So Much To See, So Much To Do

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 27 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

This latest demo was developed in 2.55 Alpha 79, make sure to have that build or later.

After a long time, at last all the main areas exist! Get a glimpse at the sheer scope of this world. 52 total areas, half being overworld, the other underworld. With the warp randomizer, that is 80 connections to shuffle.

Of course, just because the areas exist does not mean I'm finished. The final area ends early with a placeholder boss and "ending", both to supply a goal, but also to demonstrate what is required to complete a playthrough. I am going to be making a second pass, revising and adding to existing areas. Mostly to have enough item locations...

There is no longer a difference between playing with or without the warp randomizer, you will have access to 483 locations. There are now 230 different weapons to find and try out, with plans on more to come.

A big new feature are spoiler logs. You can find these under randomizer options. Spoiler logs are saved under the files folder in ZC. These give out both item totals and item locations of a seed.

I also added a skippable tutorial on character mechanics, so you don't have to pick a character blindly. If you use the F6 Continue trick to change the seed without resetting the other options, this tutorial will remain skipped.

There have been a lot of other changes and new improvements, though most are related to NewGame+ content (more on that below).

With my focus on area development now only being expansions / refinements, I should be able to focus on mechanics that are incomplete. Bosses clearly need to see more development. I have also been working on a newer version of the weapon header that not only will make a lot of stuff more efficient, but also improve item randomizer logic... so I can then develop and refine said logic.

Some suggestions are still planned. I want to look into fancy minimaps, but probably late into the second pass of areas. I also will look into ways to describe the passive abilities of NewGame+. I am thinking about having a Warp Randomizer option that adds intentional void areas to the warp destinations. Think of them like finding a 3 stair warp cave, except they connect entirely different areas.

Anyway, about NewGame+.

Spoiler

Despite how long this version took, I might have another one pretty quickly. At minimum, I need to expand and refine 5 areas, and create two more weapons to have a full set of 10 weapons to add. Any other quality of life updates, improvements, and implemented suggestions made alongside those would also be added.

The offer to post any random characters you liked (character code, viewed from a book in your house, helps along with screenshots) and have it submitted to a database of player favorite characters is still open. Plus, I'm willing to make small adjustments to said characters if it would make them more interesting... including passive abilities normally limited to pre-built characters.

Also, don't hesitate to post screenshots of hilarity from the palette randomizer and weapon shuffle.

As usual, have fun, and be safe!
  • Twilight Knight and Lordkronos like this

#2 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:05 PM

This latest demo was developed in 2.55 Alpha 79, make sure to have that build or later.

After a long time, at last all the main areas exist! Get a glimpse at the sheer scope of this world. 52 total areas, half being overworld, the other underworld. With the warp randomizer, that is 80 connections to shuffle.

Of course, just because the areas exist does not mean I'm finished. The final area ends early with a placeholder boss and "ending", both to supply a goal, but also to demonstrate what is required to complete a playthrough. I am going to be making a second pass, revising and adding to existing areas. Mostly to have enough item locations...

There is no longer a difference between playing with or without the warp randomizer, you will have access to 483 locations. There are now 230 different weapons to find and try out, with plans on more to come.

A big new feature are spoiler logs. You can find these under randomizer options. Spoiler logs are saved under the files folder in ZC. These give out both item totals and item locations of a seed.

I also added a skippable tutorial on character mechanics, so you don't have to pick a character blindly. If you use the F6 Continue trick to change the seed without resetting the other options, this tutorial will remain skipped.

There have been a lot of other changes and new improvements, though most are related to NewGame+ content (more on that below).

With my focus on area development now only being expansions / refinements, I should be able to focus on mechanics that are incomplete. Bosses clearly need to see more development. I have also been working on a newer version of the weapon header that not only will make a lot of stuff more efficient, but also improve item randomizer logic... so I can then develop and refine said logic.

Some suggestions are still planned. I want to look into fancy minimaps, but probably late into the second pass of areas. I also will look into ways to describe the passive abilities of NewGame+. I am thinking about having a Warp Randomizer option that adds intentional void areas to the warp destinations. Think of them like finding a 3 stair warp cave, except they connect entirely different areas.

Anyway, about NewGame+.

Spoiler

Despite how long this version took, I might have another one pretty quickly. At minimum, I need to expand and refine 5 areas, and create two more weapons to have a full set of 10 weapons to add. Any other quality of life updates, improvements, and implemented suggestions made alongside those would also be added.

The offer to post any random characters you liked (character code, viewed from a book in your house, helps along with screenshots) and have it submitted to a database of player favorite characters is still open. Plus, I'm willing to make small adjustments to said characters if it would make them more interesting... including passive abilities normally limited to pre-built characters.

Also, don't hesitate to post screenshots of hilarity from the palette randomizer and weapon shuffle.

As usual, have fun, and be safe!

