Pokémon: Sword and Shield

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:03 AM

The main thing that caught my interest is perhaps, the removal of random battles.  To be replaced with, visible overworld encounters that we can dodge or intentionally go towards.  Dragon Quest has been doing this since IX on DS, and I was waiting on when the other turn based RPGs would catch up.  I'm not a fan of random battles, because they can be as annoying as happening every step you take.  I'm aware Pokemon has always had Repels to combat this, since its inception, but, you never had access to them, or at least much or the good ones, early on in the game.  So you still had to put up with the high encounter rates, albeit sometimes no more than an hour or so into the game.  So if Pokemon finally drops this dated concept of random battles, that'll be one of the best innovations Modern Pokemon has done for the series. Everyone likes to make fun of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, but this was one of the mechanics that it did, which I really liked, amongst other things.  

Edited by Koh, 08 June 2019 - 06:05 AM.

#32 klop422

klop422

Evil Crazy Mastermind

• Members

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:04 PM

I mean, from what I remember of FFMQ is that the enemies were just visible, but they didn't do anything but stand there. Even if it was a good start, it certainly wasn't ideal. Earthbound, on the other hand, might be a better example of an RPG with very good overworld encounters. Although having Pokémon run from you when your party's a much higher level would be kind of annoying, especially if you're shiny hunting or something.

I still haven't had the chance to try Let's Go, so I don't know first hand how good it is, but it seems to work decently well.

#33 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

Lack of random battles completely defeats the point of the series, which is to look for pokemon. It also completely kills the excitement of finding pokemon. This is one series that gets actually worse with overworld battles, not better. And even in Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest it has two major issues: resource management and being able to run into strong enemy formations are no longer a thing because i can outright avoid enemies. Completely defeating the point of exploring dungeons and it makes a large chunk of the game way easier.

The reveal trailer showed a random encounter, so we don't even know which one it will be. If there's an option for both, then i'm all good. But if random encounters are actively removed, then whatever little excitement i have for this game is gonna drop hard. People already criticize this series for being too easy to beat, with overworld encounters it just makes the process of finding pokemon way too ridiculously easy, just further increasing this criticism.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/...281317853749249

Apparently there are both overworld encounters and random encounters. Still don't like that overworld encounters are in it, but i can still have actual excitement in finding pokemon because random encounters are still in it as well.

Edited by Norzan, 08 June 2019 - 02:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users