• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

Hey, guys.

Is it possible to use Link Tile Modifiers to have an 8-bit color Link?

I'm using Pure DoR but having recolored Firebird Link. Which of course screws the entire Palette switching rings to the point where Link gets the Red Ring of Undead or something, 'cause he's completely grey.

But I thought maybe I could use LTMs to have the ring palette not be a cset change? And still use shields?

I see what you Firebird geniuses did with the differently-colored hat / tunic and wanted to do something like that, but maybe have the hat be the same color until Link gets a certain upgrade (or, doesn't, if he chooses to get different upgrades.)

Lots of tile pages? Okay, I'm prepared for that. Math? I can do it to figure out the Tile numbers and such. Rearranging Csets? I'm out.

I'm PRETTY sure this is the harder way to go about this, but I really am scared of screwing these palettes up.

My question is... if the Tile Modifiers change the point of reference for all Link *sprites*, Whats the best way to set them up for different combinations of Ring / Shield / Hat? Even if these changes are merely a few pixels, it might save a lot of Active Subscreen space, which is worth it.

(If it makes it easier, I really want to have the GB Shield script too, but I don't know what to do to implement that. But at least that way theres a big black line between "weapons and tools" (active use) vs "Equipment" (wearable, passive status / movement upgrades).

I'm pretty sure Moosh isn't going to like me wanting help changing my list of scripts to another tileset...again :-(

Oh, which reminds me... I'm making headway reorganizing the Pure DoR set for 2.5. Anyone willing to help me with it a bit?

Oh, one more thing. A little birdy on FB told me that Radien's computer is fixed. Which is great news for the community. Just a heads up. :-)

Edited by Reflectionist, 22 January 2018 - 09:36 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:49 PM

Link can be 8-bit (with or without tile modifiers), just remember his colors won't change when he's hit. You can make him flicker though. Any colors in CSet 6 will still change to the colors in the ring palettes when you get the respective ring. Level-dependent colors will change too.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#3 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:56 PM

I can deal with the flickering, no problem.

What's the second thing? Does that mean I can still have the rings change NPCs, like how Princess Zelda was in Z1?

I could definitely play with that. I'm hoping to use Moosh's NPC script and have a hidden "Story-token" item that the NPC script checks for... that way, I can have a linear story progression back in the village for Link to check in on between non-linear / dungeon romps throughout the overworld proper. :-)

EDIT - Crap. If I do have Link be 8-bit, do I need to have a special item that changes Link to a "darker" palette for "darker" screens? I was planning on putting a "night" copy of my village... it would work like Skyward Sword. But if Link is still bright and-- Layer 5. Transparent. Artificial night, covers sprite level. Never mind.

Edited by Reflectionist, 23 January 2018 - 12:04 AM.

#4 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

What's the second thing? Does that mean I can still have the rings change NPCs, like how Princess Zelda was in Z1?

Yeah. CSet 6 will change globally; anything using it will be affected.

EDIT - Crap. If I do have Link be 8-bit, do I need to have a special item that changes Link to a "darker" palette for "darker" screens?

Unless Link is drawn entirely from colors in the level palette, you'll need another item for that. That would be true with 4-bit Link as well.
You could theoretically do it with palette cycling, but that's harder to set up and wouldn't respect different ring colors.

#5 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:00 PM

Aye, hopefully the torch transparency thing works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users