• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:36 PM

CHEERS, MATES!  :slycool: 

I don't wanna ingratiate myself, but I want to tell ya'll how much I love this site and the members.
Last year, when I joined the community, I didn't expect to meet so many hepful, friendly and competent people.
PureZC quickly became my most visited site.

I was a noob, with no idea what amazing things can be done with ZClassic/Zquest.
...but nobody has ever been shaming or bashing me, because of my stupid questions or anything else.

There are so many things you tought me.
I still have a lot to learn and I am glad that I always can ask you.

THANKS!!!  :love: 

Edited by Bagu, 09 October 2020 - 06:59 AM.

• ShadowTiger, Magi_Hero, Anthus and 10 others like this

#2 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 07 October 2020 - 10:35 PM

It's always nice to see newcomers to the site, so I'm glad your experience with the members of our community has been a positive one.

Excited to see what you contribute in your time here!

• ShadowTiger, Anthus, Matthew and 1 other like this

#3 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for your nice reply.

My current projects already took a lot of time and they're still unfinished.
But I keep working on 'em, almost everyday.

Also, there are so many quests in the database that I want to play..

...btw, the database is one more reason why I love this site so much.
Scripts, music, tiles and Quests... simply fantastic.
I always dig out something intressting, when I have a look at it
and I'm happy to share my own stuff with other users.

Edited by Bagu, 08 October 2020 - 09:15 AM.

• ShadowTiger, Anthus, Eddy and 1 other like this

#4 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

Und wir lieben dich auch  :love:

• Anthus and Bagu like this

#5 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:34 PM

Und wir lieben dich auch  :love:

Hey :)
Kommst du aus Deutschland?

• Anthus likes this

#6 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 15 October 2020 - 05:47 PM

Hey :)
Kommst du aus Deutschland?

Nein, Chicago. Ich habe nur vier jahre in schule Deutsch gelernt. Aber das war vor zwanzig Jahren, so unfortunately, you're better off still talking to me in English because your English is likely much better than my German  :P

I haven't actually visited Germany, though I would like to. I came close when I visited Paris in 2015 as part of a college study-abroad class, but we had a very tight schedule, and were only allowed to roam freely for a few hours on a few days - and were certainly not allowed to leave the country!

I did talk to a few native Germans on the Metra though.

What's amusing is that knowing some German did serve me well in Paris. There were lots of salespeople on the street who were very good at recognizing tourists and trying to sell them overpriced and unnecessary items. They thought they were being smart when they saw me and started talking English, but when I responded in German, I was able to confuse most of them into going away and moving on to the next person. I might have thought that people in Paris would be more familiar with the languages of their neighboring countries, but it seems German is a language much less popular than English is over there.

• Twilight Knight and Bagu like this

#7 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:14 AM

(...)

What's amusing is that knowing some German did serve me well in Paris. There were lots of salespeople on the street who were very good at recognizing tourists and trying to sell them overpriced and unnecessary items. They thought they were being smart when they saw me and started talking English, but when I responded in German, I was able to confuse most of them into going away and moving on to the next person.

This is pretty genius :)

I learned my first english lessons, when I played ZELDA 1, when I was 8 years old.
I got myself an english-german dictionary from the local library and had to translate almost every single word.
...but yeah, ZELDA tought me english.  :)

btw...

The first Zelda game, which has also been released in a german version, was ALttP.

Edited by Bagu, 18 October 2020 - 01:37 PM.

#8 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:21 AM

THANKS!!!  :love: 

And thank you for your uplifting posts and awesome ZC content!

but nobody has ever been shaming or bashing me

But may I shame you for using Comic Sans?  :teehee: 

They thought they were being smart when they saw me and started talking English, but when I responded in German

Some friends and I tried the same with an annoying merchant selling his own CDs once here in the Netherlands. He was approaching everyone in a busy pub street, could see him coming miles away. It was clear even from a distance he was very persistent, most certainly annoying. Once he got closer we noticed he was talking either Dutch or English to the people around us, and we really didn't want to deal with this moron at all.

We decided to talk German to him, for surely he wouldn't understand us and leave us alone. And yes, there he was at our table, his next prey. But after saying "Guten tag" or something he actually started talking fluent German and we were astonished. After he realised we didn't understand him at all he angrily left us, it was really awkward... But I suppose the plan worked!

• Bagu likes this

#9 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:12 AM

Yeah, Comic Sans might be infantile but I like it.

