New Classic Enemies Demo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 21 November 2021 - 04:55 PM

Hi! Over the last month or so, I've been drawing a bunch of new enemy tiles for Classic/Cambria, and I wanted to get some feedback on my work so far!

I've made a little demo quest which contains examples of each new enemy:

Nv0yHZj.png

Download Here!

0KEgR7r.png

Here's a longer description of each new enemy.

I am satisfied with most of the graphics, but the Crab and Wolfos are still up for modification. I may entirely redo the Flameslug, as I'm just not satisfied with how it looks in action. I'm open to suggestions for all of the enemies, though! I should note that the Lizalfos and Raven are actually edited from NJF's Bokoblin and Crow, respectively.

Where I really want feedback is on the enemy mechanics. I really like most of what I've come up with, but some of them could be better. The idea is to make something that feels like it could fit right into Zelda 1, but is still new and interesting. In particular, I'm not satisfied with the Wolfos. There may also be some Gibdo/Redead shenanigans that could be thought up.

I could not figure out how to give the Redead (a Like Like type enemy) an "attacking" animation. I also couldn't figure out how to set a timer before one enemy "tribbles" into another, relevant for the Flameslug and the Poe. And also also I encountered a problem where any attack that hit the Chu Chu (mechanically a Vire that doesn't split) would stun him in place permanently. If anyone knows any fixes (as of 2.50.2, at least), please let me know!

edit: Oh! And if anyone has any ideas for other enemies from later games that may be good to have in Classic, I'd love to hear your ideas. These are just the ones that I wanted to see the most, but I'm open to trying my hand at drawing others.

Edited by Geoffrey, 21 November 2021 - 05:53 PM.

• Shane, Sheik, Moosh and 3 others like this

#2 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 November 2021 - 10:23 AM

I think,  Flameslug should be vulnerable to ice-based weapons, like Ice Rod and it`s magic.

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 November 2021 - 10:58 AM

Very cool, I like them all! :)

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 22 November 2021 - 06:15 PM

Sprites are all very cool and the test quest is nice and polished. I actually really like the crabs even though you said they're unfinished. I think the chuchu looks a little silly with the plain smiley face, but then again it's a chuchu. Goofy is what they do.

In terms of behavior I think you've done well enough for the tools you had. The enemy editor doesn't really do much in the way of presentation but just the added visual diversity is cool. Tribble timers being fixed is just a limitation of the editor. And the vire thing I'm pretty sure is a bug in 2.50. They don't seem to take knockback at all in 2.55 though, which is a rather extreme measure.

#5 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 23 November 2021 - 07:18 PM

I think,  Flameslug should be vulnerable to ice-based weapons, like Ice Rod and it`s magic.

I completely agree! Unfortunately, I'm stuck on 2.50.2, the last build released for Linux, and so I don't have access to anything introduced in the last six years. :(

Sprites are all very cool and the test quest is nice and polished. I actually really like the crabs even though you said they're unfinished. I think the chuchu looks a little silly with the plain smiley face, but then again it's a chuchu. Goofy is what they do.

In terms of behavior I think you've done well enough for the tools you had. The enemy editor doesn't really do much in the way of presentation but just the added visual diversity is cool. Tribble timers being fixed is just a limitation of the editor. And the vire thing I'm pretty sure is a bug in 2.50. They don't seem to take knockback at all in 2.55 though, which is a rather extreme measure.

Thanks! I agree that the Chu Chu looks ridiculous, but do you remember what they looked like in MM? :P I do kinda want to try one based on the WW Chu Chu and see how it turns out, for comparison. The crab went through like four revisions before I found something that stood out from the background enough but also looked Classic enough, so I'm glad to hear that you like it. Too bad about the limitations/bugs, but I guess they work well enough.

Very cool, I like them all! :)

:D

#6 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:23 PM

I completely agree! Unfortunately, I'm stuck on 2.50.2, the last build released for Linux, and so I don't have access to anything introduced in the last six years. :(

Thanks! I agree that the Chu Chu looks ridiculous, but do you remember what they looked like in MM? :P I do kinda want to try one based on the WW Chu Chu and see how it turns out, for comparison. The crab went through like four revisions before I found something that stood out from the background enough but also looked Classic enough, so I'm glad to hear that you like it. Too bad about the limitations/bugs, but I guess they work well enough.

:D

Saffith has compiled 2.55 for Linux, albeit without sound. If you're willong to accept that I'm sure he could do it again one Alpha 100 releases ("soon").

#7 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:51 PM

Saffith has compiled 2.55 for Linux, albeit without sound. If you're willong to accept that I'm sure he could do it again one Alpha 100 releases ("soon").

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure he did this because I brought it up, but I didn't notice. Thanks for letting me know!

#8 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:52 PM

Could you please do us a favour and make these enemies?

-Deku Scrubs (Z1 Octorok edit)

-Deku Scrubs (4-way Perspective Octorok edit)

tTkZAx1.png

-Real Bombchu (Majora's Mask, not the toy Oracles bombchu)

I forgot to say, I made some deku seeds but am having trouble with the scrubs.

Edited by P-Tux7, 01 December 2021 - 03:55 PM.

#9 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 13 December 2021 - 06:45 PM

tTkZAx1.png

I'll do my best, Mr. Bossman.

#10 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 26 December 2021 - 05:40 PM

tTkZAx1.png

Here are some Rats and Bombchus (as well as an unfinished Armos 2):

J9iSASf.png

I have the Rat set up to work like a really weak Rope, also vulnerable to the Boomerang. The Bombchu has two variants, one blue with a regular blast, the other red with a super blast.

Also included in that sheet are slight updates to the Bokoblin, Miniblin, and Redead, all of which have now have noses in side profile! I may change my mind again, however, on the Redead, and revert him to his noseless state. Also also the Chu Chu now tribbles back and forth between a vulnerable, hopping state and an invulnerable state, as in Wind Waker.

I'm having some trouble with the Deku Scrub, but I intend to try my hand at it again.

Edited by Geoffrey, 26 December 2021 - 05:42 PM.

• Shane likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users