Well I Will Give it a Nice big Try Now that i Have Beaten Randomizer BS I Found only 208 Treasures but i Hope i Will Find All in the New Demo so Far :D

#3 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:29 PM

Ok I Think im Down with my New Walktrough im not Sure but i Think i Found All i Hope so :D

zc-screen00001.png
zc-screen00002.png
zc-screen00003.png
zc-screen00004.png
zc-screen00005.pngI

t was realy Fun to Explore all the Different Locations but one Question remains will we ever be Save ???

I hope we Will i Saw many Chaotic Locations But Yeah Overall it was a Nice Exprince and Holly moly so many Great Items to try its Nice that the Items are Locations Sorted so you can find your Own Playstyle if You want Fire Power go to Hot Locations if you want Deatly Weapons go to the Ghosts :D

#4 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:31 AM

Just short the items of Thorny Thicket, if you did not set the Warp Rando, easiest way there is beyond a bomb wall in Plant Passage.

Yeah, it was fun to decide which items appear where normally. And it will keep changing as I get the weapon count up to 250 and add the needed locations to get every weapon up to Level 3.

If you want to see even sillier things, play around a bit with the expanded items rando mode. Some of the things you'll find might be added as main items next update.

I also added a lot of sanity checks to the weapon shuffler since last version, there should be fewer "broken" weapons, but nonsense is still quite common.

• Lordkronos likes this

#5 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:36 AM

Just short the items of Thorny Thicket, if you did not set the Warp Rando, easiest way there is beyond a bomb wall in Plant Passage.

Yeah, it was fun to decide which items appear where normally. And it will keep changing as I get the weapon count up to 250 and add the needed locations to get every weapon up to Level 3.

If you want to see even sillier things, play around a bit with the expanded items rando mode. Some of the things you'll find might be added as main items next update.

I also added a lot of sanity checks to the weapon shuffler since last version, there should be fewer "broken" weapons, but nonsense is still quite common.

Cool Then my Next Try will be with the Insanity Items i Had Longer an Eye on it and it always was Realy Chaotic some Items Feels Normal others feeled more Like Other Items like a Big Huge Chaos :D

#6 Voxren

Voxren

Silver Dragon

• Members

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:11 PM

So unfortunately as I was finishing my first run I ran into a major issue. My key got locked behind a locked door so the run was a bust without cheats sadly. Just wanted to let you know that seems to be a possibility somehow. 

#7 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:29 PM

Oh, so that can happen. Good catch, that should be fixed for now. Short term, the item logic is still simplified, so a lot of it is just "only allow important item in the easiest spots of an area" and also rules out all locations in the late areas. However, Magic Key is expected to be the last item found, blocks very little, can appear in any area... and did not properly rule out the Vault locations.

Luckily, the next version may be coming soon. It will probably be the latest update for a longer while, with big things to be worked on like a weapon header update, which will then lead to finally writing more complex location logic. And while this upcoming update expands the early areas to their final size and item counts, there are still majority of the areas to expand. Needless to say, I won't have something I consider stable to post builds of for awhile once I start on those changes, but do have something stable NOW, which does add and improve a few things.

For example, the next version will add a few more hint books around that explain the abilities unlocked by leveling Skill, as well as the ability to look up what a character's passive ability does during character select (New Game+ feature). I think that should cover the know issues of poorly explained mechanics.

Any last minute bug fixes like this are appreciated, it will help this version stay playable for that long while. I hope to have it out within a week. Thanks.

#8 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:17 PM

Okay, so I've uploaded the Fall Build, which adds a bit to the previous version. It also fixes some critical bugs, so if you are planning on doing another run, I suggest downloading this new version.

What is new? As promised, 10 new weapons and 20 new item locations across the expanded early Overworlds. As such, if you play without the Item Rando you'll still get Level 2 of all weapons.

Scattered in a few remote corners are some new hint books that give information about how leveling SKILL grants you some passive abilities.

The final area now has it's proper enemies instead of placeholders.

And that is about it... for normal runs.

For New Game+... if you have forgotten, I reveal the code to activate it above. There are a few new options here.

Spoiler

This will probably be the last playable version for awhile, with a lot of areas to expand to a larger, complete form. In addition, I want to get an updated weapon header working, which will also make writing more complex logic for the item randomizer possible. And of course, bosses need some more work. However, with 240 / 250 planned weapons in, and most area design just being additions to existing areas, the quest is entering a later beta. Will it be finished this year? No, I'm trying to avoid tempting fate with attaching 2020 to this. But it is getting closer to completion, with few big features yet to add. Look forward to it.

And of course, enjoy!

• Epsalon ZX and Lordkronos like this

#9 telepot

telepot

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:34 AM

Using Alpha 83, the starting house chest is already unlocked and with no item inside. Restarting and choosing different options doesn't work to fix the problem.

Ignore, found where the starting item is.

Edited by telepot, 09 December 2020 - 04:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users