Photo

2.50 Tutorial Editor For Starters Help Guide

2.50 Tutorial Editor Help Guide Trouble Shooting Custom Tile Sets Starter Guide & Advanced Beginner Guide Custom Enemies & Bosses Start To Finish

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ALinkToThePast1992Canada

ALinkToThePast1992Canada

Link Is Linked To His Past

• Members

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:07 AM

I would like to start this post off by saying hello to all, I'm a first time member of this Website & forum. I've downloaded games on here before, this is one of the best places for custom ZC games in my opinion.

Anyway, this post is more for asking questions - Specifically questions about an updated Z-Quest tutorial guide for beginners using custom tile & advanced techniques. I noticed after weeks of research & looking through all the forums & topics that a lot of stuff is outdated, pics & web links no longer work. There's not a whole lot of "Start To Finish" tutorial guides for Z-Quest's 2.50 Game Editor, such as using custom tile sets or advanced stuff like layering or custom puzzles, getting the doors to open & close with flags/secret combos, creating a custom menu/sub screen, importing & editing scripts, as well as creating script. Over Under Bridges & Combos, making custom sub maps & special effects, custom bosses & enemies & etc.

My goal is to either create or help create a written and/or video tutorial guide for the 2.50 and/or any updated Z-Quest editor version that exists to help new people such as myself from start to finish. From basic steps to more advanced stuff when creating your games, levels, puzzles, dungeons etc.

I have never created a walk through before on any game editors or a video tutorial for such things but i want to do so cause i've noticed there isn't much of a helpful guide on Z-quest 2.50. Most of the video tutorials i've seen are of the 2.10 editor, which i have used well over 10 years ago but all those were using the NES tile sets. The old 2.50 written guide I've seen for 2.50 also uses the NES tile set & no custom tiles. I know from experience that things change when using a custom tile set such as Link's Awakening tile set when it comes to using flags, secret combos, getting the doors to work, layers etc.

If anyone is well experienced in how to do something like this from a starting point and would be willing to help out or give out any advice or trouble shooting any problems I or others may run into, please feel free to message on this post & hopefully we can put together a somewhat easy to follow guide for people (like myself who struggle with the editor, especially 2.50 lol) - & as i stated i am new to being a member on here & so i do not know how things work on this site or certain terminology & trouble shooting but i am enthusiastic to learn new things and try to make something for those who have a hard time figuring out the program.

Anyway, i thank all of you for your time. I hope to hear from anyone interested that has the knowledge and know how to make this a possibility. It could take a very long time before this is a reality but I am willing to put in the time & energy to figure things out, with assistance of course lol.

Have a great day everyone, let me know if you're interested and we'll see where it goes from there.

#2 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:46 AM

Hello!

The old 2.50 written guide I've seen for 2.50 also uses the NES tile set & no custom tiles. I know from experience that things change when using a custom tile set such as Link's Awakening tile set when it comes to using flags, secret combos, getting the doors to work, layers etc.

Actually, using a different tileset should have no influence on how any of that works. The combos will just be in different places, and some of them may have different inherent flags, etc. but the mechanisms are the same.

If you really want to get a guide started, I would actually recommend to write one for 2.55. It is still in alpha, but is meant to eventually replace 2.50, like 2.50 did with 2.10. It will mean more work and will require updates as the program itself is updated, but would eventually be more useful for the community.

Edited by Jamian, 10 April 2021 - 10:47 AM.

#3 ALinkToThePast1992Canada

ALinkToThePast1992Canada

• Members

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:12 PM

Hey

Edited by ALinkToThePast1992Canada, 10 April 2021 - 01:57 PM.

#4 ALinkToThePast1992Canada

ALinkToThePast1992Canada

• Members

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:57 PM

Hello!

Actually, using a different tileset should have no influence on how any of that works. The combos will just be in different places, and some of them may have different inherent flags, etc. but the mechanisms are the same.

If you really want to get a guide started, I would actually recommend to write one for 2.55. It is still in alpha, but is meant to eventually replace 2.50, like 2.50 did with 2.10. It will mean more work and will require updates as the program itself is updated, but would eventually be more useful for the community.

Hey,  Thanks for the response. It's been a while since I've fully used the editor, i was way more familiar with 2.10 than 2.50, but i remember one issue i was having was whenever i had to manually place the doors on the walls, i could never get them to open or close like they should on custom tiles - on NES tiles, the doors, walls, etc were pre programmed where you just clicked on DOORS & set it up there, but with the custom tiles it never worked. That was one issue i was having, unless that was patched in this new 2.55 one you mentioned.

Also, i have an older computer at the moment, the newest Z-Quest editor i downloaded won't boot up on my end for some reason, but the 2.53 version still works, so i can mess with that, if the two editors still are alike in most ways. I'm still fiddling around with it, it's been some years since i last used a 2.5 editor

Also, there are certain things i never learned back than when using the program, like Scripts for example, but that can be discuss later.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2.50 Tutorial Editor, Help Guide, Trouble Shooting, Custom Tile Sets, Starter Guide & Advanced, Beginner Guide, Custom Enemies & Bosses, Start To Finish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users