Photo

[ZC Fork: 2.future] Binaries for ZC Build '2.54' As Requested

Fork New ZC Version Beta Build

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:10 PM

It's *very important* to let people know that your latest update changes the binary format of quest files so they are no longer compatible with 2.50. Otherwise it's possible for people to post quest corruption bugs if they unknowingly open it in 2.50.3 for example.

#17 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:45 AM

It's *very important* to let people know that your latest update changes the binary format of quest files so they are no longer compatible with 2.50. Otherwise it's possible for people to post quest corruption bugs if they unknowingly open it in 2.50.3 for example.

...I had long ago updated the version of the header, so it's physically impossible to open a 2.54 quest in 2.50.x. I planned ahead on that one.

If you try, ZQ will state: 'Version not supported', and ZC will return: 'Invalid version', just as if you tried to open a 2.50 quest in 2.10...however...

I should have noted it anyway, and it is  possible to attempt to open a 2.54 quest in an earlier beta, in which case, aye, that could cause problems for the user. Compatibility between early betas is never guaranteed though. I have already needed to modify some early ZScript implementations, as noted in the change log; but as no-one is truly using it yet, I wasn't too worried.

I'll denote it in the version post. I can probably throw a minversion check on the Beta ID, too. 

---

In other news, Mitsukara was testing her quest in 2.54, and she discovered what she thought was a bug with 2.54 not properly doing SetComboSolid (COMBOSM) :

It turned out to be a 2.50.3 RC1 bug, and as this is forked from that, it inherited it; so once she properly documents, and reports it, it'll need some looking into.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 20 December 2016 - 04:52 AM.

#18 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

I'd like to start contributing to ZC, but when I look at the C++ code, I'm like: :wow:

#19 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

I'd like to start contributing to ZC, but when I look at the C++ code, I'm like: :wow:

Oh yes! It does take time to get to know it. I've had two years, and I still find meself losing me mind on occasion, trying to find things.

My advice, is to state the types of things you'd want to do, and some of us could point you in the right direction; or tell you how difficult/impossible they might be; my eternal pessimism notwithstanding. I've spent today working on b38 and b39. Some of what I wanted to do with those is not oing to work as-is, and will need revision; while other things work flawlessly.

Typically, anything that is too broken to use, is disabled, although I forgot to disable the LA_CASTING stuff in the last public build, hence the warning.

When working on this, starting small is the way to go, and I've been writing a guide on adding, and editing ZScript language and support code.

It's still very much a work-in-proress, but it's in the 2.54 package as 'HowToAddZScript.txt' if you wish to read it.

[2.future] is going to need testers though, to load existing quests and see if they have any bugs caused by the changes to the programme, and to test the new features. (I was planning to compose a thread on that matter at some point this week.)

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 20 December 2016 - 06:38 PM.

• Kivitoe likes this

#20 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

Oh yes! It does take time to get to know it. I've had two years, and I still find meself losing me mind on occasion, trying to find things.

My advice, is to state the types of things you'd want to do, and some of us could point you in the right direction; or tell you how difficult/impossible they might be; my eternal pessimism notwithstanding. I've spent today working on b38 and b39. Some of what I wanted to do with those is not oing to work as-is, and will need revision; while other things work flawlessly.

Typically, anything that is too broken to use, is disabled, although I forgot to disable the LA_CASTING stuff in the last public build, hence the warning.

When working on this, starting small is the way to go, and I've been writing a guide on adding, and editing ZScript language and support code.

It's still very much a work-in-proress, but it's in the 2.54 package as 'HowToAddZScript.txt' if you wish to read it.
 [2.future] is going to need testers though, to load existing quests and see if they have any bugs caused by the changes to the programme, and to test the new features. (I was planning to compose a thread on that matter at some point this week.)

The good thing is that I've been taking baby steps towards C++. I've been making console programs. Right now I'm trying to make a crude pong game using the SFML library.

