are honestly really well balanced- the Degreaser makes it more difficult to kill someone solely using the flamethrower (because the backburner and an unsuspecting victim makes for a quick kill) and the weapon switch is fantastic for the shotgun or Axtinguisher, and the Equalizer sucks unless you're low on health, and medics can't heal you if you're equipped with it anyway. The Enforcer is fair because that extra time it takes to cloak makes you a lot easier to be found and the Spy dies pretty quickly once you know where he is, the Spycicle can leave the Spy without his best weapon and plus his victims warn you that there is a spy in the area (really, no one pays attention to the kill list unless you're the one killing) plus the pyro can keep using his flamethrower to check for him because it still has range, and the Huntsman taunt is really for humiliation when you lose if you ask me, because it's managed to score me one victim while I couldn't use my weapons and only once. I suppose you'll complain about the Pyro's hadoken too, because I get plenty of unsuspecting snipers with that beauty of a taunt. Or maybe the Holiday Punch because it allows the Heavy to effectively backstab people by punching them from behind and then taunting at them.

The only thing I agree with is the part about nerfing vanilla demoman. For the love of crepes, the Scottish Resistance was how the Sticky Launcher should have been in the first place, because it's crazy powerful and most demos have that annoying tendency to put all 8 stickies around one of your spawn exits (usually the one everyone uses) before the match begins and there's NOTHING you can do about it.

> Sticky bombs are not destroyed by bullets and are not knocked back by explosives.

...are you f***ing joking? Seriously? We're talking about NERFING the demo, not making him INVINCIBLE. Your friend has some really stupid ideas, I'll be honest. Engineer doesn't need 175 health, and neither does the Spy for that matter- the Spy should not be a class that can directly take on other classes especially because the revolver is a damn good weapon already. It should be about being careful and knowing that there's a big risk for having an insta-kill weapon. You talk about wanting the pyro to be better, but your friend doesn't want him able to kill anyone at this rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users