Photo

Well, I might as well fear the worst.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe that I have lost a dear piece of technology last night.

My 512 MB Cruzer Mini has stopped working--the light stays on, but the comp refuses to recognize and read it; not even Autoplay or any kind of notification of new hardware comes up. So what was important on it? It held the most current version of NZTS and the updated Project Town, along with a large collection of game music and other things.

Although I did notice that there was points of the computer near freezing last night, and what I tried to do probably made it worse.

However, all is not lost. I had backed up some files and folders yesterday, but some did not make it. One such folder was called "Stash", which held most of my ZC stuff; it wasn't backed up, and I lost a few months' work. But that work can be saved quickly; I have images of most of the new additions, so it can become more like the recent save. I might be eligible for a new flash drive; I've heard that SanDisk is receiving similar reports, and they are giving out new ones in return.

If anyone knows how to recover the files in such a way, please let me know. I don't feel like calling/e-mailing Tech Support immediately.

#2 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

I better be careful! I have one of those too! icon_eek.gif

#3 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

I feel bad for you, but I don't think it is as bad as losing your 80 GB portable hard drive. Yes I lost it. It had a bunch of my music on it. All of my Fire Emblem Emulator stuff(Me love FE). A LOT of my ZC stuff(although I hadn't used it in a while. In total I had 30 GB used up already, and I lost all of it. It sucked.

#4 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

That blows, big time.

Hope you get a new one. Try for a gig if you can afford it.
And save your most important ZC stuff in another location as well. =x

#5 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(Exate @ Jul 10 2007, 02:57 PM) View Post

Hope you get a new one. Try for a gig if you can afford it.
And save your most important ZC stuff in another location as well. =x

I had originally planned to get a gigabyte flash drive soon anyway--I was deleting things just to put some stuff in there anyways...

#6 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

oh, I'm reminded...

Sometimes, excessive use of the Cruzer Micro flash drive in one session leads to overheating. At least, this is the case with my experience.

#7 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

Wow.. Must be an epidimic lately, because I think one of my 250Gb external drives is dying on me. It kept making clicking noises the other day when I was trying to write to it. Good thing I have a second external that was able to hold everything from the first one after deleting about 50gb of worthless crap. I dunno if its actually goin dead on me, but all tests seem to run fine on it, so i'm hoping for the best with it.

#8 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:01 AM

All disks can fail - if anything is important to you, make a backup in at least 2 locations: for instance, your main HD and on a flash drive.

#9 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

I'm only aware of one free file recovery program that's worth using: PC Inspector File Recovery. Hopefully, that'll do it.

Edited by Saffith, 14 July 2007 - 03:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users