• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:49 PM

Rite of the Storm 2, the sequel to Rite of the Storm co-developed by Avaro and I. We kept a lot of it underwraps, the last time we showed anything was at the expo and a Screenshot of the Week contest. Well, it's been in Development Hell since the expo sitting at 25% completion and there has been nothing to rekindle our interest in working on it. This means we are bittersweetly cancelling this in favour of something else Rite of the Storm related. What do we mean? Well, a proper official game! It's getting a reboot with the same premise and spirit outside Zelda Classic. Gameplay will see a lot of fancy changes, and the story will be a lot more fleshed out and featuring the full, original vision rather than split into two quests. This does mean there may be potential to commercialize it if we're dead serious about it but at the moment it's looking to be a passion project in another program. There's a lot of opportunities to make this a really great, more expansive game that will make up for the cancellation.

You can assume whatever the case for the future of this project, but the cancellation does remain. Rite of the Storm, as a ZC quest, will be a self contained experience and I think that's perfectly fine. We will begin the reboot sometime in the future, with thorough, concrete and sound plans and depending what way we go with advertising, we will keep the community in touch. Maybe Robin's unnamed project will have competition next Superlatives. :P Me and Avaro love ZC too much to outright abandon it. But we both want to move this specific project another direction and that's that.

We will happily show what we had since we're proud of some of the things we did. Given the story will roughly be the same as the ZC series, I don't think it's best to disclose that. One thing I personally wanted to see come into fruition was Gale's newfound Eye of the Storm powers he received at the end of the first quest. They were actually going to be implemented into the gameplay as special attacks you can discover as you play the quest. This video goes through what finished gameplay we had. Afterwards, it quickly skims through un-built areas to show off the music selections and themes (you can stop watching at that part).

A part of me will always miss the ZC conclusion. But I also was never really saddened at the prospect of Rite of the Storm being a self contained story with a unique ending. :)

- Shane and Avaro

• ShadowTiger, Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder, Russ and 9 others like this

#2 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:56 PM

This does mean there may be potential to commercialize it if we're dead serious about it

Steam! Steam is always the answer. That'd be really cool!
Good for y'all!
  • ShadowTiger, Shane, coolgamer012345 and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users