Some things I want from ZScript is mainly in the editor. I've always wanted a copy/paste context menu.

#21 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:44 PM

The good thing is that I've been taking baby steps towards C++. I've been making console programs. Right now I'm trying to make a crude pong game using the SFML library.

Some things I want from ZScript is mainly in the editor. I've always wanted a copy/paste context menu.

Hmm... I really don't know why ZQuest has contextual menus for just about everything, except that. I'm sure that Saffith had a reason hor using hotkey+click instead of right-click+selection; unless it was a preference for speed. I'll need to see if jwin can grab focus on a selection in one of those editor panels and forward its ref to a contextual menu, but it's not a high priority concern, versus the time involved with determining if it will function; so sure, have a look at zq_custom.cpp.

The editor panels primarily live in there.

A menu of this sort, for items, enemies, maps, dmaps, and subscreens would be nice though. Subscreens, in particular, lack any sort of fast copy/paste mechanism, entirely.

Building something from nothing can be more of a challenge, than expanding on what already exists. Even using some king of API/library, you need to define everything from the ground-level. Applying patches is typically easier by magnitudes, save when it takes months just to figure out how to navigate what you are changing. :P

#22 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

For those of you wondering why there were no releases in a while... There were, but they went only to staff, and testers, while we finished a few important things. There was no pause, or hiatus, in the last few weeks, at all.

Beta 48 is now available.
Windows Download (49MB) | Source Package (50MB)

This build adds more to the enemy editor, partularly some new enemy defence types, new ZScript goodies, some parser upgades, and some other ZQuest and ZC improvements.

Bugfixes

This release implements a bugfix for SetComboSolid() so that quests made prior to 2.50.2 will work properly. (This bug was introduced in 2.50.3-RC1.)

We also fixed Link->WarpEffect, Link->WarpSound, and related variables that broke in Beta 20, are fixed and working again. Apologies for that. When we added separated SCC warp effects, they broke these, but all is now working as intended. 

Enemy Editor Updates
We've added some additional defence types (outcomes of being hit), as follows:

Double Damage
​Triple Damage
Quadruple Damage
​Damage = Heal: The weapon will give the enemy HP. This is not capped at their starting HP.
​Trigger Secrets: Hitting the enemy will trigger all the secrets on the screen.

Beta48_ee.png

Zelda Classic Debug Console
The Debug Console was previously only available if you toggled it before launching ZC, in allegro.cfg. Now, you can open it at any time via the Misc menu in Zelda Classic, and you may close it (via this menu) without killing the ZC process on Windows.

Beta48_Debug.png

ZQuest Parser
New to ZQuest, is that you may use C-style comment blocks in scripts. This enables adding large amounts of comment text, or disabling large sections of code, with four keystrokes.

Beta48_CBlock.png
Comments may be in-line with instructions...

Beta48_CBlock2.png
...or anywhere that they are helpful.

We've also added a preliminary version of function pointers, using @ptr as a delimiter.

ZScript
There are of course, many additions and changes to ZScript, starting with:

Link->ItemA
Link->ItemB

​Link->UsingItem

These allow setting Link's items directly, without a subscreen, and are ideal for scripted subscreens. Here is a scripted three-pane subscreen demo, if you care to try it. Note that the demo is usable, but that the left, and right panes are unfinished a this point in time. The centre pane is complete, and you may experiment with it. Feel free to recycle any code components of this that you desire.

Link->UsingItem returns the ID of the item being used that frame.

Link->Extend
Link->HitWidth
Link->HitHeight
Link->HitYOffset
Link->HitXOffset

Beta48_LinkHB.png

These are now usable, and you can define Link's hitbox properties. (See zscript.txt or the other docs for how to use them.)

