• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#46 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

I have no idea why people hate the new art-style. I think it really fits what LA was going for and it looks really good.

Also that fan-trailer looks very amateurish and I don't get why every single fan project needs to use Minish Cap graphics. If I want to see MC graphics I'll go play MC.

• Shane and Jared like this

#47 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

I think it has everything to do with the official artwork that exists, myself.  You see, at least with sprites, there's an understanding that you can't possibly match the artwork with every detail, so a certain disconnect is expected.  But with 3D, you can not only get the characters looking exactly like the artwork, but as shown with Dragon Quest VIII, you can directly imitate the artwork.  The question I posed before rings here:  What's the point of having artwork for how things should look, if the new assets aren't going to look anything like that?  Makes all the artwork pretty pointless.

397full-the-legend-of-zelda%3A-link%27s-

0afa6a623b9a444070efc443ec69a6a7--legend

The whole point of including artwork in the guides and manuals and all that kind of stuff is to help your imagination with the game.  Of course simple gameboy color sprites for LADX can't look like THIS, so they're helping guide you on what things actually look like within the world.  Marin's all orange in her sprite because that's the limitation of 8-bit, but we can clearly see what her outfit and such actually look like here in the artwork.

So...anyone who had the manuals and saw all this artwork most likely used these as reference as they played LA, on how things should actually be playing out.  Even the intro with Link on the raft is pretty close to the artwork.  Now that it's 3D and with a lot more technology behind the game, you'd think it'd look closer to how they've told us the world looks after all these years.

Edited by Koh, 23 February 2019 - 03:18 PM.

• Daniel and SkyLizardGirl like this

#48 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:54 PM

Honestly, I agree with the above post, but I don't dislike the art style of the official remake either. A little disappointing that they haven't  taken the old art style, but that doesn't make this style any worse. Same way pizza being great doesn't make lasagna any worse.

Still excited though :P

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#49 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:41 PM

Now that it's 3D and with a lot more technology behind the game, you'd think it'd look closer to how they've told us the world looks after all these years.

This says otherwise

• Daniel and SkyLizardGirl like this

#50 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:36 PM

But this doesn't make the artwork pointless? Look at the intro of the trailer and the new artwork we got. It's still clear the artwork is how it really looks and we're just getting a stylized version of the game graphics that stay faithful to the original ingame graphics, and I love it. It looks like those photo cutscene graphics in the DX version coming to life. We already got ALBW and TFH, let's let a new artstyle shine. A remake isn't required to look more like its artwork, it's just an improvement on graphics, gameplay and other aspects...

And these fan mockups look... eh. They're not bad but they're not better either, and it's not like I'm going to be able to play them also. Though Nintendo's remake on dungeon visuals are infinitely superior.

• Eddy and SkyLizardGirl like this

#51 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:36 AM

That's fair, I'll concede that trying new things isn't a bad thing.

I was just explaining why I'm almost certain the backlash exists both here and in the trailer.  Everyone's established headcanon is based on the old artwork, guides and manuals.  So naturally, when they announce a remake, people were expecting something...closer to it.  Or if not that, at least something more stylistically close to the original.  I'm reminded of another fan piece.

https://www.devianta...emake-420599289

d6yewhl-e836afda-b270-43f0-b1b1-c16f2422

https://www.devianta...ke-DX-423183661

d6zyalp-8d512ba9-1ec7-4f34-9702-2f0cedae

Link's face here is....again awkward, but everything else is perfect!  If they went for a style like this, I'm almost certain there'd have been almost zero backlash about the artstyle.

Edited by Koh, 24 February 2019 - 06:41 AM.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#52 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:40 AM

Link is either hella pissed or hella constipated in those images Koh, lmao.

• Koh, Eddy, Jared and 1 other like this

#53 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:34 AM

I have no idea why people hate the new art-style. I think it really fits what LA was going for and it looks really good.

Another thing is with the exception of the first dungeon in the trailer the clips shown were parts of the game that were more light hearted in the original. Hopefully the game does get darker as the story progresses and Link becomes more aware of what’s going on (don’t want to spoil anything). Just think how ALTTP while bright and colorful throughout also had very dark moments (beginning for one example). That was done with great effect simply with a change in the colors and music.

Nintendo has always been great about expressing different feelings in their games. Though it would be hard for them to beat the original 8bit soundtrack of the original Links Awakening. The overworld in particularly bit really most of the music had a trusty epic feel. Easily the best on Gameboy in my opinion.

This says otherwise

Damn, you got me.

Edited by Daniel, 25 February 2019 - 05:34 AM.

#54 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:32 AM

IMO it was and hopefully will be the music that conveys the dark turn of the game. Every dungeon before the reveal was upbeat, but after that each song had a dark or quiet tone. I'm at the very least expecting the soundtrack to reflect what it conveyed perfectly in the original. I'm fine with the visuals not changing, but I do feel it could be an added bonus.

• Daniel likes this

#55 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:42 AM

Dang it Koh , That's Amazing what you posted 0_0 !

#56 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

Because of this game's announcement, I've changed my cosplay plans for this year...

52929431_10219014767698655_5100991859841

• Anthus, Shane, Eddy and 2 others like this

#57 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

http://www.nintendow...links-awakening

New information was revealed for this game:

-The Color Dungeon is returning.

-Chamber Dungeon was revealed, it allows you to create your own dungeons with the rooms from the main dungeons.

-A new amiibo based off Link's appearance in this game is coming out. The game also supports the Zelda Amiibos, with the Link's Awakening Amiibo adding Shadow Link to the Chamber Dungeons.

-The game is coming out September 20th, 2019.

Edited by KEM64, 11 June 2019 - 02:37 PM.

#58 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:44 PM

That Chamber Dungeons thing sounds interesting. Hopefully you can do a substantial amount of different dungeons, and not have too few options.

#59 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

I'm really excited for this and I'll definitely be getting this one ASAP. Chamber Dungeon sounds like a really interesting idea, I can see myself messing around with this for a bit. Consider me hyped for the game :P

#60 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:39 PM

Gameplay without people talking all over it.  

I have to admit that I'm starting to warm up to the art style a bit, but not as a remake.  I feel like if it was an original title with this style, then I'd be more forgiving, but since I have something to compare it to, as is the nature of remakes, it doesn't feel like the ideal style I would've liked to see for a remake of one of my favorite GBC titles.

Now that we can actually talk about the music, let's talk about the music.  It's good, but...is it just me, or is too...quiet?  Seems Sword Search especially, while the remaster sounds good on its own, I think the original sounds way better and more impactful. It's not totally lost in the background for one thing...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Remake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users