Photo

Metroid: Samus Returns

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

If that name sounds familiar... That's because it is in fact an official remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus. For 3DS. Coming later this year. Now we know why AM2R was shut down!

• Neppy, Beefster and Matthew like this

#2 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

It seems she can shoot in all directions and got some kind of uppercut move to stun the metroids. Looks pretty good.

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

I'm having some mixed feeling on this, but hope I'm wrong and it's great. Will this be known as YAM2R? (Yet Another Metroid 2 Remake) LOL

• Matthew likes this

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

Apparently MercurySteam is developing this instead of Nintendo. In the past pitched a Metroid game to Nintendo, a first-person adventure supposedly where you play as Samus and other bounty hunters. It would have been for Wii U and 3DS. Ultimately, the pitch failed. And now they're back to work on a remake of Metroid II, one of the franchise's lesser entries, instead! I'm kind of amused by this turn of events.

And worried. This is the developer that made Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, specifically Mirror of Fate, their attempt at making a Metroidvania game that, judging by the demo, wasn't very good. Maybe they'll fare better under Nintendo's direction, but Sakamoto is back to helm this, and the last time Sakamoto helmed a third-party-developed Metroid game, well...

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

I really resist showing so much gameplay footage on announcement day. Trying to check in now and again to see if it's over so I don't see too much.

#6 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

http://gonintendo.co...dition-revealed

A Special Edition is confirmed for the game. It includes the game and a Soundtrack Selection CD.

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

This is definitely good news, but we'll see if it is as good as AM2R. That was a great game that captured what the series was about, and did so nearly perfectly, IMO. This.. looks like some flashy, QTE shmup. I hope I'm wrong, and I'm sure it will be at least decent, but sorry if I'm cynical since the last three official Metroids have been fundamentally bad/ not what people wanted. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited, but we'll just have to see how it plays. :)

• Cukeman likes this

#8 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

I'd be lying if I didn't say this situation wasn't amusing though
Nintendo shuts down a fan remake, and makes one of their own
But...will it actually be better or worse than the fan remake?
This is the situation they put theirself in XD

#9 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

This game had the one thing, every other Metroid lacked.'  The 'Spider-ball'.  

Every other metriod game never had this cool power-up and the -Prime series basically turned the franchise into Doom and not Metroid, so this went out the window.

Other M has the best Idea, for how Samus could be controlled and made tons more since,

than just looking through a visor 24/7 .

imagine how many other things and item powerups lost because of the Visor view only thing.

Spiderball, again Metroid prime had it, however it wasn't used right.

-It railroaded you to run on tracks.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 13 June 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#10 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:04 PM

I'm sorry, but this is really awesome, and will be getting this for sure. I hope it has been greatly expanded from the original game, because Metroid II was a fairly short game, and I want it to be a grand experience!
  • Jared and SkyLizardGirl like this

#11 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

However there was apparently Metroid II a fan remake and all the boss battles are pretty awesome.*

-Watch Samus fight that Dragoness-Metroid-Queen at the end of video below to see what i mean.

With a Super Metroid type feel,

This project is finished and basically play this till the release date for Nintendo's upcoming remake to compare.  

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 13 June 2017 - 06:32 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

However there was apparently Metroid II a fan remake and all the boss battles are pretty awesome.*

-Watch Samus fight that Dragoness-Metroid-Queen at the end of video below to see what i mean.

With a Super Metroid type feel,

This project is finished and basically play this till the release date for Nintendo's upcoming remake to compare.  

Yeah, Another Metroid 2 Remake (AM2R) is great. It's legit the best fan-game I've ever played. Maybe Nintendo will have learned a thing or two from their fans, by now, I can only hope. 

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#13 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:10 PM

Some thoughts on the trailer:

Graphics:

I'm already not especially fond of 2.5-D platformers and here I'm even less impressed. Enemies seem to be off model in the ugliest ways possible, that Hornoad at the beginning being the worst offender. I get that some 3DS games do this to hide the limitations of the system, but if you're gonna stylize, do it across the board. Hey speaking of limitations, is it just me or are some of these models low poly even by 3DS standards? It might just be the cutscenes not doing them any favors. Environments seem mostly pretty alright, although I'm not a fan of how the liquids cut off at the edge of the playing field. Seems like they should extend out in front to make the game world pop more. As it is now, it's all too clear we're just seeing a cross-section of the world, that we're playing a game. Where my immersion at? :P

Music:

Once again, not impressed. We have two tracks and neither particularly stood out to me. Where's the beloved SR388 theme? I have no doubt that it'll be kept in, but they could've had it in the trailer and immediately shot our hype through the roof and yet they didn't.

Gameplay:

Oh boy. Oh boy, where do I begin? So we've gone full 3D. To some that may be great, but to me it indicates that the things I loved about 2D Metroid are probably gone. I loved shooting/bombing every tile to find secret paths. It made exploration fun and organic, unlike the Disneyland adventure I suspect we'll get here. I missed that style of gameplay in Prime and I can tell I'll miss it here. Moving on, it seems we're getting 360 degree aiming on the arm cannon. That's actually pretty cool and I'm remaining optimistic on it, but there's still a chance the gameplay could be unsuited for it and it could make it overly difficult to hit anything while moving. Hopefully that isn't the case. I see we have the return of my favorite Metroid item: the grapple beam! But it appears from the trailer that it's just the Prime version done in 2D and not the full glory of what it was in Super Metroid...aww. We've got a new parry move in combat, which I don't feel was an especially necessary addition to Samus's moveset, but...okay. But then oh boy, we've got health pickups that automatically fly to Samus even without the charge beam. And they come out of enemies when they aren't even fully killed. I'm just not sure how to feel about this, it makes the player just so...uninvolved when you reward them for just playing the game. It just seems way too simplified, split second choices involving health pickups are now just a nonissue. And then lastly, my most hated thing in the trailer: cinematic damaging/kill animations! I'm talking about that part where Samus parries the Zeta Metroid and swings it by its tail. Why are we doing this? It adds nothing and just needlessly interrupts the gameplay. I really hope this isn't what all the boss fights devolve into. It's giving me some serious Other M vibes...

• Anthus, Cukeman and Deedee like this

#14 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

At last an explanation for the AM2R debacle! (I haven't played that yet, though I do have a copy and watched Eppy's run of it.)

It seems pretty clear that this was already in development when that fan game was released and Nintendo probably wasn't entirely sure when they were going to release/announce this. So, quashing it was the best way for them to actually pump up the hype for this version.

I can see some inspirations from Other M in those quick-time movements in the fight but I also see Arachnus which makes me wonder if that wasn't inspired partially by his appearance in AM2R.

In either case, my brain went "Must reserve now!"

Oh, and the best part of the trailer.... it's coming out this year, not at some unspecified point in the future.

It took you long enough, Nintendo. (Now, we just need the third part of the Chrono Trigger series... and yes, I do know that's Square Enix.)

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

Arachnus was in the original game, though. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users