We also added some preliminary methods for working with Link's tiles, and animations:

Link->WalkTileSwimTile, DiveTile, SlashTile, JumpTile, ChargeTile, StabTile, CastingTile, PoundTile, FloatTile, Hold1LandTile, Hold2LandTile, Hold1WaterTile, Hold2WaterTile

Link->Animation

Link->WalkASPeed : Walk Animation Framerate

Link->SwimASPeed : Swimming Animation Framerate

Note that the list of tile setters will eventually be replaced either with a single function, or with an array.

We also added some things to check, or set Link's status effects, and to control his 'Hurt Effects', such as if he flickers when hit, how long his invincibility frames last, and what sound he makes when hit.

int Link->InvFrames : Returns the number of frames remaining of Link's invincibility, and it is legal to set it.

int Link->HurtSound : The sound Link makes when hurt.

​bool Link->InvFlicker : If set false, Link will neither flicker, no flash, when hit.

FFCs

You may now retrieve the screen index of an ffc using this->ID. For example, if you are attaching a script to ffc 9, this->ID will return 9. Setting this is also legal, but needs testing, and may work similarly to Screen->LoadFFC().

NPCs

int npc->InvFrames

bool npc->HasItem

bool npc->Ringleader

You may not detect if an enemy is temporarily invincible after being hit, if an npc is a 'Ring Leader', or if an npc is holding the screen item.

Game

We added ways to detect the version of ZC...and more important, we added a way to disable the active subscreen by script.

int Game->Version

int Game->Build

int Game->Beta

bool Game->DisableActiveSubscreen

The subscreen demo (see above), uses this.

Misc[] Indices

We increased the number of ptr->Misc[] indices fro 16, to 32, for npcs, items, lweapons, and eweapons. This should give users some additional breathing space when using these arrays, particularly with headers that use most of them.

As always, more good stuff is on the way. Have fun with Beta 48, ans as always, please report any bugs, issues, or anything else that you wish to say.

See the included docs for everything new, and a change log.

Change Log for Beta 48

• ShadowTiger, Jared and Deedee like this

#23 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

I remember having asked if this was possible in an older version, and it wasn't. Is there any way to directly check if an enemy is in a stunned state, like when they're hit with the Boomerang? It would make it much easier to make enemies where you have to stun them to trigger a weakness, then hit them while they're stunned. (Specifically, I was planning on scripting a top-down version of a Metroid, using the Boomerang and Arrows rather than Ice Beam and Missiles.)

#24 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

I remember having asked if this was possible in an older version, and it wasn't. Is there any way to directly check if an enemy is in a stunned state, like when they're hit with the Boomerang? It would make it much easier to make enemies where you have to stun them to trigger a weakness, then hit them while they're stunned. (Specifically, I was planning on scripting a top-down version of a Metroid, using the Boomerang and Arrows rather than Ice Beam and Missiles.)

You can do that in 2.50.0 and above... Read npc->Stun and see if it is not 0. If it is 0, the npc is not stunned. If it is > 0, they are stunned, and the return value of n->Stun is the number of frames that remain until they are unstunned. You can determine what weapons can possibly stun them by reading n->Defense[]. Weapons with a power of 0 that can ordinarily damage, will stun, and any weapon defence type that has a stun attribute, can stun.

Were you thinking of checking if npcs are invincible, after being injured? We did add that to 2.54.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 09 January 2017 - 09:47 PM.

#25 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Are you planning to expand tables for combo types and combo flags? 5 blank entries for each table is quite uncomfortable. Maybe a function to rename blank entries for easier usage in quests.

#26 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

Are you planning to expand tables for combo types and combo flags? 5 blank entries for each table is quite uncomfortable. Maybe a function to rename blank entries for easier usage in quests.

It's certainly on the agenda. This will cause yet another change to the packfile, and I would like to limit how frequently we do that, and lump those changes together. It's possible to code that in, and leave it disabled, until we have a substantial number of changes. Likewise, if we want to preserve the Export for 2.50.x feature, the fewer, or at least, the less frequently we tough the packfile, the better.

