Photo

Super Mario Bros. movie officially confirmed

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:05 PM

https://twitter.com/...878633652731904

This is the studio that made Despicable Me but also created the Minions and made that awful Lorax adaptation. So my feelings are lukewarm.

• Rambly, Mitsukara and strike like this

#2 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

At long last, the sequel we've all been waiting for! Too bad they'll have to recast Bob Hoskins.

• Rambly, Cukeman and Deedee like this

#3 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

Oh boy, it's going to be made by Illumination studios. This does not bode well.

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

It'll at least look nice. I would've preferred a more reputable studio that isn't known for a one-hit wonder, but at least their visuals are well-done. Again though, lukewarm.

#5 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

Cautiously optimistic. At least Nintendo has partial control over it. Illumination isn't exactly Dreamworks or Disney, but I don't mind a couple things they've made.

#6 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:40 AM

I mean, as much of an disgusting unwanted abomination the Minions were, Despicable Me (both of them) were some real good shit. If the Mario movie is more Despicable Me and less like it's unholy hellspawn, then I think we're in the clear.

#7 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:55 AM

I mean, as much of an disgusting unwanted abomination the Minions were, Despicable Me (both of them) were some real good shit. If the Mario movie is more Despicable Me and less like it's unholy hellspawn, then I think we're in the clear.

There're three Despicable Mes.

A quick Wikipedia search for Chris Meledandri (the co-producer in the tweet) shows he also did Ice Age and Robots, so I'm a little optimistic.

#8 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:19 AM

I only liked Despicable Me 1. The others were unholy spawns of Satan.

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

I just hope the plot isn't "Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach."

I get way more than enough of that in the games.

#10 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, we need more cities, dinosaurs, alternate dimensions and hellscapes!

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 02 February 2018 - 01:53 AM.

• Mitsukara and Gleeok like this

#11 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

at 99,999999 % the story will be that...

i hope that instead Mario,Bowser and Peach will  join the forces for fight a new and  common enemy ( like in  Mario RPG ) 

• Anthus likes this

#12 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, we need more cities, dinosaurs, alternate dimensions and hellscapes!

And tiny-headed mobster goons.

In all seriousness, perhaps John Carter (2012) will finally be surpassed as the best Mario movie I've seen. (I do sort of like the Mario movie, but John Carter is more like Mario than the Super Mario Bros movie in much the same way that The Fifth Element is more like Final Fantasy than the Final Fantasy movie).

Edited by Mitsukara, 02 February 2018 - 10:08 AM.

#13 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

lol

I do like John Carter quite a lot. Good movie. I wish they'd done better marketing so we'd get sequels. Same with Oz the Great and Powerful.

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

I've been thinking about this for a few days, and I ultimately think it's going to be dumb. Why? For one, it is going to obviously be geared towards kids. That's not bad, but pair that with the fact that Mario has virtually no story, and Mario has virtually no character. Plus, these are the guys that made Minions. I know it's been said to death on every corner of the internet, but come on! Might as well ask Acclaim if they can use the LJN logo on their next big game, if that's how they are going to treat their most popular IP. Illumination has made one half way decent movie, and a bunch of ill received ones (critically, not commercially).

How are they going to fill 90+ minutes of screen time with something worth while in such a lore-less world? A world wherein story is dead last? A world with no character progression, or development*? A world that was made entirely with the purpose of being a setting for a video game? They won't. They can't. The two don't mix as story telling mediums, and I don't think they ever will. Plus, "Hollywood" pisses me off with their attitude towards gaming. They are elitists, that think film is the only way to go, and games are "just games". Video game movies have been historically awful, and there is a reason for that. The only franchise I could see working as a film, is MGS, but I digress.

I mean, I hope it is good. I hope they go more Mario Sunshine with the story, rather than retread the whole Bowser kidnaps Peach. But, this movie just reeks of playing it safe, so we'll see. I think it will be commercially successful for sure, but I don't think older fans of Mario will find much to like about it. I'll have trouble looking at it as anything short of a cash grab. Mario has never been about story, or presenting a believable world. It is at its core essence, a video game. At the very least, I hope it uses as many characters as possible. My worst fear though is instead of speaking, we get Minion style racist sounding Italian gibberish with sub titles. And, if Illumination wants to add an OC, then I'm out for sure.

Prove me wrong, Nintendo.

* Okay, there are the RPG spin-offs, but I'm talking about core Mario games, which this will more than likely be based off of. Plus, even in the RPG spin-offs, Mario still has the personality of a paper towel dispenser; it's everyone around him telling the story. Works fine in games, but a movie? Can you imagine if Luke Skywalker, or Indiana Jones, or fuckin' Cititzen Kane were silent? I didn't think so. :P

tl;dr: Nintendo is teaming up with the guys that made Minions. These truly are the end times.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

The film turns out to just be a speedrun of Mario Odyssey but without skipping the cutscenes.

• Adem likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users