Photo

Blossom Tales

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:14 PM

This game's been out for a little while, but I've just bought it and played through the first level and I'm gotta say, I'm enjoying it so far. It's... pretty distinctly Zelda-inspired, but it's still fairly charming and has a good gameplay feel. Figured I might as well throw up a topic about it here, see if anyone else here has played it or if anyone else might be interested in playing it. Currently on Steam and Switch, not sure about other platforms, $15 USD.

• Anthus likes this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:59 PM

I haven't played it, but I have seen it, and it looks pretty cool. I'll probably be getting it in the near future.

#3 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

I bought it shortly after it released on Switch, and it has a large amount of charm to it, I've gotten through 3 dungeons, and have enjoyed it all. I ended up getting sidetracked with other games, so I need to go back and finish it at some point.

#4 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:53 PM

I bought this a couple months back and completed it in a couple or so days. I loved it honestly.

Edited by Jared, 09 May 2018 - 11:25 AM.

• Matthew likes this

#5 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:46 AM

Really liked this! The unique story telling is noteworthy for me. I found the dungeon design kinda poor though. Overall pretty fun game.

• Jared likes this

#6 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

Really liked this! The unique story telling is noteworthy for me. I found the dungeon design kinda poor though. Overall pretty fun game.

On a positive note about the dungeons, they were all laid out the same and had the same structure, which is something people often overlook.

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

On a positive note about the dungeons, they were all laid out the same and had the same structure, which is something people often overlook.

What do you mean? I don't think you mean to say they're all identical and that's good?

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

Is it just me, or has there been an upwards trend towards games with cute, female protagonists? :P
  • Jared likes this

#9 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

What do you mean? I don't think you mean to say they're all identical and that's good?

I mean it in a way that they all have the same formula, similar to how Zelda dungeons play out. They're not haphazardly made and work completely differently. In short, they give the game it's own feel and essence.

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

How long is this game? I feel like it's going to be somewhat short but that's fine as long as it's good.

#11 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

It's relatively long, because of exploration in my opinion. But shorter than real 2d zeldas.

Edited by Avataro, 05 April 2018 - 11:38 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:07 PM

I wonder if the main character's name is a Zelda homage in itself.

• Jared likes this

#13 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:25 PM

I played most of the way through the original Steam release, then when the Switch version came out I bought that too and proceeded to play through the entire thing.

It's good for a 2D Zelda fix, but unless you go out of your way for optional items/sidequests, I'd say it's shorter than Minish Cap.

One of my favorite things about it is the
Spoiler

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:17 AM

DbM7fs0V4AEEtl5.jpg

I appreciate this reference.

• Anthus, Jared and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:35 PM

Finished this today finally, may go back for 100% later. It's... a really good game. The best indie Zelda clone that I've played; yes, even better than Oceanhorn in my opinion. It understands what made Zelda games fun and utilizes them properly, instead of merely going through the motions and cashing in on the Zelda love. I will admit that dungeons are its weakest point, however. They're not bad, but they tend to reuse puzzles often which gets samey after a while, and there's a lot of similar design philosophies as well.

It makes up for it with its charm and legitimately very good overworld, though. It has its own story, characters, world, and a few quests and distractions to keep you occupied. It's pretty, fun to explore, the combat can be fun and some of the unique items are cool, even a few of the bosses are pretty good. I'm... not gonna lie, I enjoy this game more than some of the official Zelda titles, and not just the low-hanging fruit like Four Swords and Tri Force Heroes. I would actually pick this game over the likes of Minish Cap, the DS Zeldas, and even the Oracle games if I had to pick between those and this... but I'm one of the few that don't care for Capcom's Zelda games in general. I mean, freely admit those games have better dungeons, but Blossom Tales is a more enjoyable total package to me.

Really hope these guys work on a sequel, and this time spice up the dungeon design. That would be one great game.

• Neppy, Anthus, Jared and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users