Photo

Screenshot of the Week 576

Lunaria ywkls Joelmacool TheRock

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 576 (55 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

I voted for Joelmacool's shot because it was the only one that wasn't dominated by brown and I still hate brown for some reason

Okay I'll give some real commentary this time because I usually just say "that person's shot was good" and leave it at that.  Have some REAL-ASS COMMENTARY:

Lunaria: I don't particularly love this screen like most other people seem to.  It feels busy.  I don't like the amount or placement of enemies (I get that it's from an actual quest, but seeing enemies overlap each other at all just bugs me) and I feel like it's overdetailed and cramped.  It probably doesn't need as much pebble-y detail when the dirty ground is already textured, and I feel like the whole mountain range at the bottom could be moved down vertically a tile and the screen would feel like it had way more room to breathe.  Plus, I hate the palette.  Part of it is because it has the same problems with oversaturation most EZGBZ-derived screens have (see below), part of it is because it feels monochromatic (just reddish-brown, brownish-brown, and red), and part of it is because I just don't like brown all that much.

Or it could just be that people want to capture the aesthetics of the GBC games? I mean, like it or not, those games DID have these errors. Plus, the oracle games totally have these bright red mountain boarders, so idk.

The game designers made the mountain borders (and colors in general) very intensely saturated in the ROM data to compensate for the Game Boy Color's LCD, which was pale and pastelly.  The only reason the extreme saturation of the games' colors in general has been reinforced in the ZC community is because whoever made the original Game Boy tilesets ripped the colors straight from the ROM, not accounting or adjusting for how it looked on the actual game screen. So no, the games didn't really have those bright red mountain borders, it was always an oversight on behalf of tileset creators.  I don't really have a problem with the other tile errors, though, those were definitely a part of the game and if you're going for authenticity then w/e

ywkls: The background tile is nice, but it's a little monotonous and could stand to be broken up a bit, I guess.  It does feel very Super Metroid-y, though.  I'm sorry, I wish I had more to say about this shot.

Joelmacool: I like this one.  It's a standard EZGBZ shot, but it's a good one.  The overall tile placement is pretty much perfect, the contrasting of different aesthetics is cool (grassy, dirty, beachy), the palette works fine, and the color balancing is perfect (it has occasional extra colors but still emphasizes a few main colors: green, tan, blue.)  It does have the "neon borders", I guess, but they're not that bad here: The shot itself is bright and the borders don't stick out like a sore thumb quite as much, and the palette as a whole has been softened.

TheRock: I don't know why, but I like this one, too.  It's a little on the bland side, and monochromatic and brown (again!?), but at least the colors are pleasant to look at and the windy minecart tracks and lil maze on the left are fun to see.  The actual floor detailing is okay, but the upper-left corner is all one solid color and it could use some extra detail (if that even exists in Firebird).  The Game Boy ropes stick out like a sore thumb, though.  I don't blame you entirely cuz Firebird doesn't have a full enemy tile sheet (IIRC?  I could be wrong), but... yea . . .

Bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Rambly, 13 September 2016 - 06:42 PM.

• Joelmacool likes this

#17 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:20 PM

With 54.17% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 576 is Lunaria!

Lunaria.png

Congratulations!

Voting totals:

- Lunaria (26 votes [54.17%])

- ywkls (4 votes [8.33%])
- Joelmacool (12 votes [25.00%])
- TheRock (6 votes [12.50%])

• Mani Kanina likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lunaria, ywkls, Joelmacool, TheRock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users