The Official Quest Screenshot Critique Thread

• Please log in to reply
7943 replies to this topic

#7441 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

I'm really enjoying this style! It reminds me of the actual Gameboy games.
  • Jared likes this

#7442 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

6GmygBe.png

Hmm... A boiling lava river and I need to get to the other side. Nah, I'm outta here.

wdaSwfP.png

This one, it's my first attempt at designing a graveyard area, literally. Any thoughts about the palette/design would be quite helpful here, really. :)

• Shane, Eddy, Jared and 2 others like this

#7443 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

Both screens are really nice, and I particularly like the graveyard. If I could think of one improvement, it would be to make the color of the white ground a bit darker. Other than that, it's fantastic. :)

Edited by Matthew, 15 August 2017 - 01:03 PM.

• Demonlink likes this

#7444 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

I am not sure about the white area between the brown and green grounds. And I still prefer editing the gasha-trees to fill the nut-hole. No real complain though, your EZGBZ-usage is pretty much perfection. Though I wonder if it is the best to place the switch-hook-rocks like this, you have to walk around them to get to a place to switch with the rock on the other side.
  • Demonlink likes this

#7445 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

sBlzAbZ.png

A river scene; nothing special.

• Eddy, Jared and Matthew like this

#7446 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

It is the most special thing i've seen in my life. in fact, it is a screen so beautiful,, i wish to marry itl.

• Shane and Jared like this

#7447 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:13 AM

I am not a huge fan of the palms, they and especially their shadows are too malleable/3Dish for my taste and while the new ground details are flaweless I don't like it if the color says "walkable ground" while the form itself would make you think that it could be a solid bush. The clean mountain borders with sharp edges are my least favorite and I could imagine that it would look better to just use a normal corner not going inwards next to the stairs. And while the layout doesn't allow it here I prefer it if the waterfall goes down together with the mountain.

All of that are just personal preferences though, the screen is flawless and has (obviously) shane-standards (means high quality).

#7448 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:41 AM

It is the most special thing i've seen in my life. in fact, it is a screen so beautiful,, i wish to marry itl.

omg thx ! when is the wedding ? XD

Oo4zYBg.png

Here's one of a coastal area. Making good progress. :D

• Jared, David and Matthew like this

#7449 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

I am not sure about the white area between the brown and green grounds. And I still prefer editing the gasha-trees to fill the nut-hole. No real complain though, your EZGBZ-usage is pretty much perfection. Though I wonder if it is the best to place the switch-hook-rocks like this, you have to walk around them to get to a place to switch with the rock on the other side.

Thanks! However, those are actual hookshot-able stones. I was about to implement the Switch Hook script by Zoria, but there are a few features that are missing to make it a complete usable weapon for my needs. If the things that are missing do get implemented, I might consider changing it to the Switch Hook.

omg thx ! when is the wedding ? XD

Oo4zYBg.png

Here's one of a coastal area. Making good progress. :D

Good progress is good. Like always, very beautiful shots you provide often my friend. (Y)

• Shane likes this

#7450 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

Beautiful as always, Shane. You never fail to amaze me. You're my inspiration and motivation.

Screenshot_6.png

???

Edit- Just added some variations of the lava. My bad! I would like to switch these with those nice aLttP lava tiles though...

Edited by Jared, 16 August 2017 - 06:56 PM.

• Shane, Eddy, Avaro and 1 other like this

#7451 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

I really like the mesh bridge. Nice work!

• Jared likes this

#7452 Zaxarone

Zaxarone

Gigi & Merri Superstar Saga

• Members

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

bKykFU7.png
hows the light look here?

Edited by Zaxaphone, 16 August 2017 - 10:07 PM.

• Shane, Eddy, Demonlink and 1 other like this

#7453 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:52 AM

Thanks! However, those are actual hookshot-able stones. I was about to implement the Switch Hook script by Zoria, but there are a few features that are missing to make it a complete usable weapon for my needs. If the things that are missing do get implemented, I might consider changing it to the Switch Hook.

What I meant is that you have to place yourself in front of the rock on your side first and you could avoid that just by placing the 2nd rock one combo higher or lower like in the actual GB-games. I am not sure if it is really that bothersome here, I am only wondering about. The first dungeon I made looked quite good in my opinion, but I placed a lot of decor like pillars so badly that you had to "dodge" them non-stop and it wasn't actually fun to play. This could be also the case here, though only on one screen it shouldn't matter even if it is.

@Jared, that is a really nice screen and I agree with Matthew. I don't like the bright ground color of the pot-combos and the floor combos with 4 quadratics look a bit out of place, like putting classic combos into EZGBZ.

#7454 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:33 AM

Beautiful as always, Shane. You never fail to amaze me. You're my inspiration and motivation.

Screenshot_6.png

???

Edit- Just added some variations of the lava. My bad! I would like to switch these with those nice aLttP lava tiles though...

That's pretty good. The colours work well with the theme and the layout is simplistic but overall nice!

bKykFU7.png
hows the light look here?

They work, definitely helps the setting you're going for. Nice work!

• Jared likes this

#7455 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

UITJpWR.png

The palette is a big edit from one of my previous submissions for S:CA. Not only that, but it was a pain in the you know where for me to find a fitting midi track. Boy, now the only thing that rests is to actually start building the dungeon... But that's for another day. :P Might be the last teaser I show for another few months BTW.

Edited by Demonlink, 19 August 2017 - 12:15 PM.

• judasrising, Eddy and Naru like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users