Big Link

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:22 AM

Uhm, how do I use the larger Link setup?

Thanks,
Lotus

#2 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:52 AM

When choosing the tiles for link, press X once to make him taller, or X twice to have 32x32 link.

#3 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:53 AM

When selecting the Link tiles, press x once for a 16x32 link (one more tile vertically, pick the bottom as your tile), and press x again for 32x32 Link (don't worry, it will be centered automatically), and be sure that the "Big Link hit box" is unchecked, as it is very buggy. If you leave it unchecked, then the change will be just graphical, which (in my opinion) makes more sense as it makes it appear as it Link's head is on a layer above everything else, other than laying flat on teh ground.

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:46 AM

Lotus Eater! Long time no post. icon_smile.gif Good to see you dropping by again.

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ May 29 2006, 11:53 PM)
be sure that the "Big Link hit box" is unchecked, as it is very buggy. If you leave it unchecked, then the change will be just graphical, which (in my opinion) makes more sense as it makes it appear as it Link's head is on a layer above everything else, other than laying flat on teh ground.

View Post

You may have discovered some bugs I have not noticed, but I wanted to point out that the Big Link hitbox makes Link "fatter" when dealing with walk flags, so you will have to alter all narrow walkway combos in your tileset, making the walkable space at least one 16x16 tile thick. You'll also need to redesign any areas that require Link to squeeze into such narrow areas. This itself is not a bug; it's just a necessity.

And a warning: if you use big Link tiles without the Big Link hitbox, Link's head will probably start going under treetops and other such low overhead layered objects. This itself is not strange for Zelda games (try playing Minish Cap), but in a tileset that doesn't account for it, it can look quite bad.

#5 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:27 AM

The 16x32 Link appears to actually be 16x28; I tried using some sprites of the cloaked character in my current avatar with beta 10b, but the top four pixels on the upper tiles would not appear at all, even with nothing on above layers that could possibly block my view of the character.

Edited by Espilan, 30 May 2006 - 03:27 AM.

#6 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:31 AM

Yeah, Jman and/or Koopa are fixing that. Turns out that when you use 32x32 link and use the hookshot the same thing happens.

#7 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:16 AM

Radien,
I suggest serious testing if your going to use the big hitbox at this point.
I couldn't get him to go through any 16x16 east/west doorways, or passageways.

Edited by Freedom, 30 May 2006 - 10:24 AM.

#8 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

OK, then do I have to set up the tile differently? Or can I put them where I want to and then just define the Link tile locations?

Anyways Radien, I have been trying to keep up to date, but most of my interest lately has been in wargaming and an online game called Stendhal, I was doing GFX work for it (not so much now as I got bored). I will probably use those same graphics and maybe some other new stuff to design a quest that I can use to mearly relearn everything. I won't ever finish it, but I'll give it a go.
I tend to hop from project to project never finishing any of them (yes I have ADHD, pretty severe too) but I always learn something cool.

The theory behind my sample quest is to recreate a section of Seiken Densetsu 3, the area that goes to Rolante for those curious. I'll have to learn how to do palletes, how to make it so when you hit switches things move, how to have freeform dungeons. And also how to make it so when you activate something on the overworld, a different section of the overworld changes. basically all the stuff that I never really got around to learning. Firstly I have to redesign the graphics I'll need. The SD3 GFX are too complex, while the Zelda GFX are too simply, it'll have to be about halfway. I am going to draw them by hand scan then size and color them to make them work I think I'll go make a thread and try to explain step by step about the theory behind the quest and do updates showing how I am designing stuff and so on. It'll be helpful not only for me, but for other people who have problems quest building as well. Though if people read the thread, they'll be able to play the quest in their head without having to even try the quest. But it'll be for my own health more than other peoples.
So any new tutorials come out lately that may be helpful?

#9 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:19 AM

are they going to extend the biglink tiles to 16x32? Because right now it's 16x27

#10 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, I noticed my sprites head got whacked off, kinda frustrating. It looks like I am pausing again till it gets fixed. Also if you use 32x32 you have to center your sprite oddly, not sure how yet though.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:43 PM

Freedom:

Rest assurred, fully implementing Big Link for me would mean extensive testing all-around. I'm not doing it yet.

Lotus Eater:

Sounds interesting. icon_smile.gif Good luck with your project.

To use the wide Link tiles, each tile has to be centered exactly as it would be if it were one tile, but "bleed" out 8 pixels on the left and right, into the neighboring tiles. This means that every other tile will contain pieces from two different Link frames.

Y'know, I think it's about time someone ripped and implemented all of the LTTP Link tiles into a 2.11 version of the LTTP tileset. I'm considering doing so, because people need a working example, badly.

...Currently debating whether this thread should be moved to ZQuest Editor Help...

#12 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

This belongs in Zquest Editor Help. I will move it there for ya.

*moves*

#13 Legendary_Goriya

Legendary_Goriya

Junior

• Members

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

Can the same be done with regular tiles?

#14 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

Legendary_Goriya, please don't post in a thread that's over two months old. It's called Gravedigging. Rather, feel free to just start a new thread.

I know, I know, posting in a thread that already has all the general info seems better, but there are rules against gravedigging, and if everyone started breaking them, the forums would erupt into such chaos...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users