Building a new PC. Help me not mess it up! GAIDEN

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:47 PM

I'm finally building a new PC after about a decade of using my old one, and using a low end laptop. My budget is around 2k, but I'd like to stay under that. So far, this is what I'm thinking:

Case: COUGAR Panzer Evo / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh / NZXT H710i (Leaning towards the Cougar.)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (Considering waiting fot the Zen 3 line, but idk)

GPU: Waiting for the RTX 3070, but was looking at the RTX 2070

Mobo: ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus ATX

HSF: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 (Do I even need this, if I go with the cases that have fans built in, and don't over clock? I've heard AMD's stock fans are pretty good.)

RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (Might be overkill, but I don't want to upgrade for a while.)

Still not sure on what hard drives to go with, or which PSU to go with. I want a modular one, probably about 800W, Gold certified. I'm good on speakers, KB, and monitors.

EDIT: Switched RAM to Nicholas' suggestion.

• Magi_Hero and Matthew like this

#2 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:55 PM

The 3070 GPU should be a notable upgrade over the 2070, especially when it comes to Ray Tracing performance. Nvidia's own benchmarks (take them with a pinch of salt) imply the 3070 is better than the 2080Ti in every way when it comes to performance.

AMD's Zen 3 series of desktop CPU's will have 8 cores per CCX, making them more directly comparable to Intel's 8 core CPU's. May need to get a shop to update the motherboard UEFI/BIOS for you before you can use an upcoming CPU.

For RAM, the G.Skill Trident Neo series is specifically optimized for AMD Ryzen systems (a lot of RAM is optimized for Intel systems). I bought this RAM for use with my 3700X: https://www.newegg.c...N82E16820232859

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 14 September 2020 - 08:02 PM.

• ShadowTiger and Anthus like this

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:03 AM

Here is an update on my build. I will probably be getting a second 1TB SSD as well. Thoughts?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zMLzb8

#4 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:45 AM

I personally would only get, at most, 1TB SSD. Then, I'd use a large HDD to store older media. This is just me being frugal, but the way I look at it is, it's a lot more efficient to store old stuff that I don't interact with on a cheaper HDD than get another whole SSD.

• Anthus likes this

#5 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

Another thing to consider: https://videocardz.c...d-rtx-3080-20gb

16GB and 20GB models of the Geforce 3070 and 3080 are seemingly planned to be released sometime after AMD releases their new graphics cards. DOOM Eternal already needs more than 8GB's of VRAM if you want to play with the highest quality textures at 4k resolution.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 18 September 2020 - 10:55 AM.

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 03 October 2020 - 07:13 AM

I personally would only get, at most, 1TB SSD. Then, I'd use a large HDD to store older media. This is just me being frugal, but the way I look at it is, it's a lot more efficient to store old stuff that I don't interact with on a cheaper HDD than get another whole SSD.

2TB to 4TB SSD is a better long-term option, IMO. The failure rate is extremely low, and when comparing the cost versus an enterprise rating HDD, the difference is not enough to warrant using a mechanical HDD. You do not need top of the line (I use Samsung EVO 860 PRO drives), but a moderate SSD is far faster, and less prone to issues later down the pipe. 

If you buy mechanical HDDs, only buy Enterprise rated drives. 

Be sure that you have both a 1024 pixel line monitor and a 4K monitor. 

#7 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:49 PM

If you buy mechanical HDDs, only buy Enterprise rated drives.

Also be aware of, and avoid, Shingled HDD's (will likely need to see reviews to figure it out).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 03 October 2020 - 11:49 PM.

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:45 PM

It's been a few months, and I was hoping by now I'd be able to get an RTX 2070 (or 2070S) but they are still sold out, or being sold for extremely inflated prices. Does anyone have any suggestions for a comparable card?

This is my current build I'm looking at: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZCNLnL

It's mostly the same, but I picked a different case, and dropped the after market CPU cooler, and out of stock RTX card. Reason being I have a friend who has the same case, and CPU, and he doesn't use one and it's been fine. He also does a lot more high end gaming than I do, so I think I'll be okay without one for now at least.

What I'm really wondering is, does anyone have any suggestions for a comparable GPU?

• Magi_Hero likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users