Photo

Super Mario Odyssey

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Surprised this wasn't made yet.

But we finally get a new sandbox Mario after the last two experimental 3D Mario games followed the traditional platformer style a bit more. And... it could be great. I'm wondering what kind of MacGuffins we'll be going after instead of stars, but the worlds look interesting, unique, and fun, though Mario in a realistic city is almost jarring. Good thing the other environments offset that.

So when Miyamoto said there'd be a new Mario game to show off at E3, he was right. And I can't wait to see more, because now all I have is talking about how swanky Bowser is in that suit.

#2 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

It looks so weird but fun. Parkour-ing around New York City as Mario has never crossed my mind before, but now that I'm seeing it, it makes so much sense. 

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

The more traditional Mario elements look fun, and the city looks just cheesy enough in the Sonic Adventure style to be endearing. I'm optimistic. It's about time we got a new traditional 3D Mario.
  • Anthus, nicklegends, The Satellite and 2 others like this

#4 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

I'll be the one to say the obvious thing that's gonna become a broken record before long. Seeing him in the city really gets my hackles up. It just looks wrong, and out of spirit both with the Mario series as a whole, and even internally inconsistent with the rest of this game. Seeing him with realistic elements like cars, next to all these beautiful cartoonish and colorful landscapes just looks wrong. The style clash between the city and everything else is incredibly jarring, and I'd be a whole lot more excited if the city wasn't the hub world (or in it at all).

I'm sure I'll become just part of the annoying chorus of naysayers saying this exact same point.

• Neppy, Shane, strike and 2 others like this

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

I won't actually disagree, as I hinted at in the first post. Honestly I think I'll just look at it as a bit of fanservice ("I've always wondered what Mario in a city would be like") and maybe a throwback to Mario's Brooklyn origins, if that's even still canon.

Here's a note that I think I like though.

#6 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

What's not to love? It's the sequel to Mario is Missing we've been waiting for!
  • Anthus, The Satellite, Aevin and 1 other like this

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

I was about to make a thread :P

But this game looks pretty legit. I'm glad to hear we're getting a more SM64/ Sunshine style game. I loved 3D World, but this really feels new. The hat hopping mechanic looks fun too. As far as the city setting, it doesn't really bother me that much. My first thought though was, "Omg is this Mario is Missing 2? Is LUIGI MISSING?!" Agreed though, that a realistic city does feel a tad odd in a game with a low-poly candy world. I'm excited for the variety of levels though.

Sorry for being unable to make a coherent post, I'm just so excited.

EDIT: Ninja'd, but glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. :P

#8 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

After they got past New York City, I thought it looked more like Super Mario's Wacky Worlds for the CD-i finally came out. But Mario is Missing is a fair comparison.

#9 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

The city does look jarring. I think if it had literally just been populated by toads it would be a lot more stylistically consistent. That would be all it would take. I think it's the human element more than the modern city element that makes it jarring.

-Strike
  • Neppy, Shane and coolgamer012345 like this

#10 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

All I have to say is Bowser. Just... wow.

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

We always knew Bowser was gangster af

#12 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

I dunno what's more jarring. Mario running around a city or Final Fantasy characters on one big road trip.

All I have to say is Bowser. Just... wow.

Bowser is my favourite thing about this trailer. Lol

That poster of Bowser and Peach. Lol "Bowser and Peach: Royal Wedding" She looks like she's being kidnapped. Reality tv has surely changed.

The Bachelor: Kidnap Your New Wife Edition!
  • Anthus likes this

#13 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

Pretty much what some others above said, Mario running around in a realistic city looks jarring and distracting. The parts in what seems to be the levels look actually pretty cool though.

#14 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Bowser is my favourite thing about this trailer. Lol

Oh yeah, for sure. I always felt like Bowser needed some changes. That gangsta suit looks great on him!

#15 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

I, for one, am going to love playing Sonic Mario '06 '17.

Edited by thepsynergist, 13 January 2017 - 08:15 PM.

• Anthus and coolgamer012345 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users