Adding combo types, and flags, that are strictly user defined, otherwise, takes mere moments. Ideally, I would like to see some kind of combo editor, where (at the least), the user could name the user-defined combos, and flags.

When we do add them, i think that the best approach is to increase the number to 256, or 512, add N amount of user-definable entries, and reserve the rest, so that in the future, this asset can be expanbded with no alteration to the saving, and loading routines. I would in fact, like to add in some scratch space for each system asset.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 12 January 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#27 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:30 PM

I filled this request. Combo flags..you should have more than enough now.

Combo types are manother matter. What I'm hoping to do, is add a superset of types under CT_EXPANDED, as well as a superset of flags, via CF_EXPANDED, with a flag editor; both in the future. Defining the behaviour of combo types will need to wait, as nwill defining internal flags; but I added a huge list of flags, both generic, and script-purposed, for the common script uses:

Here are the named flags.

Spoiler

How does that look? Did I miss any commonly used script flags? I suppose CF_LEDGE? could go in there?

What do people use that would be worthwhile placing on the list as a named flag? There are 90 unused flags remaining in the base table. Clearly, most of these need to be reserved for hardcoded use, and the planned flag editor would handle user-defined stuff in the future, but if there are a handful of flags that you think would be good here, I'd consider them. I may also rip some of these out, or later define an internal version of them.

Some of these are meant to be used in conjunction with a second flag. As an example, Spawn NPC + NPC 0, then read the NPC list and spawn NPC 0 at that ocation every so many frames. (You can read the NPC IDs of any screen in the game workd, now.)

Likewise, 'Drop Item' + 'Pot, Lift', is a valid flag pair, as is a trigger type, and 'Drop Item'. These are meant for scripts, mind, so you need to define their actions, but it gives you a rather large amount of flexibility. Clearly the pit, lava, drop, ice, and similar are all popular. Perhaps 'Ice Block' should be here? That seems rather common, as does 'Springboard/Air Jet'.

Jump Only could be on the list, too.

I thought about 'Lock', and 'Boss Lock', as well.

One tested suggested red/blue switches, but that seems not something well-suited to this sort of thing, as an internal combo or flag, because defining the area of their effect (DMaps) might be problematic, unless we add a level data variable for their state. That would need to affect any DMap of that level, to work, but might be plausible.

Beta 52 is nearly ready, and it's a rather big update. There are a few more things that I want to add, and ensure work, before releasing it to the public, which will be in its own thread.

Here is the Change Log, since the last update, if you wish to review any of it.

Spoiler

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 16 January 2017 - 11:38 PM.

#28 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:16 AM

Some more suggestions that has spawned in my mind:

Scripting:

Screen->SecretCombos[] + Screen->SecretFlags[] + Screen->SecretCSets[] read/write. Editing secret combos mid-game as well as checking what combo should be used as replacement on revealing secrets.

Link->SetDeathAnimation. GoreSplode! :twisted:

Combo Flags:

Damage64

DamageInstantKill - For those nasty trolls. :twisted:

Dive->DirectWarp - For underwater areas and dungeons

HookshotGrab2&3 - Need advanced hookshot to use (like Ice Hookshot from stdWeapons quest)

QuakeHammer/SuperQuake triggers. Both direct hit and full-screen

BlockScriptWeapon All/#

Spinner rails - straight from Panoply of Calatia

Magnetiс N/S - again from Panoply.

Sideview->Semi-solid

Sideview->Ladder

Sideview-> "/" Stair + "\"Stair

New items and item attributes:

Hookshot-> Wrap around screen edges. Livonaction Hookshot is a pure mindfreak in his quest.

Boomerang -> Steer in mid-flight. Like one from Oracle of Seasons.

Boomerang -> Penetrates enemies. Ala BS Zelda Mighty Boomerang.

Magic Wand -> Change magic direction mid-flight. Again from Panoply.

