Photo

single One Point seeking Nine Zero

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

Version 1.90 is playable on the Nintendo Wii....

somewhat. with a lot of effort, you can get your Wii to run 1.90 well enough to play certain quests. emulating DOS is not ideal and most quests will suffer major problems. I don't think it will run ZQuest, though. correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by trudatman, 10 September 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#32 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

If I had enough space, time and resources, I would set up a 386 or 486 with Dos 6.0 and help you with any questions, but to be honest, very few features of 1.90 aren't documented that either do not exist or have greatly changed in 2.10 and 2.50. Most of your questions still have the same answers, it's just that few people remember the answers, because they stopped using those aspects.

At present I have no place to set up an old PC; on top of that, I would have to remember how to set up LAN networking in DOS to transfer files between it and my new hardware, and ensure that it has mouse support, and other factors. I had a PS/1 system and some PS/2 systems that would probably have run ZC (they ran Windows 2.1, Windows 3.0, and OS/2). Goodness knows where I stowed them.

What I might suggest is that the forum admins start a section 'Older ZC Versions' forum category, with subtopics (child boards) for 1.90, 1.92 and 2.10, which may help sort out this kind of thread.

Do you happen to know what problems 1.90 has in various emulators? I have VirtualPC on my G5, and some DOS emulators for Linux. I don;t know how badly it performs, or what to expect, but if you have questions on how to use functions of the interface, I'm sure I can try to help you. I simply think that there aren't enough people around here anymore with systems capable of running the programme, much less the inclination to use it.

I remember trying it years ago, and I honestly don't find the 2.10-style interface much different.

I do think that it was around 1.92 that a few bugs crept into ZC, such as segmented enemies having one drop per segment, and other oddities. Now, people have become used to them, and at least we have the quest rule that I requested to fox segmented enemies, and the peahat clock fix.

I just wish that 2.50 for PowerPC (which was announced at one time) was available. Then, I could run ZQyest on my G5, with its nice dual-displays, real keyboard (and Coda), instead of running it on a netbook.

P.S. Didn't 1.90 originally come with a few .txt files that explained how to use everything?

P.P.S. Unless there is a WiiKeyboard and Mouse, even if you could run ZQuest on a Wii, you couldn't use it.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 10 September 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#33 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

A WiiRemote works fine as a mouse. I'm assuming any DOS emulator on the Wii would be set up to take advantage of that.

And you can use any regular USB keyboard on a Wii - it supports it out of the box.

#34 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

I've never owned one, so I didn't know that it had KB support. I remember the KB & Mouse set for the Saturn, and even owned a set, however there was never much of a point to them unless you had the modem to do with them, for the very short-lived Internet support.

I have known people that hacked their Wii to run emulators, although from what I recall, the process broke other capabilities. I never found a compelling reason to bother with the console. The largest library that would interest me is on the VC, and I already own the systems and games that would run on that. I tried to play 'Punch-Out' on the VC and it was terrible: The delayed response time made it a horrific experience.

I did try the console in several instances, and the Wii-remote would, IMHO be as efficient a mouse as the 3D0 remote. It has enough problems selecting from menus, especially with less precision movement, particularly when you need to hold it in a specific spot without it twitching. I expect that this is the reason that drawing symbols in Skyward Sword is so forgiving.

#35 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

....very few features of 1.90 aren't documented that either do not exist or have greatly changed in 2.10 and 2.50. Most of your questions still have the same answers, it's just that few people remember the answers, because they stopped using those aspects.

what?

....What I might suggest is that the forum admins start a section 'Older ZC Versions' forum category, with subtopics (child boards) for 1.90, 1.92 and 2.10, which may help sort out this kind of thread.

yeah, help them (it, really) to get zero views and somehow even fewer responses.

Do you happen to know what problems 1.90 has in various emulators?...

I'm pretty sure most/many quests just plain won't load. I haven't had the need to try, as 1.90 is the only ZQuest I've ever gotten to run and it took no effort for me to get it going.

....if you have questions on how to use functions of the interface, I'm sure I can try to help you.

that's not it. I've been using the program for a full decade, so my questions aren't usually related to the interface. they are more often about the way the program runs or the more difficult aspects of accomplishing what is possible.

I simply think that there aren't enough people around here anymore with systems capable of running the programme, much less the inclination to use it.

yep. therein lies the issue. I'm trying to find any needles in this haystack. I've found MP3 players.

....Didn't 1.90 originally come with a few .txt files that explained how to use everything?...

"everything?" I'm sure it did not. if anybody wants to point to any 1.90-specific resources, I'd be appreciative.

#36 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

For the record, I am not going to try to convert you to anything. you made it clear, and I understand. Hells bells, I still enjoy running older software for the Apple II, C64, Atari XE, Atari ST, Mac 68K, Amiga, Spectrum, and Apple Lisa (how obscure is that?? I actually have custom Lisa software, burred somewhere that I made in LisaPascal).

I get the feeling that you are more interested in the classic vibe, and feel a nice warmth doing it the old way, and I understand that.

