• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:18 PM

Hitodama is now a web novel!

Whether you enjoy the Yuurei series, or just enjoy a good book, Hitodama offers a brand new spin on the series that's friendly to newcomers and old fans alike. It's a serial web novel with updates every Thursday. While it follows some story beats from the game, the novel very much exists in its own world, with brand new places, events, and characters.

Are you interested in ghost stories? Tales of the macabre? Japanese and European folklore? Edit: The website has since gone down, but if you're still interested in reading, feel free to message me for a copy.

Here's quick synopsis for the story:

Spoiler

Thanks so much to the fans of the Yuurei series. Many of you have been with me through all of it since the Hitodama quest debuted six years ago. I would be delighted if you continue following me on this adventure as I delve into the realm of web fiction. Your support and encouragement over these years has meant the world to me.

Edit: The website has since gone down, but if you're still interested in reading, feel free to message me for a copy.

• ShadowTiger, Rambly, DarkFlameSheep and 10 others like this

#2 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:23 AM

Interesting but..

Spoiler

Edited by DarkFlame Sheep, 24 July 2020 - 01:51 AM.

• Aevin likes this

#3 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:22 AM

Looking at my reference, it seems you're right. I may go patch that up tomorrow. Thanks for the attention to detail!

#4 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:30 AM

Nice Story so far Aevin It reads Realy Interresting :D but It seems so that they also not Real Brothers :D

• Aevin likes this

#5 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:28 PM

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far! Even in the game, I never imagined the three wisps were actual brothers, but more that they developed a kinship over the years and become close like brothers.

I have a small announcement related to the web novel. I felt the need to provide a little something for those who support me on Patreon. Patrons will now have access to author commentary on the chapters, which will post on Patreon every Monday after the Thursday chapter updates. These commentaries will feature some thoughts I have on each chapter, related to things like Japanese cultural tidbits, my experience studying abroad, insights into the writing process, and more. It's nothing much, but I wanted to at least give something special as a thank you to those who support me. These commentaries won't replace discussion on the chapters here or anywhere else, and patrons are free to bring up the content posted there for discussion themselves.

#6 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:14 PM

Edit: I deleted this post by several reasons.

Edited by DarkFlame Sheep, 26 July 2020 - 08:52 AM.

#7 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:49 PM

The tie was a legitimate mistake, just a case of me seeing something incorrectly in my head that amounted to something of a typo. It's since been fixed. The rest of the outfit, I researched pretty thoroughly in terms of social class and appropriateness, and feel fairly confident in it. I don't think you ought to assume his social class based solely on the limited details given about his background so far.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to Japanese history and culture, but I do have a degree in the stuff, and I do my research.

#8 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:29 AM

I hurt your pride unintentionally, so I deleted that post once. I wanted to mean harmless historical gasps should be allowed in high fantasy entertainment creations as a generality. For instance, in Japanese cartoons and games, vast numbers of girls wears kimonos like short dresses, hehehe...

Edited by DarkFlame Sheep, 26 July 2020 - 10:14 AM.

#9 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:35 PM

You didn't need to delete your post, and my pride isn't particularly hurt. I do think it's important to be accurate on this stuff. The main point of the story may be to entertain, but part of my angle is that I can provide some insight into Japanese language and culture, and I'd hate to get that wrong.

#10 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:45 AM

By the way, did only I and Lordkronos reply? So I bring a fun thing.

Some Hitodama series characters's talking after they read until end of chapter 3

Spoiler

Edited by DarkFlame Sheep, 28 July 2020 - 02:53 AM.

• Russ likes this

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:22 AM

Spoiler

• DarkFlameSheep likes this

#12 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

I'd like to remind you all that the Hitodama novel updates once a week, on Thursdays. This week's chapter is up and ready for reading. Head over here to give it a read.

I won't be posting weekly updates here, so if you'd like to be notified of updates, I'd recommend you follow the story from the website, or join our server, The Labyrinth, for discussion of all things related to the series. I will be posting weekly updates there, so it's a great place to keep track of the story and have some discussions, too!

• Anthus likes this

#13 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:10 AM

I'm probably going to sit down when I get a decent swath of free time to just binge this.

#14 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:09 PM

Its Realy Interresting The Commons to The Games and Stil The many Differences between the Novel and The Games :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users