PowerBracelet-> Push multiple blocks simultaneously

Amulet->See completely invisible enemies

Raft->Movement Speed

Flippers->Swim Speed

Candle->Multiple Flames

Magnet N/S

WallClimbing Rope

Spinner

Shovel

Ring->NoKnockback

Ring->NoOwnBombDamage

Ring->NoOwnFireDamage

Ring->AttackModifier

Boots->WalkSpeed

Pegasus Boots + Ancient Stone Tablet (sharp turning while running)

Hoping, it`s not overkill... :sorry:

#29 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

Some more suggestions that has spawned in my mind:
Scripting:
Screen->SecretCombos[] + Screen->SecretFlags[] + Screen->SecretCSets[] read/write. Editing secret combos mid-game as well as checking what combo should be used as replacement on revealing secrets.

Link->SetDeathAnimation. GoreSplode! :twisted:

You may be surprised, but these are on me list. Changing secret combos, and being able to read them, and singularly trigger them, is of course, important. Adding Link sprites is there too, and I want to add a Like falling sprite, a Limk frozen sprite, a Link 'shocked' sprite, and a Link 'on fire; sprite.

I don't know if any of those sprites will happen in this version.

Combo Flags:
Damage64
DamageInstantKill - For those nasty trolls. :twisted:
Dive->DirectWarp - For underwater areas and dungeons
HookshotGrab2&3 - Need advanced hookshot to use (like Ice Hookshot from stdWeapons quest)
QuakeHammer/SuperQuake triggers. Both direct hit and full-screen
BlockScriptWeapon All/#
Spinner rails - straight from Panoply of Calatia
Magnetiс N/S - again from Panoply.
Sideview->Semi-solid
Sideview->Ladder
Sideview-> "/" Stair + "\"Stair

Script weapon blocking is something that I ovrlooked, and it would be a good addition. Combo types are something I will eventually touch, as well. I might add a flagset for weapon level checking, but much of this would not be used commonly-enough that it needs dedicated flags. Putting the switchhook on the list might not have been warranted, for that matter, but its effect differs enough from the other hookshots, that it needs a script flag to work.

I might pull it from the named type list, as it feels a bit self-serving. I have considered adding it as a weapon class though, and having it on the list serves to remind me about that.

I did forget about Quake weapons, didn't I? very well, I'll add something like Quake (unimplemented) in one of the next builds. I want to add internal engine triggers for the secret combos editor for the script types, and I will need to do likewise if I add ice, fire, and electricity.

New items and item attributes:
Hookshot-> Wrap around screen edges. Livonaction Hookshot is a pure mindfreak in his quest.
Boomerang -> Steer in mid-flight. Like one from Oracle of Seasons.
Boomerang -> Penetrates enemies. Ala BS Zelda Mighty Boomerang.
Magic Wand -> Change magic direction mid-flight. Again from Panoply.
PowerBracelet-> Push multiple blocks simultaneously
Amulet->See completely invisible enemies
Candle->Multiple Flames

The hookshot, I probably won't extensively modify. it needs to be rewritten from scratch. I did add a patch so that if the suer sets it to a diagonal direction, it can still latch onto combos, but this may cause other bugs and remains untested. Setting it diagonal, shouldn't actually work, as it can't draw diagonally, but this is a safety check to prevent bugs in quests from scripts improperly setting it.

'Penetrates' might be a good attribute for lweapons in general and may not be too hard to add. I don't know yet if the present -<Range stuff works, and adding more seems silly for scripts. Did you mean adding range to the item editor for magic, and fire? Fire certainly makes sense, as it would make fire rods easy.

I want to add the ice rod.

'Amulet->See completely invisible enemies': This is on the list, as are enemy flag read/write for invisibility (cloaked, or true). I want to move some QRs into the editors. 'Lens reveals invisible enemies', should be an item editor property, IMO. For the present, the FFRules[] array that I'm adding will allow setting / changing / reading appropriate quest rules that relate to some of these events.