You say that you have been working on a quest for a decade, so I expect you have an amazing quality of extensive patience, and thus if you can wait during my long stretches of going insanse by being overburdened, I am willing to try to assist you: I will see what happens running 1.90 on an emulator first and if it causes problems. For all I know I can run it with WINE, but I have run Linux OSes in PC emulators, so running a DOS environment shouldn't be impossible.

I have DOS systems, but they are not in my immediate ability to retrieve (in storage); even if I used one, i would need to network it somehow, and that is a huge headache. (I don;t even have a running system with a floppy drive at present to do a sneakernet connection), and I doubt there are any ISA cards for USB out there, although I could probably make one. That would be silly, but might be neat, although I'd probably need to use <64MB SD/CF cards.)

All of this depends on your timeline, but as I said, i am willing to help when I can. I am absurdly busy now working on actual work, plus my books, editing, and working on two quests of my own and assisting others with theirs.

I suppose my idea for having an 'Older ZC' board depends on your point of view. having one would make it easier to have conversations with people not using 2.5, as the boards would not be cluttered with 2.5 related topics. I'm big on categorisation, which shows in the forums that I admin, as I have sub-boards for many things that others might not.

if I saw a post in a board for older ZC versions asking for help with 1.90, first, i wouldn't wonder what it meant, and second, I'd not be as aggressive in trying to convince anyone to change versions, as by posting there, you're already making the statement 'This is what I want!'.

I will try to find 1.90-related docs for you; archive.org is your friend there.

I presune you have read everything by Alphadawg?

Did the Misc types info that I gave you work?

By the time I got into ZC, 1.92 was out, and I only had Mac systems on hand, so I never bothered much with 1.90 simply because it ran only on DOS.. I tried to run it on VPC (PowerPC OS 10.2 or 10.3), and I recall that it did run, but beyond that, i don;t really recall the interface differences between that and 1.92.

Here is a question for the DEVS: How much original documentation and material do you have from Phantom Menace, Dark Nation (sorely missed) and Alphadawg?

(Someone please poke at Gleeock and Saffith on this one.)

Given enough documentation, I could write User Manuals for each version of ZC. That is one of my primary occupations...

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 12 September 2013 - 12:24 AM.

• Jared likes this

#37 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

it's not so much that I'm more interested in the classic vibe, it's that 1.90 is the only version of ZQuest I have ever gotten to run on any of the four computers I have. although I do like classic Zelda Classic, I would use 2.5 (for one of my quests) if I could get it to work. speaking of not working, did you get a 404 error from the AlphaDawg link? the MISC TYPE reply wasn't anything I could relate to my question on the topic. I'd be happy if you made any further efforts to assist on anything, but do try to understand the question(s) before spending your time rattling off essays that kind of relate to something I mentioned. I'll take help from anybody willing to run 1.90.

#38 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

I technically have ZC 1.90 but I never use it. I don't think that is any help though.

Edited by coolgamer012345, 12 September 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#39 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

I agree. do you feel compelled to post?

if anybody uses the program or has decent recollections of using it in the past, hit me up. if you'd be willing to use the program to any real extent, get at me.

#40 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

I suppose it;s probably stuff that you already know in any case, but the link is:
http://onesword.cele...adawg Tutorial/

He might be a go-to guy with questions however, for anything esoteric relating to 1.90.

#41 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

yeah, that's what I learned from when the tutorial was brand new and until it got its last update. I'm looking to explore beyond the basics and make the constraints bulge a bit.

#42 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Wow, am I really the only guy. You galldurn whippersnappers and your fancy new-fangled scripting.

I've still dicked with 1.90 in the past year or so. My old Windows 98 rig had 1.90 on it and if I dig it back up I might just start playing with it again.

#43 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

would it bother you if I message you with questions, ideas and the likes? for what have you been using it?

#44 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

I can use the 1.90 editor without any bugs, as well as the player (bad midis/sfx) but it works. Are you saying you want a collaboritve 1.90 quest to be made?

I rarely use 1.90 (still using 2.10) but it's always interested me for some reason. I agree with your reasons to keep using it. My favorite quests have all been 1.90 quests.

Edited by Brian, 13 September 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#45 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

it's not so much that I want to make a collaborative quest (yet) in 1.90. it's more that I'm looking for somebody with whom to discuss the editor. "how does ____ work?" "do you know what changing the ____ would do?" "what's the animation pattern for ____?" ....that kind of stuff. it would be great if I could share my demo updates with somebody knowledgeable about the possibilities and limits of the program, so the feedback is less of "you should have layers/scripts/animations/custom enemies" and more of "because the ____ uses the same sprite for ____ and ____ and the same one mirrored for ____, you could probably...." that said, my quests are all freeware in that I share the edit code (723), so folks are welcomed to open the games up in the programs with which they are being made and offer ideas. if, as an example, you like Sticks And Stones enough to really want to participate, I could be willing to make room for coconspirators that offer valuable assistance. now, still, after having disclosed all of that, if the circumstances were agreeable, I wouldn't necessarily be against starting a new collaborative project and I can imagine a Foxx/Brian/Fausch/Schwa/Tru/whomever 1.90 project being pretty freaking sweet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users