• Magi_Hero and Twilight Knight like this

#10 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:58 PM

This is pretty genius :)

It is me, after all  :snide:

I learned my first english lessons, when I played ZELDA 1, when I was 8 years old.
I got myself an english-german dictionary from the local library and had to translate almost every single word.
...but yeah, ZELDA tought me english.  :)

Impressive dedication.

I remember doing something similar with Rammstein songs back when that group was beginning to become a big name in America and there weren't English lyrics translations on the internet yet.

There's something oddly satisfying about spending so much time on getting a result you're actually interested in, even if it's a very small result.

btw...
The first Zelda game, which has also been released in a german version, was ALttP.

That's strange to hear.

See, I would think NES games were popular worldwide because of how popular they were in America, but this makes me realize I really had no idea what the international distribution was like for these old games. I only started connecting with the rest of world in early 2000's when the internet and forums were becoming a regular thing, so most 80's and 90's stuff is a mystery to me.

I think the other reason, though, is that the ZC community's largest non-English member group has always been German, and I also remember it used to have a fairly popular German website many years ago, so all this gave me the impression that Zelda 1 was a popular game in Germany.

But after saying "Guten tag" or something he actually started talking fluent German and we were astonished. After he realised we didn't understand him at all he angrily left us, it was really awkward... But I suppose the plan worked!

It had to happen at some point, I suppose.

And honestly, I was surprised that it never happened to me.

But I also said much longer sentences, and tended to be somewhat dismissive, so it's possible one of them actually did understand me and decided to leave it alone. Still, they usually just bowed out rather than responded in German, so I took that to mean they didn't understand, or else they might have at least said "too bad" or "ok, goodbye" or something to that extent.

It did occur to me that the only way for this to be 100% successful is to use an invented language, but... that's too much effort to get rid of salespeople, even for me.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#11 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:20 AM

Yeah, Comic Sans might be infantile but I like it.

Hehe, I was only joking, don't worry

It did occur to me that the only way for this to be 100% successful is to use an invented language, but... that's too much effort to get rid of salespeople, even for me.

Sounds like a plan!

• Lüt and Bagu like this

#12 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:20 AM

See, I would think NES games were popular worldwide because of how popular they were in America, but this makes me realize I really had no idea what the international distribution was like for these old games. I only started connecting with the rest of world in early 2000's when the internet and forums were becoming a regular thing, so most 80's and 90's stuff is a mystery to me.

You should look it up if you're interested, as it's quite fascinating, and not just for Nintendo systems, either. For example, the Sega Master System was much more successful outside the US, lasting a few years longer in Europe and even moreso in Brazil.

(Sorry for derailing the thread a tad. I'll go, now.)

Edited by FieryBirdyThing, 20 October 2020 - 06:20 AM.

• Bagu likes this

#13 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:47 AM

You should look it up if you're interested, as it's quite fascinating, and not just for Nintendo systems, either. For example, the Sega Master System was much more successful outside the US, lasting a few years longer in Europe and even moreso in Brazil.

(Sorry for derailing the thread a tad. I'll go, now.)

It shouldn't be a problem.

Honestly, I'd be interested in reading something detailing the success rates of early video games and consoles on an international level, but I'm not even sure what I should be searching for. Did you happen to know anything that does that?

• Bagu likes this

#14 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

I guess, the most 3 popular NES franchises are the same, almost everywhere...
Mario Bros., Zelda, Megaman/Rockman.

But there were so many more titles.
A lot of the were never available in germany.
I am so glad, that I can play them by emulation, now.

Edited by Bagu, 20 October 2020 - 08:30 AM.

#15 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:38 PM

Honestly, I'd be interested in reading something detailing the success rates of early video games and consoles on an international level, but I'm not even sure what I should be searching for. Did you happen to know anything that does that?

It's kind of tricky for me to answer that, since a lot of what I learned is mainly stuff picked up from various different videos and articles or just from looking up general information on something else (for example, I mainly learned about the MS's success in Brazil from articles in Retro Gamer magazine, and I think some Youtubers have covered it). I don't know what places would be likely to give lifespans/sales figures for consoles across more than US, Japan, and general Europe (that is, ignoring individual countries). I'd suggest searching for information on whichever consoles/games you're interested in; some of the more dedicated sites might have more information on particular successes in certain countries, and you could go from there.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help. As I said, most of what I know on the subject is stuff I've picked up while looking for more general information.

• Bagu likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Admins, Staff Crew, Developers, Members

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users