Each single rule, will need extensive testing. ...

One thing that I added, that you will like, is Screen->CreateLWeaponDx(int weapon_type, int base_item). This uses some properties from an item, when creating a weapon by script. Bomb explosions, as an example, will use one of the sprites of an item. It may also allow using the this-> pointer, and itemdata, in conjunction with creating any kind of lweapon.

I may add an eweapon variation, although that makes far less sense. I also want to add Game->SetSpriteProperties(int sprite, int tile, int cset, int flash_cset, int aframes, int aspeed, int misctype, bool autoflash, bool 2pflash, bool hflip, bool vflip, bool behind, int name[])

Setting anything to -1 would leave it unchanged.

That would ease sprite handlig, so that you do not need a unique sprite, for everything.

Raft->Movement Speed
Flippers->Swim Speed
Boots->WalkSpeed

These are all problematic, because ZC doesn't use any sane functions to handle movement of any of the Link sprites. I want to set up a way to set a custom ff_link_move-rate timer, and if that is non-zero, use that instead of the system timer.

Magnet N/S
WallClimbing Rope
Spinner

Adding hardcoded items I fell, should be kept to a bare minimum, of only the most popular choices. Every single new item adds cascading layers of complexity to the engine, that only serve to compound existing issues. These three do not seem like something that the engine could handle better than scripts,

Shovel
Ring->NoKnockback
Ring->NoOwnBombDamage
Ring->NoOwnFireDamage
Ring->AttackModifier

The shovel, and a ring to boost the power of weapons seem fine. The weapons that I have considered adding, are the Ice Rod, the Fire Rod, the Shovel, and the Cane of Somaria. I further want to add an 'invincible, except to solid damage combos' flag to the Cane of Byrna.

The bomb/fire damage things are (eventually) going to be item editor flags for items of those classes, individually.

Pegasus Boots + Ancient Stone Tablet (sharp turning while running)

Pegasus booots == any way to modify Link's movement rates. This is on my 'would be nice' list. We must first implement that, before adding stuff like turning. I do question how valuable this would be, as adding this is extensively harder than just making him run. Pegasus boots as an item would need yet another Link sprite, too.

These are the changes since the last post, above:

Spoiler

I might make a TBA engine for the keyboard reading functions, to demonstrate them, but I need to finish std_keyboard.zh and ensure that they work, and that there are easy to use user functions to work with them.

At least I have setLinkTile() working now, and you might note that you should be able to read Link's button presses/inputs from an array now, rather than only individually.

Hoping, it`s not overkill... :sorry:

Not overkill. We always welcome user suggestions, and feeback.

Have you tried any of the betas? I never heard back from you when I commented in your stdWeapons.zh thread. I need to discuss including that with ZC, in the future, and it would be nice to use the new itemdata stuff to set sprites and attributes of items, and to make a user template to fully define a custom item class--which is what I was doing with Phantom.zh, although at the time, I realised that it would not work because itemdata was too limited.

The idea of Phantom, was that if an item has a 'Phantom Defined Class', that any item used by the player of that class would run scripted instructions to control it. CreateLWeaponDx() adds to that this could do, because you can specify an item, and do more things with it.

It's one of the steps to forward things, like item->Misc[] to a weapon.

Anyway, I'd like to see a version of the header where the item editor is used to set up all of the properties, using more appropriate options. Boolean vars can be one of the five flags, you have ten sprites to set, ten Attributes[] values, the D values, the sound, costs, and more, all safely passed to an item script.

You should certainly try it, if you'ven't done that.

I'll see if I can add a piercing boomerang into beta 52, before the public release.

Here is the nightly build, if you want to have a look. if you do, see the Change Log for the new stuff that is not yet in the docs.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 18 January 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#30 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

You know, sideview ladders and sideview swimming seem requested often enough that you could consider making them built-in parts of the engine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fork, New ZC, Version, Beta, Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users