Photo

Screenshot of the Week 94

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick your favorite screenshot. (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick your favorite screenshot.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:47 AM

Wow... sometimes the dam just breaks and everybody enters, eh? icon_eek.gif

Comix:

Uh.... this is the first time I've seen someone enter SOTW with a screen that displays 5 tiles, total. ^^;

Freedom:

A new project I see. Everything about this shot is great except for the colors. I really don't like that palette.

Gashin:

Ahh, a very subdued shot. How much of this one is custom-drawn? It's very good. icon_smile.gif I kinda wish there was a little more to it, though. Like an enemy, an item, a puzzle, or even just a trigger... The sunbeams are perfect, though. icon_thumbsup.gif

Jonathan:

Not as much shading, but it still covers 1/3rd of the screen. icon_shrug.gif Where are all these huge shadows COMING from?... icon_eek.gif You'd need a really tall, wide stone tower to cast that a shadow that big and solid... Putting straight black on a translucent layer darkens things quite a bit. You might consider lightening the color of the shadows you use outdoors, either in the palette or the tile editor.

Khaz:

This screen is perhaps a bit too simple, but otherwise there's nothing else to improve on here. icon_smile.gif Looks like a very solid quest you're building. The tiles you're using seem to be more and more Megaman-ish.

Linkus Mastii:

Ooh... I sense a new contender here. Those are some nice mountains ya got there. Some of your artwork might do with some smoothing out, but I can see you are on your way to becoming a VERY good tile artist. icon_smile.gif I especially like the brush right above Link. New ideas = innovation.

PX8:

Ooh... now THAT is a nice palette! icon_eek.gif Why did you feel the need to change it?... It looks great as it is in your original. The blue matches the blue of the ice. You could always make it slightly more grayish blue. Snow really does have a slight bluish tint to it, even if video games often exaggerate it a little.

Anyway, palettes are often the only thing I dislike about your overworld SOTW entries, so when I see a palette like this, paired with cool subscreen graphics and solid tiles, I must vote for it. icon_smile.gif Great job!

Shoelace:

Using traps as thwomps... clever. icon_wink.gif Well, this is a well-done Pure screen; nothing more and nothing less. Incidentally, I'm not sure whether a side-scroller entry has ever won SOTW... Possibly because there aren't as many tiles at one's disposal when one makes a side-scroller screen.

Tobias Daboi:

Uh... what exactly is that ? icon_odd.gif A custom boss, you said, but anyway that was my initial reaction. Perhaps we could appreciate this shot better if we knew what it was when we looked at it. This reminds me of when Majora's Mask came out, and I didn't think it looked good at all, because the screenshots they released first were psychadelic and unidentifiable at first glance.

Anyway, my vote goes to X8 this time. Gashin came close by entering his usual awesomeness, but I see PolygonX8's as being solid in all the areas I usually "grade" on when voting.

#32 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 11 2005, 11:47 PM)
Gashin:

Ahh, a very subdued shot. How much of this one is custom-drawn? It's very good. icon_smile.gif I kinda wish there was a little more to it, though. Like an enemy, an item, a puzzle, or even just a trigger... The sunbeams are perfect, though. icon_thumbsup.gif

well, I would have sent in the updated version (item, trigger, and perspective on the pedestal), but it was just a bit too late. thanks for the comments, though

#33 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:08 AM

I voted for Jonathan. I liked the shadowing, and totally loved the castle part of the shot. Good stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

#34 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:17 AM

I nulled.. too many great shots this week. >_<

#35 Jonathan

Jonathan

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:47 AM

Gashin 40.82% (20)
Jonathan 40.82% (20)
this is a close one,what fun icon_razz.gif

icon_lol.gif if Gashin keeps entering il have to take this alittle more seriously,this is the best SoTW since ive been back

il work harder for the next one instead of doin it the day before its due

#36 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE(Jonathan @ Jul 12 2005, 09:47 AM)
il work harder for the next one instead of doin it the day before its due

Please do! I think Gashin has won too many times... icon_razz.gif

#37 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE(Gashin @ Jul 11 2005, 10:54 PM)
well, I would have sent in the updated version (item, trigger, and perspective on the pedestal), but it was just a bit too late. thanks for the comments, though

Okay, cool. Admittedly, suggesting improvements for your shots is like suggesting they add water to the ocean, but.... icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(Petoe @ Jul 12 2005, 12:24 AM)
Please do! I think Gashin has won too many times...  icon_razz.gif

Possibly, but I think he deserves it. I don't mind staying at 3rd place if he's the one holding 2nd.

#38 Jonathan

Jonathan

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

Please do! I think Gashin has won too many times...
well Petoe i seem to recall you being quite good in SoTW,why not enter and have alittle fun,show us what you can do
or mabye you are afraid icon_lol.gif no mabye not
Petoe is back in business designing 2 new quests and releasing 1 MM tileset soon.
show us some eye candy
>.> namly me id really like some non-pure tileset stuff
im quite anxious to see what youve been doin since ive been gone icon_razz.gif

#39 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(Jonathan @ Jul 12 2005, 06:11 PM)
well Petoe i seem to recall you being quite good in SoTW,why not enter and have alittle fun,show us what you can do
or mabye you are afraid icon_lol.gif no mabye not
Petoe is back in business designing 2 new quests and releasing 1 MM tileset soon.
show us some eye candy
>.> namly me id really like some non-pure tileset stuff
im quite anxious to see what youve been doin since ive been gone icon_razz.gif

Are you sure you want to see my screenies? [arrogant mode]They're too good to be true, you're not ready for them yet![/arrogant mode]

Heh but no really, I've been gone the last 6 months as well so I haven't done any work on those 2 quests in a long time. And the prettier one is still in the early stages of developement so unfortunately I won't show any shots from it in a long time, I'm just like Nintendo I guess... so secretive about stuff. icon_shrug.gif

(But I will, of course, release the tileset of the quest when the quest's done, but probably no one believes me since the MMDWR set is over an year late and still not released... icon_sweat.gif

Edited by Petoe, 12 July 2005 - 12:56 PM.

#40 Alex Trenton

Alex Trenton

• Members

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:27 AM

Im going to have to go with Jonathan's.(yes again)

I don't care if they are riped or not.
They kick so much ass, to me.

Love the shadeing to Jonathan, top knotch.

#41 mudvayne

mudvayne

Junior

• Members

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:17 AM

gashin! i vote for gashin! i love tree dungeons! icon_wink.gif the other shots are all beautiful! many colors, and best graphics! very good work!

#42 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:45 PM

Jonathan Wins SotW 94. Congratulations!

SotW 95 will star tomorrow.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#43 fatdude

fatdude

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:09 AM

good Work JONATHAN....

#44 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE(Radien)
PX8:
Ooh... now THAT is a nice palette!  Why did you feel the need to change it?... It looks great as it is in your original. The blue matches the blue of the ice. You could always make it slightly more grayish blue. Snow really does have a slight bluish tint to it, even if video games often exaggerate it a little.

I'm more partial to the gray than the blue, and it still has a bit of a blue shade on my end. icon_razz.gif 'course, I could probably make it more blue and have it come out well!

#45 Moldorm

Moldorm

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:12 AM

Gashin,you amaze me! You got my vote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users